Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Canyon - Grand Canyon

South Canyon - Grand Canyon

Tanya and I headed to GC on sunday with intentions of going to Vaseys Paradise and back in a day via a suggested shortcut. I sort of made some unintentional errors and we didn't get all the way to the river, but had fun exploring a canyon that feeds into South Canyon. Our plans were to take a non-traditional shortcut into South Canyon that put us a short distance from the Colorado River and Vaseys Paradise. We made it as far as South Canyon and Bedrock Canyon confluence before I made the decision to head back. We got a late start and the "route" is very little used so I had no intention of trying to backtrack at night. A couple photos and maybe Tanya will have a few to add? Bedrock Canyon is really cool though and I would suggest it as a wonderful dayhike, but not the best entrance for a backpacking trip to Vaseys Paradise.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

....but where are the pictures?

You guys always have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    ....but where are the pictures?

You guys always have fun.
    Dang! I loaded a couple pictures with the original post, but I wasn't happy with them, so I deleted them and was going to replace them with new ones and my CF card died!? Sorry Felicia, but I bet Tanya might have a few to post?

Bogley BigShot
    We just climbed down a hill then back up. I took one of the route, but nothing worth posting.

did you lose the one of the map?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    The map I had posted was very poor resolution. I'll try to re-do the map and post it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    Here is the somewhat messed up gps route, but the blue dots indicate waypoints of the route down into Bedrock. We then hiked down to the confluence with South Canyon and then returned the same way back out.

Wait a minute. . .WTH. Did someone say pixatures.

thanks bo.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    Looks like we are going to give this one another try this weekend.

Re: South Canyon - Grand Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    I sort of made some unintentional errors and we didn't get all the way to the river, but had fun exploring a canyon that feeds into South Canyon. Our plans were to take a non-traditional shortcut into South Canyon that put us a short distance from the Colorado River and Vaseys Paradise. We made it as far as South Canyon and Bedrock Canyon confluence before I made the decision to head back.

interesting shortcut. the lower canyon is a marvelous spot. when you return will you have time to explore the slot down there. it's upclimbable too, if you choose to explore from the bottom as far as you have time for.

looking forward to the photos. pretty area. can't remember if you guys have already been there or not.

Bogley BigShot
    Stefan! You have been there! Is there anything there for Courtney to play on? You know he likes to get to the top of things. He might go, but probably only if there is something to summit.

I don't know how much time we are going to have since we are probably doing it as a one day on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Stefan! You have been there! Is there anything there for Courtney to play on? You know he likes to get to the top of things. He might go, but probably only if there is something to summit.
    not sure if there is something that suits his fancy. finding routes through interesting, layered canyon walls?

I don't know how much time we are going to have since we are probably doing it as a one day on Saturday.
    well, as long as there is time for the springs ... the views of the canyons along the approach to bedrock canyon must be pretty cool

Proposed route down to Vaseys this weekend?

Bogley BigShot
    Last call on this! If you want to do it we leave at 4:30 am from the Tbird ... so get with us! Its a one day hike.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    we leave at 4:30 am from the Tbird
    Heck.... I didn't even know there was a 4:30 am.

Bogley BigShot
    Yeah... you probably drag yourself back to the house by 4am after your wild nights out. It's good to make it to bed before 4:30 am!

OH... you mean that's the same 4:30 am????

I've only visited it from the top side.

Bogley BigShot
    We actually got going about 4:45 and were on the trail by 7:30am. This short cut is the way to go! It was only 2 hours to get to the canyon floor, then another 2 hours to the river. The weather was great!!! 80 degrees at the river, then cool and shady for our hike out of the canyon. At the end of the day we could feel a storm starting to settle in.

Bogley BigShot