Thread: Death Valley and Red Rocks

Death Valley and Red Rocks

Did two canyons down in Death Valley (Styx and Darwin). Styx involves a HUGE elevation loss (over 5000 feet) and is by far most interesting as it passes through the final layer of rock, where most of the rappels, downclimbs, and good scenery are. Darwin was a short rest day, it is flowing but really short. The first rap down the waterfall, getting pounded by flow was a lot of fun. We also attempted to climb Pyramid Peak but only Bill Wolverton (Escalante ranger), and his buddy Steve, made it. Their tolerance of exposed unprotected 5th class climbing was higher than the rest of us. On the drive home we did a little climbing at Red Rocks to break things up. Temps were in the high 70's and low 80's, it was REALLY nice, but I got considerably worked as I've obviously been too lazy this winter! My legs are still sore from all that downhill. Links to pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ericgodf...leyAndRedRocks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

no blooms yet ?

we plan on doing bad or hades canyon in the next 2/3 weeks. hope the flowers are blooming then.
    signature

There were actually a bunch of flowers in the main valley. Lots of tourists taking pictures, but I never stopped, just looked from the car. I didn't do hades or bad, but was told bad is mediocre but hades is good. Apparently cerebus (spelling?) is most peoples favorite, especially if you like rappels. Something like 30 raps, 2 of them near 300 feet.

Eric, you are a dog. I should've come. Blast.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    There were actually a bunch of flowers in the main valley. Lots of tourists taking pictures, but I never stopped, just looked from the car. I didn't do hades or bad, but was told bad is mediocre but hades is good. Apparently cerebus (spelling?) is most peoples favorite, especially if you like rappels. Something like 30 raps, 2 of them near 300 feet.
    I
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn