Thread: Early Season Behunin or other recommendations

Early Season Behunin or other recommendations

I have a weekend in mid-March that I hope to do a canyon. I am tagging along with my son and his 3 college roommates. They are wanting to do Behunin; none of the group have done it before.

Having heard that Behunin is a three season canyon, can it be completed in March?

Other options are heading to North Wash (Maidenwater or Land of Oz).

Recommendations for a mid March trip for this year?

Thanks.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    It's been a wet year.... you might want to do Birch Hollow instead of Behunin. I love Birch Hollow too... it's a fun and beautiful canyon. Also you won't need permits for Birch unless you are going to hiking out Orderville then out the Narrows, but then you are back into cold stuff for that season.

Zion is not the ideal destination for mid-march canyons.

Some of the better Mid-March canyons are found in North Wash, Poison Springs and Roost.

If you have not done the Poison Springs canyons (Arscenic, Slideanide and Constrychnine) you might want to put them near the top of your list.....

And just about everything in the Roost is fun in March.

I've done Behunin in February before, but that was in a very dry year. IF, and I emphasize IF the slope at the pass that you must descend is snow-free, then my hunch is you will deal with snow and water in the bottom. When we did it, I remember that snow pack was somewhere around 50-60% of normal. When we were heading up to Behunin Pass, we were in some nasty ice and snow that was pretty dicey in places. You know, north facing type stuff. My hunch is that if you go in, take a wet suit, a bunch of rope as you may be setting up a bunch of safety lines in the top section and encountering more water than normal. Better yet, go to the north wash or roost as others have suggested.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    It's been a wet year.... you might want to do Birch Hollow instead of Behunin. I love Birch Hollow too... it's a fun and beautiful canyon. Also you won't need permits for Birch unless you are going to hiking out Orderville then out the Narrows, but then you are back into cold stuff for that season.
    Is the road to Birch even open or passable this time of year? Seems like there may be a bunch of snow and ice in there but then again I have never done it. I just can't get past Englestead.
    Life is Good

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Is the road to Birch even open or passable this time of year? Seems like there may be a bunch of snow and ice in there but then again I have never done it. I just can't get past Englestead.
    We started Birch right at the road

That is a great point about the road! I think it should be fine though, but you would not be able to drive in as far as you could on a dry day in the summer.

I know there is a short cut but we sort of looked at it and chose to do the regular entrance.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: Early Season Behunin or other recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk
    They are wanting to do Behunin; none of the group have done it before.

Having heard that Behunin is a three season canyon, can it be completed in March?
    Like everyone else has said there is a lot of snow in Zion. A decent down into Behunin in the snow on the exposed slab could be dangerous.

You realy need to read Tom Jones post about Zion conditions.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10262
    Tom wrote: "there is likely deep snow getting up to Behunin pass."
    From my recent Zion trip there is a lot of snow in Refrigerator canyon requiring good traction to continue hiking up to scout's lookout, let alone to Behunin pass.

Another thing Tom writes about Behunin is:

I got a permit (rafting) for Desolation canyon for May 30th, this is going to be so awesome! Woot!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I got a permit (rafting) for Desolation canyon for May 30th, this is going to be so awesome! Woot!

So are Bogely.com people invited.

The wife and I did Deso about 5 years ago, it was a great trip.

Had two bears come through camp one night. A week later a rafter got atttacked by one of the bears.

Hey Alex, if you use Topo! you might want this file. It's a nice one to have when rafting Desolation and Gray Canyon.

And if you don't have Topo Utah then ping me sideband.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rafting Destinations

Hey if you're looking for a good rafting or kayaking destination in may I highly recommend the subway.....

Bogley BigShot
    We need to move this to the rafting section so the boaters see it.