Thread: Water - So far, So good...

Water - So far, So good...

Looking good so far..... might have some major amounts of water in the canyons this year. Looking like Zion Narrows permits could be a problem depending on what happens next. San Rafael and Muddy will probably flow all year. So far Escalante is the only drainage sucking a chub.

Utah snowpack: Levels exceed historical averages statewide
    By Brandon Loomis
    The Salt Lake Tribune

If you think it looks white out there this winter, just think of the green that will follow.

Utah's glorious snow year is also shaping into that most elusive of 21st century seasons: a lush spring. Snowpack is better than historical averages right across the state, in some places way better. And ranchers hurt by drought and monstrous range fires last year are smiling about a possible reprieve.

Alta ski area tied a January record with 178.5 inches, and that snowfall's water content of 15.43 inches broke the 1996 record, the National Weather Service announced.

It doesn't end there in the mountain canyons. Snowpack ranges from 170 percent of a normal winter in southern Utah to 100 percent at the Idaho border, National Weather Service hydrologist Brian McInerney said. Friday morning found him skiing in Park City.

"It's killer," he reported by cell phone. The Wasatch Mountains are ranging from 120 percent to 140 percent of normal snowfall.

"It's the first year in a long time we've had snow cover from one end of the state to the other, north to south," Utah Farm Bureau Federation executive Randy Parker said Friday by cell phone as he drove through snow in Cedar City. He was heading home from a St. George rangeland conference where everyone was thrilled with the outlook.

The wet winter bodes well for re-seeded grasslands where last summer's fires forced ranchers to pare their herds, he said. Sales at the Salina livestock auction, for instance, were up 40 percent last year because ranchers lacked forage and hay.

"Some of the [regional] snowpacks and moistures in southern Utah are at April levels, which is really exciting," Parker said.

If the weather holds - that is, if spring doesn't heat up too quickly and the snowmelt comes down in an orderly fashion - it should fill reservoirs that were mostly depleted at the end of summer, Parker said. And because Utah's agriculture industry is 80 percent livestock, soil moisture and thick grass on the range is crucial.

U.S. Bureau of Land Management spokeswoman Lola Bird said the soil moisture outlook is good so far, but thick grass isn't assured just yet.

"It's important that we also get moisture during the growth period in April, May and June," she said.

Northern Utah's winter so far is typical of a La Ni
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm tired of shoveling. I have stopped praying for snow and have started praying for a snowblower.

The closest snotel station to Monticello is reporting over 16 inches of water in 60 inches of snow - about 195% of normal. Yee haw.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    I'm tired of shoveling. I have stopped praying for snow and have started praying for a snowblower.
    Amen Brother!
    Life is Good

My dog has to tunnel through the snow in my backyard after the last storm we got here, and guess what, it snowed again today and is supposed to dump tommorrow. I usually like snow, but this is a little much! The river is going to be great this year, just look at all the blue!

My backyard this morning.....

Bogley BigShot
    My yard as seen from the front door.. we had to push the snow away to open the door! You can see the trampoline is about to be covered!

Dang... that's a lot of snow for Mt. Carmel.

It was nice for a few hours today so I could at least get the walk snoveled. Here are a few more pictures.... and.... it just started snowing again.....

Bogley BigShot
    It's getting deeper here! Notice the snow is almost to the rim of the trampoline. 5:30 pm and its still coming down HARD! This is not a good time to head to Zion. The snow is so deep the boys are jumping off the tramp and belly flooping into the snow!

Bogley BigShot
    more. Notice the legs on the gym bar too... its much deeper than just 2 hours ago. This is so weird for here!

Holy $hit is all I have to say about Durango right now. 2 feet from the last storm, 2ish feet in the last couple days, and it is still DDUUMMPPIINNG!! The fence in my back yard was about 3ft. tall and I can't find it.
    I know, this thread is worthless w/o pics, but all in time.
    By the way, my friend took his kayak off the roof after the cable went out during the super bowl.....coming to you tube.

Escalante is up to 90%. Virgin River is now at 171% What a difference a storm makes. http://www.ksl.com/?sid=134181&nid=149
    Life is Good

After 2 days....

Darn your pretty chart and graphs. That is what I said.... Any guess what this will do to the length of time for the runoff in the Narrows? Yes I know it depends on so many factors but this much snow down there may delay things into late May? June? It depends on rain and how fast it warms up for sure. Anyone done a flowing Heaps?
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Darn your pretty chart and graphs. That is what I said....
    Where do you think I stole the idea from.

Honestly I have no clue what this will do. I'm guessing it will close the Narrows for almost 2 month's... but then again... it could all come down in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Darn your pretty chart and graphs. That is what I said.... Any guess what this will do to the length of time for the runoff in the Narrows? Yes I know it depends on so many factors but this much snow down there may delay things into late May? June? It depends on rain and how fast it warms up for sure. Anyone done a flowing Heaps?
    Look on the bright side! The Narrows have to be flowing above 150cfs to get boating permits! It might be a really good year to "Float the Narrows"!

With the temps being predicted to be near 60 this week is there a worry of most of the snow melting now and then not having any for spring. Are the main snow spots high enough to now worry about?
    The man thong is wrong.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    With the temps being predicted to be near 60 this week is there a worry of most of the snow melting now and then not having any for spring. Are the main snow spots high enough to now worry about?
    The Virgin River drainage is at altitude. It may be warm in St. George but it will not 60 on top of Cedar Mountain (9000+ to 11000 ft), not even close, it will still be freezing temps that high. Though too much snow and the locals will hope for a warm March/April so there will not be flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    The Virgin River drainage is at altitude. It may be warm in St. George but it will not 60 on top of Cedar Mountain (9000+ to 11000 ft), not even close, it will still be freezing temps that high. Though too much snow and the locals will hope for a warm March/April so there will not be flooding.
    That is what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
    The man thong is wrong.