Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: n00bfest June 6-8th 2008 in Zion National Park

Quote Originally Posted by SLCmntjunkie
    Quote Originally Posted by abirken
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    24 newbies to Heaps! LOL
    Should I be skeered?
    That was a joke if don't know, newbies and heeps have no business in the same sentance.
    Not true.... if the sentence has S&R in it, then those two words go well together

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by SLCmntjunkie
    24 newbies to Heaps! LOL
    Should I be skeered?
    That was a joke if don't know, newbies and heeps have no business in the same sentance.
    Something told me my gut was right.........somehow these PEOPLE on HERE always get my GOAT. Either that or I'm gullable as shit. After reading about Heaps in my book, I was thinking " Ok, I CAN DO THIS" as long as I knew there was a bottle of Jaegarmeister waiting for me at the end.

So we gotta get our own permits or wtf. Is Bo getting them or are we doing a canyon where you don't need them? Page 16 coming up. . .

as long as I knew there was a bottle of Jaegarmeister waiting for me at the end.
    A kindred spirit!

Rest assured this will be the case

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    So we gotta get our own permits or wtf. Is Bo getting them or are we doing a canyon where you don't need them? Page 16 coming up. . .
    I think we need to firm up the number of people coming and then decide on which canyons and when. So far i've heard Birch, Misery, Yankee, and Red Hollow. Lets say we end up with 24 people, we could split into two groups swapping canyons on the two days. One group of twelve does Birch while the other does Misery or whatever then the groups swap for the next day.

If we end up with groups larger than 6 we're going to mostly be forced out of permit canyons. What about several groups of six? There are going to be a few who have never been here before who are going to want to hit Das Boot, Pine, and Keyhole. While others will want something a bit more meatier. A possible suggestion;
    -One group of 6-12 hits Keyhole and Pine on Saturday and a non permit canyon on Sunday, like Birch or Misery.
    -Another group of 6 hits Das Boot, swaps and does something else on Sunday, maybe Rock Canyon.
    -Another group of six hits Boundary or something of heartier fare one day, something else on Sunday.

I think the groups would naturally get mixed on the two days with this many people coming. There will also be plently of socializing in the evenings.

We could also set it up like Tom has in the past with his fests. Each leader posts which canyons he plans on doing, arranges permits, then others 'sign up' for that leader on that day. This way we may be able to satisfy all of the diferent needs of 24 people.

My two cents. I'm just looking to spend some time with good friends again.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

i just checked and there are plenty of on line permits available for canyons on the 7th and 8th. Looks like somebody snagged a bunch for Pine on the 8th but there is still a ton left for Saturday. Spry, Behunin, Telephone, Englestead, and Das Boot all have 6 or more permits available on line for the 7th and 8th.

All of those above I feel are fine for noobs who have at least done a few canyons before, all pretty straightforward, except for maybe the 300 footer on Englestead. I also like Rock quite a bit. Just thinking out loud here but we could send a dozen down Misery and a dozen down Rock and all meet at French for the easy Misery hike out and avoid that slog out the other way.

Could do the same thing with Englestead and Birch. Send six down Englstead and a dozen or so down Birch and meet in Orderville for th hike out the bottom.

Has anybody looked into a group campsite? some sort of gathering place?
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Can I bring my little dog through Heaps?
    Do you know CPR?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Do you know CPR?

No... I thought the man along is suppose to do that part. That one guy did it for that one girl.

24 newbies to Heaps! LOL
    My first trip through Heaps was with a youngster that had done Mystery with me a few weeks earlier, and his boss that I took out and taught to rappel the day before the trip!

My 3rd trip through was with a former employee and 4 other friends. Curt stood 5'10" and weighed in at 320#

Whats to say that 27 of us couldn't get through that skinny canyon and enjoy pizza and (root) beer afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    This is going to be a freakin PARTAYYYYY
    I'm bringing the booze........ Sounds like I may need a stiff drink after doing Heaps?
    What the heck...Bring the booze and after a while we can just pretend that we did Heaps!

Do you know CPR?

No... I thought the man along is suppose to do that part. That one guy did it for that one girl.
    He was severely hypothermic!

Bogley BigShot
    24 newbies to Heaps! LOL
    My first trip through Heaps was with a youngster that had done Mystery with me a few weeks earlier, and his boss that I took out and taught to rappel the day before the trip!

My 3rd trip through was with a former employee and 4 other friends. Curt stood 5'10" and weighed in at 320#

Whats to say that 27 of us couldn't get through that skinny canyon and enjoy pizza and (root) beer afterwards?

Link to the story of Bo's first trip through Heaps. For those that don't know we call Bo the Heaps Master, having done it more times and faster than anyone.

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/375...ps-canyon.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    This is going to be a freakin PARTAYYYYY
    I'm bringing the booze........ Sounds like I may need a stiff drink after doing Heaps?
    What the heck...Bring the booze and after a while we can just pretend that we did Heaps!
    DEAL!!!

24 newbies to Heaps! LOL

Link to the story of Bo's first trip through Heaps. For those that don't know we call Bo the Heaps Master, having done it more times and faster than anyone.

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/375...ps-canyon.html
    Amazing what Booze can do! My stories keep getting better...No actually, I do love Heaps Canyon, but it's been a few years and Tanya and I plan on doing a "Photo Trip" through Heaps this year. I really hope it works out so that we can see the best collection of photos ever done in this remote canyon!

For those that don't know we call Bo the Heaps Master, having done it more times and faster than anyone.
    Hmmm...

What's his fastest time through?

Seem to recall a number of folk had done it sub 9 hours...

-Brian in SLC

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    i just checked and there are plenty of on line permits available for canyons on the 7th and 8th. Looks like somebody snagged a bunch for Pine on the 8th but there is still a ton left for Saturday. Spry, Behunin, Telephone, Englestead, and Das Boot all have 6 or more permits available on line for the 7th and 8th.

All of those above I feel are fine for noobs who have at least done a few canyons before, all pretty straightforward, except for maybe the 300 footer on Englestead. I also like Rock quite a bit. Just thinking out loud here but we could send a dozen down Misery and a dozen down Rock and all meet at French for the easy Misery hike out and avoid that slog out the other way.

Could do the same thing with Englestead and Birch. Send six down Englstead and a dozen or so down Birch and meet in Orderville for th hike out the bottom.

Has anybody looked into a group campsite? some sort of gathering place?
    I have wanted to do Rock for a long time. I'd do it this trip or set up a trip some other time too. No permit either.

Tanya I was also thinking if we needed another canyon we could do Water Canyon. I know it is easy, but no permits and this is noobfest so easy is ok.

OK, so we've got the date and area nailed down. This thread is getting really long (16+ pages), so how about I create another thread with just the details?

The moderators can edit the participant list as it updates, as well as the canyons.

Here is the Noobfest Summary Thread:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105867