Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: South Canyon - Grand Canyon

  1. #21
    It's about time we got some wet t shirt photos up here.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #22
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    Just a shiny shirt.. totally dry and with one of those flattening sports bras beneath. Sorry

  4. #23
    Awesome!! That looks like a beautiful place. Bet you're glad you went Saturday!

    Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

    Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

  5. #24
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    Yes, the weather was magnificent! We could not have asked for anything better! I think the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon is my favorite place. It was hard to leave!

  6. #25
    Great pictures!

  7. #26
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    12,534
    Great trip you guys, what about Bob?

  8. #27
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    Thanks Felicia.....

    I figured you were wondering Kurt...

    He laughed about your out of the frying pan and into the fire statement a couple of times on the hike down into the canyon.

    Bob had a rough time on the hike down. His legs starting shaking after we hit the Esplanade. He made it down to South Canyon and rested there for a couple of hours until Bo and I made it back from the river. We picked up a Doctor though.... so Bob had lots of attention on the hike out from Both Doc John and Bo. He was thrilled with what he was able to do even though he did not make it to the river. He was great company and a joy to be around!

    On the other trip.. It's good Bob did not choose that one. Courtney tells me his was near epic but seems to be withholding details until we get together.. maybe this Sunday. You should come with us!

    Here is the updated trail report....

    I am going to try and get the photo album done. There is an old album back from when I use to post the photos small, but I am redoing it.


    http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...and-canyon.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #28
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    12,534
    your stormfront picture is INCREDIBLE

  10. #29
    Love the pix, Tanya. The one of the storm is magnificent.
    Stan

    Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

  11. #30
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    Thanks guys! It was so cool looking! I did not really want to get out and shoot it but since Bob did... I did too. Glad I did!

  12. #31
    hey tanya & bo

    i very much enjoyed the report and the photos.

    it made me reflect on a trip i did with nat and our friend pieter about 4 years ago. we came down south canyon via the std route. we then hiked along the redwall limestone ledge most of the way to nankoweap, the final bit along the river. then out the nankoweap trail.

    if i have this correct, the arrow points to the ledges we walked along on river right

    and the vantage point here in your photo looks spendid! lucky you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #32
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    hey tanya & bo

    i very much enjoyed the report and the photos.

    it made me reflect on a trip i did with nat and our friend pieter about 4 years ago. we came down south canyon via the std route. we then hiked along the redwall limestone ledge most of the way to nankoweap, the final bit along the river. then out the nankoweap trail.

    if i have this correct, the arrow points to the ledges we walked along on river right

    and the vantage point here in your photo looks spendid! lucky you!!
    Do you ever get down to the river on that route? Where did you go up and out of South Canyon?

  14. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Do you ever get down to the river on that route?
    we took about 3 long days of hiking before the first (non-technical, though intense) route down to the river (lovely). water was also a serious concern (even with a midway water cache). then it's a part day trip along the river itself to nankoweap.

    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Where did you go up and out of South Canyon?
    from our camp on the river, we hiked back up to the rim of the redwall limestone, contoured around the lower slot of south canyon at that level, and continued down marble canyon. contouring around the sidecanyons dropping into marble was a regular theme, adding many extra miles to the river miles.

  15. #34
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Do you ever get down to the river on that route?
    we took about 3 long days of hiking before the first (non-technical, though intense) route down to the river (lovely). water was also a serious concern (even with a midway water cache). then it's a part day trip along the river itself to nankoweap.

    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Where did you go up and out of South Canyon?
    from our camp on the river, we hiked back up to the rim of the redwall limestone, contoured around the lower slot of south canyon at that level, and continued down marble canyon. contouring around the sidecanyons dropping into marble was a regular theme, adding many extra miles to the river miles.
    What did you think of the route? Is it written up somewhere or where you just exploring? Have photos?

  16. #35
    it made me reflect on a trip i did with nat and our friend pieter about 4 years ago. we came down south canyon via the std route. we then hiked along the redwall limestone ledge most of the way to nankoweap, the final bit along the river. then out the nankoweap trail.

    That must've been an AMAZING trip! What? Like 50 miles total?

    if i have this correct, the arrow points to the ledges we walked along on river right

    Thats correct

    and the vantage point here in your photo looks spendid! lucky you!

    The vantage from the top of the UPS Trail all the way down is great. By far the most scenic 1 mile hike to get to South Canyon

  17. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    What did you think of the route? Is it written up somewhere or where you just exploring? Have photos?
    it was a hard hike, amplified by very warm march weather. it was amazing to be able to follow that bench (which widens considerably over the distance towards nankoweap). the grand canyon is an incredible place. the beach we finally landed at, after the "goat trail" route down to the river, was simply sublime. walking along the river was lovely, though quite challenging trying to push our packs through the thicket. the nankoweap trail was great.

    Steck's two books Grand Canyon Loop Hike I & II have been our source for GC stuff. these are out of print (still can be found used). falcon, however, has released a book with the same title. i have not looked at it, so i don't know whether or not it contains all of I&II.

    harvey butchard's book is another good source for the gc backcountry.

    photos ... yes, however, they are slides, and i have been SUPER lazy about scanning them


    Quote Originally Posted by bo beck
    That must've been an AMAZING trip! What? Like 50 miles total?
    yes it was pretty amazing. will get back to you on the length.

    Quote Originally Posted by bo beck
    The vantage from the top of the UPS Trail all the way down is great. By far the most scenic 1 mile hike to get to South Canyon
    i'll have to get down there sometime. thanks for posting.

  18. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    What? Like 50 miles total?
    yeah, maybe 50 miles (assuming 9 hiking-miles to 6 river-miles along the redwall). i am not sure, but it could be more. one could estimate the additional miles more accurately with the maps.

    water is very scarce along this route. we only found water in a couple of potholes in the redwall in a couple of the sidecanyons, which helped to augment our midway water cache.

  19. #38
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    Sounds like a great trip Stefan! It's so pretty down there I can wanting to stick around. Water would help though.

  20. #39
    so, bo, yeah. i have to admit the trip was pretty incredible. i think one (of many) way(s) it was incredible is that it is but one piece ... one glimpse of what it would be like to hike the entire length of the grand canyon. one approach which has been done, e.g., steck, is to place caches along the way to do the entire length of the canyon in one contiguous push. nat's following a course, doing a series of loop hikes over many years, ultimately seeing the whole canyon with sections of the river as pieces of loops. it's neat to have a glimpse of this wonderful goal

  21. #40
    Bogley BigShot
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just a few miles from Zion National Park
    Posts
    8,456
    I have our photo album done for South Canyon to Vasey's ...

    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index61.htm


    Couple from the album of Bo and I




Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] South Mule Canyon
    By apcronnelly in forum Rock Art & Ruins
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 04:45 PM
  2. [Trip Report] Grizzly Creek to South Canyon
    By IntrepidXJ in forum Boating, Rafting, Kayak and Canoe
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 06:41 AM
  3. Little Big Family Adventure In South Utah and Grand Canyon
    By KapitanSparrow in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 06:16 AM
  4. South Canyon Invite 11/8-11/12
    By mroy in forum Backpacking & Camping
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 05:31 AM
  5. [Trip Report] mineral canyon, south fork
    By erial in forum Hiking, Scrambling & Peak Bagging
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

grand canyon caves off limits

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •