Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Canyoneering Camera

Best Canyoneering Camera

Looking to acquire a good waterproof camera for canyoneering. Any suggestions?

Hey Alex - are you still looking to sell that waterproof Olympus you once had?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like the pentax optio waterproof cameras myself. I'm no camera expert though.

i picked up the Olympus 770 SW last summer after seeing it do so well for the aharts in mexico. I like it alot. Very durable, waterproof. When you get out of a canyon you just rinse it under water and its clean. Picture quality is great and more than enough for my needs.
    Good luck.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Blog Entries
    woahh....thanks for the info. That just opened my eyes. hmm...do you have any pics that you can share to show the awesomeness of the camera?

The point-and-shoot cameras don't really go wide enough to shoot the marvel of slot canyons. You might think about a cheap digital SLR with an ultra-wide lens, like maybe the Sigma 10-20mm, in a waterproof housing.

Justin, I have Optio Pentax W10 camera, not Olympus. When I was buying it, Olympus only had 15fps video in their camera, while Pentax had 30fps, that was the biggest factor for me.

I like my little camera. You either go Dan's route and haul about 40 lbs of gear with you and take some awesome shots. Or you go the waterproof point and shoot route (Olympus or Pentax) and take semi ok shots with it. Your choice

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    You either go Dan's route and haul about 40 lbs of gear with you and take some awesome shots. Or you go the waterproof point and shoot route (Olympus or Pentax) and take semi ok shots with it. Your choice
    It's not 40 pounds...

Seriously though, there is no perfect canyoneering camera. I've looked long and hard. SLR's are generally too burdensome, and I just think the point and shoots stink. Those that are decent have no wide angle.

The most promising new camera I've seen is the Sigma DP-1. Rumor is, it may be on sale as soon as March. It is a 28mm lens, with a APS-C sized sensor in it. Fits in a pocket. Will be kinda pricy though, prolly 500 bones.

If wide angle doesn't matter, the olympus' are getting good reviews nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Is DP-1 waterproof?
    No, but I actually don't find that to be a big issue. Just keep it in a small waterproof case. The biggest issue with waterproof cameras is keeping the lens dry anyways. But that's just me.

Also, I doubt the DP-1 does video, so if you want that, you are outta luck as well. It is more of a rangefinder.

Suggestion: first decide what you want out of the camera.

Most canyoneers favor compact cameras for ease of shooting. Unfortunately, image quality ain't so good with these. If your first priority is capturing all the action w/o concern for picture quality, go for one of the compact waterproofs. If image quality is more important to you, get a camera + wp housing combo.

Here's a possible compromise between the compact waterproofs and using a housing:

http://tinyurl.com/2w29xe

Note to Shane: I haven't used this camera - just bringing attention to another WP model out there that isn't often discussed.

hank

Hank, have you actually used one of these?

I'd like to see some pics from a dark section of slot where the flash was used.

Fujifilm Big Job HD-3W, 6.0 Megapixel, 3x Optical Zoom Digital Camera
    Price: $524.00

Fujifilm is pleased to announce the launch of the FinePix Big Job HD-3W. It is a heavy-duty and highly practical digital camera designed to be used in the most challenging of environments. Having withstood a drop test to 70cm and featuring a rubber grip and big buttons, this waterproof, dust proof and shockproof camera can endure what other cameras only dream of. The FinePix Big Job HD-3W is perfect for the construction, engineering, health and safety and manufacturing industries, or any environment where it is likely to get knocked around. The FinePix Big Job HD-3W has a very tough exterior. It is waterproof and can withstand being submerged for up to 30 minutes in depths of up to 1 metre. In addition, the layout of the big, easy-to-use buttons allows the camera to be used whilst wearing gloves, will helps to ensure that the camera it will not be dropped at the most crucial moment. However, the FinePix Big Job is also shockproof, so in the unlikely event of an accidental drop, (up to 70cm) your camera and images will be protected. The new model combines a wide-angle 3x (28-84mm) optical zoom lens with a large, scratch resistant 3" LCD screen so images can be viewed on the back of the camera more clearly. The camera also features a 6 Megapixel CCD sensor and ISO sensitivity of up to 1600, so detailed; low noise images can be captured in low light levels, such as dark construction sites, without the need for flash. However, for times when flash is needed, the powerful built in strobe enables longer flash distance of up to 10 meters. In two world firsts for the FinePix range the Big Job HD-3W features 'Detection of Manipulation' and 'CALS' modes. The first highlights any tampering that has occurred to images after the photo has been taken. Using the FinePix viewer software on a computer, it is possible to check whether the image has been processed or edited to ensure the integrity of all images. The CALS mode takes photos at 1MP - an ideal size for attaching and distributing via email. These unique features, along with the Shot Date function, which records the time and date that the photo was taken, make monitoring and reporting the progress of work highly reliable and as simple as possible.

I have the Pentax Optio something or another. It is a fine canyon camera but for memories only. If you are seeking the poster "wow" factor shot, it ain't going to happen. I take it along when I am not with Dan. I shoot a couple of shots here and there just for the memory but know that in low light and tight spaces I don't have the lens or light settings to get a good shot. It works great for the before and after group shot, on the approach and exit route and for some in canyon shots of people. I've taken mine in many a canyon including Heaps twice and I simply stick down the neck of my wet suit and my massive pecs keep it from dropping further. Actually it has a pretty long strap that I dangle out the top of my wet suit that keeps it in place. The waterproofing has not failed me....yet.
    Life is Good

Here's a cam/case combo worth considering:

http://tinyurl.com/34wrcd

http://tinyurl.com/3d5oxe

I've used the Fuji F20 a lot (pix: http://tinyurl.com/ytncqw), but not the case - I'm getting one, though (just found it online spurred by this thread). The camera is the best compact p/s I've used...great low light pix w/o flash.

Flash note: the Fuji F20 has an interesting setting that takes two shots with one press of the shutter: one w/flash and one w/o.

hank

Bogley BigShot
    I have a big heavy camera! I am sure getting tired of toting it around! I would suggest something smaller like these guys are saying.

Thnx for the suggestions guys...I really appreciate it.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Hey can I bump this thread? Oh wait I just did! I had the Olympus Stylus 850 SW. I bought it just cause it was on sale at Costco. It was ok. The things I didn't like about it was that you had to take the battery out to recharge it everytime. Then when you plugged the battery in, it would insist you set the date and time, then it defaulted to some weird macro shot mode I never used and I had to go through a bunch of menus an adjust the settings... Every single time I charged it up. Low and behold it started failing at the battery entry point, but I could usually dry it off and get my pictures, looks like last trip through Birch in the rain completely killed it.

So just looking for some simple compact point and shoot that takes minimal effort to use. What's new in the last 4 years? What you guys using and what do you not recommend????
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I have been using the new Fujifilm xp20. While it isn't the best camera ever made, it is a 14.2 megapixel, waterproof, shockproof, dustproof and with lots of options. I bought it at walmart for $169 and you can get a 2 year replacement I think it was $18 or something. It has been through at least 20-30 canyons and for the price and the replacement value I am very happy with the choice.

19. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    I bought the Panasonic Lumix TS-3 last year after seing recommendations for it in a different thread and I really like it. I have dropped it countless times and it even sat in the bottom of a water filled pothole for about 3 hours before I was able to fish it out and it still works great. Above all it takes really good pics! There is a newer TS-4 version out, but a lot of the reviews have complained of water leaking into the camera and ruining it.

21. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I have been using the new Fujifilm xp20. While it isn't the best camera ever made, it is a 14.2 megapixel, waterproof, shockproof, dustproof and with lots of options. I bought it at walmart for $169 and you can get a 2 year replacement I think it was $18 or something. It has been through at least 20-30 canyons and for the price and the replacement value I am very happy with the choice.
    X2 in regards to Fuji. My buddy brought his Fujifilm XP50 though Misery last week and it put my Canon D10 to shame as far as photo quality (especially in low light). He got it at Costco for $180. I don't think you can get more bang for your buck.

Canon has come out with an updated version of the D10, the D20. It is certainly worth a look. I've had my D10 for 3 years and regularly beat the hell out of it. I've taken down to 20 feet while snorkeling, taken it snowboarding 10 times, backpacking 10 times and canyoneering at least 30 times. I highly doubt you can find a more durable camera.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

23. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    My favorite camera is in a dry bag (still dry?doubtful) somewhere in Kolob creek below where Boundary comes in. It's a DSLR and tho heavy and bulky it'll get the shot I want. Of course I carry a tripod too. If there's a great shot, I want the tools to GET it .