Thread: Buying a New Camera

Buying a New Camera

I've talked the boss into letting me upgrade to a dslr and have settled on a Canon 40D. My next challenge is to find the best place to purchase it online. Where do you go online ot get your gear? What types of sites should I be wary of?

I've noticed a huge difference in prices from site to site. Even for similar packages/kits.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

B&H is pretty much about the most respected place to buy. I have also used Beach Camera/ Buydig and had very good luck. Shipping is included from Beach/Buydig.

If you see the really cheap pricing on line, BEWARE!! go to www.resellerratings.com to check the companies Feedback.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    B&H
    I guess we are just cut out of different molds, you say B&H and I say adorama. You say canon, I say nikon..... Just having some fun there Dan, but I do almost exclusive do my camera shopping at Adorama.

Quote Originally Posted by waltny
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    B&H
    I guess we are just cut out of different molds, you say B&H and I say adorama. You say canon, I say nikon..... Just having some fun there Dan, but I do almost exclusive do my camera shopping at Adorama.
    LOL. To be fair, I'd put Adorama just below B&H. But I'm no Nikon hater, I just own Canon.

I higly recommend Pictureline, in Salt Lake City:

http://www.pictureline.com/

Ciao!!

Marco

B&H, Cameta, e-Bay's auction stuff...you get pretty sweet deals in there

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    B&H, Cameta, e-Bay's auction stuff...you get pretty sweet deals in there
    On ebay you have to beware of grey market stuff

Just to chuck my two cents in, if you're not adverse to buying used gear you can save a few hundred dealing with some of the good people on Fred Miranda: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10 or a smaller group at Digital Grin: http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.ph...aysprune=&f=18

I myself have to admit to usually ordering from B&H also; they have a great reputation and pretty decent prices. They too sell used gear, and buy it as well. Nothing against Adorama; I think they are for the most part similar (if not nearly identical) to B&H.
    Scott Mikkelsen

Here's a tale of caution:

Before I made the original post I was searching the internet and found the 40D at several sites for way, way cheap (at least $500 less than Beach, B&H, etc.). So I placed an online order. The next day I got an email asking me to contact them to confirm my order. Immediately the butthole salesmen (they were incredibly rude and aggressive) were on me about needing to buy a battery and a charger (which didn't come with the camera.) I asked them what they cost: Battery $180 and Charger $280. WTF??????

I canceled the order. I checked some other similarly cheap sites and they all ran the same scam. When I said that I didn't need the battery but would use an old one from a different camera they suddenly said that the camera was unavailable.

Another lesson in the area of "you get what you pay for".
    The gostak distims the doshes.