Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rappeling near St. George

Rappeling near St. George

I need some help in locating a couple of spots near St. George where I can take a couple of people and teach them how to rappel. I am thinking about heading over to Yankee Doodle after a few lessons. Does any one know of a couple of good rock walls right close to St. George where I can make this happen? Preferably nothing over 150 ft. Thanks for the help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    perfect location for ya - and less than 5 miles north of Bluff St.

There is a place called Cougar Cliffs. There is no sign or trailhead really - just a small gravel parking lot. To find it - just go north on Bluff St. Locate the Chuckawalla (rock climbing not rapelling) sign to your left. Pass that and drive for a while (less than 5min) and look to your left for a small gravel lot (you will have to cross the St. George paved trail way system to reach the parking lot). Park there, walk to the gate, and walk another 50 feet to the area and rappel of the different areas ranging from 50+ to nearly 200 feet. I don't got GPS coords, sorry. Also this place is bolted (many, many, many sites). But as always make sure their secure.

I'll upload some pics later today for ya.

Blog Entries
    So here the promised pics....also I found the site with Google Earth and included that file if it helps ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yowza! Canyon hotties.

pretty girls and rappelling...can this thread get any better?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    jman
    nice pictures,thanks for the new area.

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    perfect location for ya - and less than 5 miles north of Bluff St.

There is a place called Cougar Cliffs. There is no sign or trailhead really - just a small gravel parking lot. To find it - just go north on Bluff St. Locate the Chuckawalla (rock climbing not rapelling) sign to your left. Pass that and drive for a while (less than 5min) and look to your left for a small gravel lot (you will have to cross the St. George paved trail way system to reach the parking lot). Park there, walk to the gate, and walk another 50 feet to the area and rappel of the different areas ranging from 50+ to nearly 200 feet. I don't got GPS coords, sorry. Also this place is bolted (many, many, many sites). But as always make sure their secure.

I'll upload some pics later today for ya.
    yeah bro! That's the spot I learned to rapell also. It's really nice since there is a lower drop you can latch on the first few times so you dont have to go right over the cliff end on your first shot. I highly recommend this place, it's awesome for beginners.

Oh yeah, I posted some pics here. http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2114 It shows the drops and lower latch on areas. I think that is the worst scolding I've ever received on this board though. If you do this, don't post it :P

My cat would never go rappelling without his helmet.

Nice Thanks for the info Jman, I will check it out when I am down there next weekend for a bike race. We ended up finding a place just as you go up the canyon in silver reef. It worked out pretty good as they were all newbies. Only about a 50ft rappell, but a great on for starters. Thanks again.

that shot is hilarious, rich

Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    I think that is the worst scolding I've ever received on this board though.
    I still have to chuckle when I remember that heated issue. I know I shouldn't speed, you know you shouldn't speed, but if you do, you're a big boy and can do what you want.

I'm still glad you posted those photos, with or without the helmets.

"You should wear a helmet" - yeah, no shit. I shouldn't eat at McDonalds either, but if the Big Mac looked that cool in a photo, I'd still post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by deathcricket
    I think that is the worst scolding I've ever received on this board though.
    I still have to chuckle when I remember that heated issue. I know I shouldn't speed, you know you shouldn't speed, but if you do, you're a big boy and can do what you want.

I'm still glad you posted those photos, with or without the helmets.

"You should wear a helmet" - yeah, no shit. I shouldn't eat at McDonalds either, but if the Big Mac looked that cool in a photo, I'd still post it.
    I figure, if you want your brains all over the rocks go for it. There is no way in hell I would let anyone screw around like that on my ropes... But it does look like fun..

Blog Entries
    haha...that's a old thread and pic deathcricket. I think it's a cool move if you know what you are doing (as the cliche goes). Good memories. I would never try that though. I remember going ozzy (head first) rappeling and wow, that was pretty exciting the first time but that's about the extent of my stuntdevlish abilities, which isn't too impressive.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Those are some nice rope groves. Is it hard to walk around to the top and pull your rope? Or are people just lazy or don't care about their ropes

Bogley BigShot
    There are some places in Zion that are bad too. Those yellow gloves on the young girl are interesting. I like that helmet Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    There are some places in Zion that are bad too. Those yellow gloves on the young girl are interesting. I like that helmet Rich!

Yes, Spry rope groves. I have never done that canyon. It is my goal to go this year, hopefully in the spring. With the winter Zion has been having probably later then sooner. Understand Water Canyon has them too.

Bogley BigShot
    That's a shame that Water Canyon has them. I have hiked in there many times but never did the canyon. I would think that since that canyon is used most for instruction that would not be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    That's a shame that Water Canyon has them. I have hiked in there many times but never did the canyon. I would think that since that canyon is used most for instruction that would not be the case?
    Never seen it but read on a site about them and how to set your ropes carefully so rope doesn't get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Those are some nice rope groves. Is it hard to walk around to the top and pull your rope? Or are people just lazy or don't care about their ropes
    Most of the time I would agree people are just lazy. But in this spot you either have to pull the rope through a groove or drop it down 180ft and walk down to pick it up, which is what we did since my buddy said getting dirt impregnated into the rope is really really bad. If you look closely at pic #6 that jman put up, that's really the only safe place to hang out (besides the lower section which has TONS of room), and there is only room for maybe 3 people (there is top down view on me standing on it in my pics). The edge section in Jman's pic #7 isn't really safe to stand on unless your holding on to a rope IMO. Plus its sandstone which is super soft and hundreds of people go there every month.

On a lighter note, the grooves do hold your rope nice and steady to prevent shearing action.