Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farmington Bay Eagles

Farmington Bay Eagles

I didn't do a very good job following up on the plans for the shootout at Farmington Bay, so only a couple of us made it. Waltny, Hallkc, and myself made an appearance.

The eagles were everywhere. I counted close to 85 from where we were on the dike road. About 15 or 20 were feeding right in front of us. Couldn't have asked for a better day, nice and warm and clear skies for some good light.

If anyone is interested, the next five days will be the best of the year, so if you want to see eagles, go now. If there is another good weather day, I'll drive up again as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

INCREDABLE
    See you on the Trail

Outstanding shots

Very Impressive. How about some details on your gear and technique?

Do you give lessons?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

I'm glad to see that you got some amazing shots out there... especially the second to last one... the look on that eagles face... wow:)

I got some too... anyone interested should really make a trip out there.

9. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Another one... This one is almost straight out of the camera, only cropped and slight adjustment of levels in photoshop.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Sweet stuff hallkc! Looks like that 300 did it's job, eh?

I put up a gallery of a few more images I made, if anyone is interested.

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=145

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha

Do you give lessons?
    Thanks Brew. I was using my 40D, with a 600 f4 lens, and a 1.4x extender for most of these. Mounted on a gymbal head to balance the lens, and a heavy tripod.

Hallkc and Waltny had a 300 2.8 with 2x I believe, also tripod mounted.

Lessons? Not really, but I've been out shooting with a handful of people from on here. Just holler if you'd like some company.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha

Do you give lessons?
    Thanks Brew. I was using my 40D, with a 600 f4 lens, and a 1.4x extender for most of these. Mounted on a gymbal head to balance the lens, and a heavy tripod.

Hallkc and Waltny had a 300 2.8 with 2x I believe, also tripod mounted.

Lessons? Not really, but I've been out shooting with a handful of people from on here. Just holler if you'd like some company.
    Yes we did. The problem we had was manual focusing while spinning around the head and trying to fire off shots. I got a couple good ones, but in light of what has been posted mine are nothing special, but for only 80 some shots 15ish keepers arent too bad...

I got to say that those are some damn good shots Dan. The detail is impressive, glass and focal length are a big factor out there.

Quote Originally Posted by waltny
    ...problem we had was manual focusing while spinning around the head and trying to fire off shots... but for only 80 some shots 15ish keepers arent too bad...

I got to say that those are some damn good shots Dan. The detail is impressive, glass and focal length are a big factor out there.
    You guys were manually focusing? That does tend to make it pretty hard. You're right about the gear though. Wildlife photography puts about as high of demands on your gear as anything.

...problem we had was manual focusing while spinning around the head and trying to fire off shots... but for only 80 some shots 15ish keepers arent too bad...

You guys were manually focusing? That does tend to make it pretty hard. You're right about the gear though. Wildlife photography puts about as high of demands on your gear as anything.
    Unforunately, yes we were manual focusing. 1 hand to work the head, 1 to focus and then got to make a quick jump with one to get to the trigger if you managed to get a decent lock on the subject, or try to focus and track with one hand and one on the trigger and vice versa if you left the head loose. The 2X converter Keith has didnt work with either lens we had .

Amazing freakin' pictures! Wow.

That's it, I've gotta start adding to the image bar again after seeing these photos.

Very Very well done. WOW.........
    Life is Good

Good link Dan

Unforunately, yes we were manual focusing. 1 hand to work the head, 1 to focus and then got to make a quick jump with one to get to the trigger if you managed to get a decent lock on the subject, or try to focus and track with one hand and one on the trigger and vice versa if you left the head loose. The 2X converter Keith has didnt work with either lens we had .
    Walt,
    I don't know why you had to manual focus with the 300mm... I didn't. The tele-converter worked like a charm for me... I know it doesn't work very well with the 70-200 though. The only setback I had was getting it to auto-focus on the birds and not the mountains in the background... maybe you had your camera set to manual focus mode.

Quote Originally Posted by hallkc

Walt,
    I don't know why you had to manual focus with the 300mm... I didn't. The tele-converter worked like a charm for me... I know it doesn't work very well with the 70-200 though. The only setback I had was getting it to auto-focus on the birds and not the mountains in the background... maybe you had your camera set to manual focus mode.
    I did set it to manual focus. I mainly use AF-C mode as the AF-S makes me mad when it refuses to focus on something. It was doing the in out thing on me so it was just easier to do it manual.

Re: Farmington Bay Eagles

I didn't do a very good job following up on the plans for the shootout at Farmington Bay, so only a couple of us made it. Waltny, Hallkc, and myself made an appearance.

The eagles were everywhere. I counted close to 85 from where we were on the dike road. About 15 or 20 were feeding right in front of us. Couldn't have asked for a better day, nice and warm and clear skies for some good light.
    WOW Dan! What magnificent birds. Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures. You're lucky to live so close to such a spectacular happening! And the rest of those (not lucky enough to be able to witness that in person) are lucky to have you taking such great shots!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

WOW!!!! Amazing photos, once again. How long where you out there for?

I made it out for an hour or so on Friday, the conditions (overcast and bland) sucked...

I snapped these with my new 100 - 400 IS L, all hand held. I think the next step is a tele-converter and spending more time behind my tripod. Bummed I missed Sat!

[/img]