Thread: kids-biking-cancer-ideas?

kids-biking-cancer-ideas?

Hey everyone!

Since this site is such a wealth of creativity and resources I thought I would post about our 6th grade bike tour to raise money for cancer and see if anyone has any resource, ideas or any other help you can think of.

Our two 6th grade classes (48 students) are doing a three day bike tour to raise awareness and money for cancer research. In May they will be riding 10 miles along the Jordan River Parkway the first day, to camp at Utah Lake, the second day they will ride up the Provo River Trail about 15 miles to another campground, then the third day they will "Conquer the Climb" by climbing the 4 mile hill up to the girl scout camp in Provo Canyon. This hill climb is designed to be tough, to help them feel empathy for cancer patients in their struggle and pain to fight the disease, it will be a metaphor for never giving up and battling the disease.

The kids will be taking cycling classes, through the Bicycle Collective, they will have a training schedule, they will be doing all the fund raising themselves, they will plan the event from top to bottom.

Here's an odd item we need: I have a student with spina bifida. He can ride a bike, but not far and tires easily. I'd like to find a bicycle "leash", the kind that you see used in adventure races, anyone know where I might be able to find one? This way we can assist this student when he gets tired and he will still be able to participate.

Anyway - just throwing this out there to see what comes out. You can IM me if you need to is you want to contact me directly, I'll email you back.

Thanks!!
    Karen
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Tree! long time no see.
    Here's a link to the very idea you're looking for. Really, you can make one that will work without spending alot of money and this site will give you what you need.

http://www.nyara.org/tips/mn_racing_towing.php

Hey! :-)

Thanks! That is perfect. Hopefully, it'll work, and hopefully he can ride more than be towed or I'll be one tired teacher! :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Hopefully, it'll work, and hopefully he can ride more than be towed or I'll be one tired teacher! :-)
    That is awesome! Good luck.
    Life is Good