Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Igloo Makers

Igloo Makers

Anyone ever played with an igloo maker? What is a good one?

http://www.grandshelters.com/

But at 169, maybe I am just cheap (or broke) a bit on the pricey side.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That looks pretty slick. I just watched the video and it appears that it sure beat the heck out of digging a snow cave. Dang, now I'm interested. Are there other igloo makers out there besides 5 gallon buckets and these things?
    Life is Good

The only igloos I've done were by cutting blocks by hand with a snow saw. Wonder if this thing works as well as advertised...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Are there other igloo makers out there besides 5 gallon buckets and these things?
    Flexible Flyer Snow Block Maker

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Flyer...1908195&sr=8-1

Nowhere near as cool as the icebox...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I finally got time to build my igloo. With two shovelers, it took about three hours to make a 9' igloo. The snow was wet and heavy, using powdery snow may have an effect on time.

It wasn't as complicated as I have read, Cant wait to hike in a bit and make one.

- Edward Abbey

This was fun helping Mtnman1830 make the igloo, here are a couple more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

That is pretty slick! If I am reading your post correctly, the heavy wet snow made it take longer? Interesting. I imagine that the second one will go up faster also. Being the gear junkie that I am I gotta get me one of these things. Does it look like it could be strapped to a pack easily? I know they advertize this. Anyone sleep in it? Thanks for posting.
    Life is Good

That is sweet!!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

awesome! I've always just dug into a big bank or tunneled down under a picnic table...this is cool!
    ...last one I did was with some explorer scouts & we crosscountry skied into a campsite and dug down to a picnic table.

Not nearly as pretty or as easy, but it slept 3 of us nice and warm for the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wow, what a blast from the past

Made an 11 footer up in the OV today

- Edward Abbey

Made another igloo this weekend. A seven footer. I ended up building the base up high enough that when I cut the door, the top of the doorway was lower than the floor...

Anyway, Me and my boy slept in the igloo. It was 'very' warm.

- Edward Abbey

- Edward Abbey

Built an igloo in the wasatch this weekend around 9,000ft with the icebox igloo maker. It was our 3rd. We're getting better at it, but it still took us 6hrs like the last one. This one ended up shaped a little better and we tried to use the denser consolidated snow instead of low-density powder like last time, so hopefully it wont sag as much. They're a lot of work to build, takes the afternoon, but pretty nice once you get inside. We had a candle burning all night. Outside it was around 20F and quite windy, inside it was in the mid 30s and very quiet. Sounds like it would be easier with even denser snow.