Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Winter Day in Zion - East Rim Trail to Echo Canyon

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks.... Bo would know. He sells those and I think has worn them. We were spoiled and has the SAR tracks on. Those were heavy duty and nice!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    You guys are wearing crampons?

Anybody ever heard of/used these? And more importantly, do they work OK? I'm thinking of buying a pair.

http://www.yaktrax.com/productspro.aspx

Nice pics Bo. I've gotta get out there to Zion during Snowy conditions!
    I just love winter scenery. Tanya, you look great too!
    I've been using these mostly this winter. They stay put on your shoes and they work on Ice, snow, rock and concrete

http://www.kahtoola.com/kts_aluminum.html

The steel version will last longer if you plan a lot of mixed travel though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

Anybody ever heard of/used these? And more importantly, do they work OK? I'm thinking of buying a pair.

http://www.yaktrax.com/productspro.aspx

Nice pics Bo. I've gotta get out there to Zion during Snowy conditions!
    I just love winter scenery. Tanya, you look great too!
    I've been using these mostly this winter. They stay put on your shoes and they work on Ice, snow, rock and concrete

http://www.kahtoola.com/kts_aluminum.html

The steel version will last longer if you plan a lot of mixed travel though.
    Thanks Bo. Those look super, but I'm not looking to outlay much cash for something "serious" as those, just yet. I'm thinking bout coming out and doing winter hike in Zion, and just wonder (after seeing your photos) if it would be prudent to have something other than plain rubber soles for traction. The thought crossed my mind to bring snowshoes with me.
    Maybe both? Snowshoes and shoe cables?

I can't wait to get out into not so sunny weather!
    It's 80 degrees here! ~ I am not a fan of hot weather!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Thanks Bo. Those look super, but I'm not looking to outlay much cash for something "serious" as those, just yet. I'm thinking bout coming out and doing winter hike in Zion, and just wonder (after seeing your photos) if it would be prudent to have something other than plain rubber soles for traction. The thought crossed my mind to bring snowshoes with me.

Yeah, they are pretty spendy! They way the weather is going right now you may not even need long pants! I think the snow is melting pretty rapidly, but crampons will sure be useful up higher! I do have YakTrax as well. If you are on your way up, stop by and I can get you set up. I also have a pair of personal Kahtoolas that you would be welcome to borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

Yeah, they are pretty spendy! They way the weather is going right now you may not even need long pants! I think the snow is melting pretty rapidly, but crampons will sure be useful up higher! I do have YakTrax as well. If you are on your way up, stop by and I can get you set up. I also have a pair of personal Kahtoolas that you would be welcome to borrow.
    Thanks. I hope the snow holds out!
    I haven't decided yet, but I've been thinking of doing the cable mountain (loop) hike with an overnight.
    But maybe you could recommend a couple of other hikes to check out?
    I was thinking next weekend or the following.

Do you have a favorite overhight hike that involves trail hiking and great views?

Thanks for the gear offer. That's nice of you.
    I might take you up on that if it works out!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Thanks, Win! Dippers are cool! They just look like they're having way too much fun doing it!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Hi, Tanya, Bo! Could I maybe borrow those CRAMPONS

to AEREATE my yard this spring? hehe jerry

Now, there's a business opp for someone and a great way to get some exercise, too!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Thanks. I hope the snow holds out!
    I haven't decided yet, but I've been thinking of doing the cable mountain (loop) hike with an overnight.
    But maybe you could recommend a couple of other hikes to check out?
    I was thinking next weekend or the following.

Do you have a favorite overhight hike that involves trail hiking and great views?

Thanks for the gear offer. That's nice of you.
    I might take you up on that if it works out!

~Randi
    Randi, I'm not too sure that the high country in Zion will be too agreeable without both crampons and snowshoes this weekend or next. If you don't mind plugging along, then the highcountry might be just the ticket. If I were wanting to get out for an overnighter with some great views, and didn't mind camping on the snow, I would get a set of crampons and try to beat my way up to the saddle that separates Pine Creek from Spry Canyon. There are some level areas on top of the saddle that would yield to some comfortable camping, dayhiking from the saddle down to some frozen streams in Spry and yet not too vigorous to take it all out of you. Just my idea of a good overnighter...minimal effort, nice views and less snow to deal with. I would still bring yaktrax or some sort of foot traction to thwart any dicey spots. I may be wrong, but just an opinion and plan I might try.