Thread: US state weighing gun lessons for schoolchildren

US state weighing gun lessons for schoolchildren

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

US state weighing gun lessons for schoolchildren

Feb 1 09:11 AM US/Eastern
    20 Comments

View larger image

West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses, a state lawmaker said Thursday.
    "We will teach a hunting safety course during their physical education class," state senator and bill sponsor Billy Wayne Bailey told AFP. The courses would be imparted in secondary schools, from the eighth to 10th grade (13-16 years of age).

"They will learn gun safety, the proper use of fire arms. All the weapons will be disabled so there is no chance of discharging," he said, adding that the state Senate was expected to take up the bill next week.

"Hunting is an economic and cultural thing and we have seen a decline of hunting licenses over the past years," said the lawmaker, explaining that his bill would boost interest in hunting in West Virginia.

Children 10 years and older can already apply for a hunting license in West Virginia, which makes 1.5 billion dollars a year from hunting-related activities, the senator said.

Copyright AFP 2007, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: US state weighing gun lessons for schoolchildren

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun
    You'll hear critics of this program, but think of this:

You want to stop accidental shootings at home, this will take you down that path.

Think you're gonna get rid of guns? Dream on. Get over it. It won't happen. Learn to deal with the situation.

Re: US state weighing gun lessons for schoolchildren

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun
    You'll hear critics of this program, but think of this:

You want to stop accidental shootings at home, this will take you down that path.

Think you're gonna get rid of guns? Dream on. Get over it. It won't happen. Learn to deal with the situation.
    I agree. Getting hunter's safety at school would be pretty cool.
    General firearm training I plan on doing myself with my kids though.

I'd love to see hunters safety or gun safety offered through the schools. Anyone who has taken the hunters safety course realizes the gun safety learned through that program is outstanding. I'm sure that providing gun safety through the schools would eliminte several deaths each year. And the saving of a couple of lives would make certainly make the program worth while. Hell.... if gang bangers are going to carry guns (which they already do) I'd at least prefer they know how to handle them safely.

FWIW: Here are a few stats of the lives saved and accidents avoided because of hunters safety.

Utah's hunter education program began 50-years ago. During 1957 the state experienced 126 hunting-related accidents. Of those accidents, 22 were fatal. This sort of accident rate was unacceptable. The Utah hunter education program began as a voluntary program, and in 1960 the program became mandatory. Any resident under the age of 21 wanting to purchase a hunting license was required to complete this course. That law stayed in effect until 1987 when the law changed to require anyone, non-resident or resident, born after December 31, 1965 to complete a hunter education course before purchasing a hunting license. By the look of things, the program has worked. Since 1996 Utah has averaged less than seven hunting accidents per year. During that time Utah has had only two hunting firearm-related fatalities. Hunting is safe and getting safer every day.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Will it cut down on deaths, Yes.
    But will it accomplish the goal that is stated for the creation.
    West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses
    It might increase people wanting to go hunting, but I don't think it will make a profit for the state. Thats just MHO though.

edit:Perhaps it should be considered for the gun safety portion more than the hunting advertising.