Thread: Tale of Survival

Tale of Survival

I enjoying reading tales of survival.

Lost snowboarder reveals how he survived on wits
    Westminster man, 24, finds himself alone on icy mountain, discovers inner strength.
    Author: David Whiting

All alone in dark, in the wind and the snow and the trees, Oscar Gonzales Jr. started to wonder if the numbness in his feet meant he was losing his battle for survival.

It had been hours since a bad turn followed by an even worse fall sent the Westminster snowboarder tumbling into the nether world that is the back country around Mountain High resort near Wrightwood.

The cold had started in his toes and was creeping up his legs. His gloves were so wet they were useless. His boots were soaked. The flannel pajama bottoms under his snow pants weren't much better. The T-shirt, long-sleeved shirt and sweatshirt beneath his jacket were damp.

Unaware that three people, including two ski patrol members, had been killed in an avalanche only a few miles away and several hours earlier, it didn't seem like there was much to be thankful for on this Friday night, Jan. 18.

But Gonzales silently thanked his friend anyway for the balaclava that covered his neck and head, leaving holes for his mouth, nostrils and eyes. Except for what seemed like a tiny spot deep in his chest, Gonzales' head was the only warm area on his body.

Twenty-four years old, 5-foot-six inches tall and 150 pounds, Gonzales knew he was slowly freezing to death.

Then Gonzales did two things so seemingly simple it's difficult to fathom they were acts that possibly saved his life, and certainly helped assure he didn't lose his fingers and toes to frostbite.

He thought about what he needed to do. And then he took action, in this case simply walking around.

From 20th Century Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton to Aron Ralston, who cut his hand off to extricate himself from Utah's Bluejohn Canyon in 2003, experts agree the most important traits for a survivor is the ability to stay calm, assess the situation and take action.

Sound easy?

Not when you're walking the razor's edge between life and death, when you're alone and there isn't much more than a little insulation and thin nylon to protect you from the limitless power of nature, when certain decisions can kill, when doubts about your wisdom and actions are enough to puncture holes in your very sanity.

Curious about how someone could emerge virtually unscathed out of the same icy mountains which have swallowed up veteran hikers and climbers, I contacted Gonzales a few days after he was spotted by a search and rescue helicopter on Saturday.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like the last part, we can pick and chose where we hike/climb, but the end point in our lives is always chosen for us by someone else up there.

Way cool! Keeping your head is the best thing. What a great story.
    I like how he had faith and sense.
    There are times in my past when I pushed and pushed myself stumbling through some unknown terrain to make it back before midnight. When, I should just suck it up and prepare to spend the night. I worry about SAR embarrassment of all the posts as he shoulda woulda coulda etc. Family worried through the night, Not making it to work the next day.....

There comes a time when the calm assessment needs to be made and
    all that crap needs to be forced out of my head. Now, I've got to think about my survival. It's those stressful obligations that push me beyond my physical limits, crawling in the dark, pulled hammy, etc. and for what?

I have a midnight rule at my house. If not back by midnight, wife knows something is way wrong on a day hike. Next morn, she is to call the sheriff office, etc. She's got a list of numbers for parks, police, etc.

So, there has to come a point where I say too bad, so sad....I've got to think only of me and my current situation, remain calm, and survive.

Thanks! good post!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Very cool story. But why was he out of bounds? Why didn't Ralston tell someone where he was going. I am not saying that every situation is the same but I bet that kid doesn't go out of bounds anymore, and Ralston tells someone where he is and what his plans are. First step of survival, plan and tell someone where you'll be. I think that if you are solo hiking it is even more important to tell someone what your plans are. Glad the guy is alright. Sad to hear about the ski patrol in the avi.
    The man thong is wrong.

Wow, what an ordeal.

Bogley BigShot