Thread: Middle Provo

Middle Provo

I decided to go to Strawberry today and either find some soft water at the ladders or offer a couple bucks to use someone's auger (no ice gear). I got up pretty early and was almost at Daniels Summit before first light.

The summit was really stormy though and I knew it wouldn't be long until some serious snow started falling. There was already a layer of snow covering the road and I didn't want to get stuck on the Strawberry side...No really.

So I turned around and thought about Deer Creek, but ultimately didn't want to be an "auger bum", so I ended up at the fisherman's access upstream from Charleston Bridge on the Middle Provo.

I was hungry for fish, so I threw on a night crawler and got a limit of rainbows after wading around for awhile.

I was really surprised that I didn't see any browns in that stretch. The bows are usually the rare species in the river. They're getting ready to spawn though. The two smaller ones I got today were really milty.

It was a good day, but it was over too fast.

Happy Fishing, Humans.

Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice little catch you got there...So, were they tasty? How did you prepare them for the tummy

These were just planter bows that migrated up from Deer Creek reservoir and they were pretty small so they didn't get "the treatment".

I just cut their heads off and threw them in a hot pan with some butter, peeled the skin off once they were done and seasoned with lemon pepper.

For big ones with real meat, I'll wrap them in foil and place in the oven at 350 for 40-60 minutes (depending on size) with a liberal amount of butter in the cavity. Once the fins pull right out in a clump, it's ready and I can peel off the skin and season.

A really good seasoning to use besides lemon pepper is Montreal Steak seasoning. It's damn good.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Nice, I am itching to get out and do a little fishing myself...

Quote Originally Posted by LOAH
    It's damn good.
    Thanks for the info

Those rainbows like to congregate right under the Charleston bridge this time of the year. I would be careful though. This area is artificial flies and lures only and it has been for serveral years. I think that the limit is 2 rainbows per a person. I have seen people being checked regularly there for non compliance. I am a strict flyfisherman so I don't know what the fine is for using bait.

I appreciate the concern, but the water upstream from Deer Creek to the "Legacy" bridge is general reg. Upstream from the Legacy bridge to the Jordanelle dam is AFL with a limit of 2 under 15.

That's why you see the line of powerbaiters along the Charleston Bridge during the rainbow spawn.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

sorry to hijack the thread. Loah I am pretty sure I saw you in the 2008 fishing proclamation. am I right?
    The man thong is wrong.

Yep. Page 6 holding a pike from Yuba.

I submitted that pic to DWRcomment@utah.gov because they have a little hotspot section on their website that highlights Yuba and their blurb has a picture of a small pavilion with hardly any water in the shot.

I thought the existing photo was pretty lame and didn't show what Yuba is really like. It didn't make me want to pay the $7.00 day use fee.

I figured they may have just been short on stock photos, so I turned in the pic hoping for a more exciting image to appear on the website.

Turns out, they did me one better and 2 months later sent me an email requesting permission to post my pic.

Obviously, I obliged.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Very cool!
    The man thong is wrong.

Sweet! Got a copy of the pic?

Here's the pic they used:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Quote Originally Posted by LOAH
    Here's the pic they used: