Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April ride invite/ hwy 12&89

April ride invite/ hwy 12&89

This will be my first extended ride and I'm really looking forward to it. I thought I'd put out the invite in case anyone else wants to hit the road in April as well!

I'm thinking about the 2nd week in April, leave Friday night or Saturday morning and return home Sunday evening. I'd like to go from Spanish Fk canyon down hwy 89 to Salina, across 24 to Capital Reef, down 12 through Boulder/escalante, stop at Bryce and return on 89.

Obviously we won't be setting any land speed records with 2 or 2 1/2 days to go 600 miles, but there will be some cool stops along the way. (hike into Calf Creek Falls?)

I figured we'd get a room in either Boulder or Escalante..? I've only driven through there once so I can't remember the lodging availability along this route.

If you have any suggestions let me know, and you are more than welcome to join.
    Peace!
    Ian

linky http://www.scenicbyway12.com/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds fun. I'll have to check my schedule as we get closer. Keep me posted on here as your plans develop.

Sooo... 600 miles... what are we gonna do after lunch??

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    Sooo... 600 miles... what are we gonna do after lunch??

ha.. yeah, gotta start somewhere I just want to go cruise and have fun. What I'd really like to do is a trip with on and off road miles, but the other bikes going on this ride are only meant for pavement

So... who's in?

Bail out of town on Fri and head to Torrey? Hit Boulder Mtn, Burr Trail, Escalante to Bryce on Sat am... then lunch at Tanya's before running North?

Too many routes this direction - pick one and sign us up.....

Might be doable for me. Need a few more details and a solid Date.

Mtnbiker had suggested the second week in April - that would make it Friday the 11th. As usual, I vote we pick a direction and head out... see what happens from there! Looks like it's time to do lunch and discuss options.

Mtnbiker... you started this - time to weigh in!

If you are talkin bout a ride on pavement with road bikes that may be a ride i could tag along. Depends on the date for sure im getting out of the marines on the 9th so if its after that im there
    WHAT STANDS IF FREEDOM FALLS?

Hey guys, sorry to be delinquent on my own dang post! I was just trying to figure out my schedule with a possible snowboarding trip to Aspen for the week before...

So... so far things look good for the 2nd weekend in April (11-13th) for the moto trip! Let's doo it. I think we should leave Saturday morning and bring a map and feel it out. But generally I assume we'll follow something like this: I-15 to hwy 6, south on 89 to Salina, east to Capital Reef, south on 12 through Boulder to Bryce (a detour to Tanya's was suggested?) and back north on 89. If something else looks good, shoot, lets ride it.

Double Moo.... you mentioned the Burr trail. I'm assuming that's an off-road.. uh, road? I think we'll have some full on roadies with us so maybe this trip we'll stick to the tarmac. I want to hit the dirt sometime so maybe we'll just have to plan another ride!

How about an evening planning/BS session at Iggy's in Sandy? I live in Draper too so it'd be convenient. Wed or Thurs next week??

Ian

I would be in, I will check the post and look forward for the details.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    Double Moo.... you mentioned the Burr trail. I'm assuming that's an off-road.. uh, road? I think we'll have some full on roadies with us so maybe this trip we'll stick to the tarmac. I want to hit the dirt sometime so maybe we'll just have to plan another ride!
    Ian
    The Burr Trail is paved from Boulder to the Capital Reef border - maybe 30 miles or so of great ride - worth doing both ways!

Yeah that looks awesome.. I'd love to ride the Burr Trail. I'm assuming we'd just go out and back from Boulder on the paved section? Sounds like there's some nasty switchbacks after it turns to dirt.
    http://www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/CAREmap1.pdf

Hope we get some good weather!

where abouts in Draper are you? I'm in the flat lands due south of the Kwal Howells store..

I'm up on the hill in proximity of the Suncrest market. It's all downhill from my house

So, question to everyone who's thinking of riding: Hypothetically speaking would the following weekend work for you still - the weekend of the 19th???

Just curious, so let me know and we'll nail down the date for sure by this weekend!

So...we possibly have: Hanker, Acca, Live2ride, D.Moo. Cool!

Ian

Gotta ride down to Vegas the following weekend - as does another friend who may join us. Still planning on the 11-12-13th.

moo

That would be the april 19 correct

Either weekend most likely im there I will keep checkin up on this thing to find out the details once they are set in stone

K Fellas, the 12th 13th it is. Not much time to write this morning but lets plan on that weekend!

Hanker, are you driving from Hawaii?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker
    K Fellas, the 12th 13th it is. Not much time to write this morning but lets plan on that weekend!

Hanker, are you driving from Hawaii?
    check your PMs