Thread: What about the Fruita campground at Capitol Reef?

What about the Fruita campground at Capitol Reef?

If you have ever camped at this campground, I need to know all you can tell me about it. Specifically, I'm wondering about heat, insects, proximity of showers etc. I'll be going there in mid to late August.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's nice, and it's convenient. There is an area for tents only, otherwise, it's a standard, national park campground - RV's people, etc. The bathrooms are nice and there is some great hiking right from the campground.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

The website shows that there are showers within 12 miles, but do you have any idea where? Also, we were there in May of last year (just a few hours, not camping) and there were a bunch of no-see-um bugs that bit. Any idea if these are seasonal, or if they are there all the time? Do you know if there are water spouts at the campground?

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    The website shows that there are showers within 12 miles, but do you have any idea where? Also, we were there in May of last year (just a few hours, not camping) and there were a bunch of no-see-um bugs that bit. Any idea if these are seasonal, or if they are there all the time? Do you know if there are water spouts at the campground?
    We were going to stay there last July but got tipped off that there were better camping spots nearby. So after researching it we stayed at one of the campgrounds on the north slope of the boulder mt, off of the paved road that goes from Boulder to Capitol Reef. We drove into the park every day and it was only like a 20 minute drive, but there were no bugs, only a few people, and much more tolerable temps. Very scenic too. god luck.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    We were going to stay there last July but got tipped off that there were better camping spots nearby. So after researching it we stayed at one of the campgrounds on the north slope of the boulder mt, off of the paved road that goes from Boulder to Capitol Reef. We drove into the park every day and it was only like a 20 minute drive, but there were no bugs, only a few people, and much more tolerable temps. Very scenic too. god luck.
    That's a great idea. Were these improved campsites with running water and restrooms, and can I get there in a passenger car?

That's a great idea. Were these improved campsites with running water and restrooms, and can I get there in a passenger car?
    Yep. Toilets and running water when i was there. No bugs. Also the campground we stayed at had a nice little hike to a big waterfall. Easy for the kids.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I got a few pics of the campsite area if you're interested.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Post them, please!
    "All roads, all codes!"

Yes, please post them. Sorry, I've been out of town for the past few days and am only now getting to reading these posts.

Here are a couple of pics from the campground perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

late august will be a great time. Mosquiteos will have mellowed down, and I dont think you'll have trouble with noseums. Peachs should be ripe for the picking. Apples will probably be ready too. The showers you were referring to are likely in Torrey. The campground has tons of trees, so shade won't be a problem. Take your bike and take a spin around in the evening time. even though the campground always fills up, as long as you are there before 10:00 am you should not have trouble finding a spot. Loop C is the best, and if you like the ranger programs, you are right next to the amphitheater. Have fun.
    If the trail is too long, you're too old.

Yes, please post them. Sorry, I've been out of town for the past few days and am only now getting to reading these posts.
    Sorry for the delay, I've been super busy. I've posted the few i have from the campground. They give you an idea of the terrain.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I just got back here again. Do you know for sure what the name of that campsite was? It sure looks nice there.

Do you know for sure what the name of that campsite was? It sure looks nice there.
    The name of the campground being referred to is Single Tree.

Thanks. I was guessing that was the one.