Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Luther King Day celebrants can't Spell

Martin Luther King Day celebrants can't Spell

Is this what Martin Luther King died for?
    I have a what?????

News report shows Martin Luther King Day celebrants holding misspelled signs

Link: http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/mlkday.asp

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Now you know why Bill Cosby is beside himself!
    "All roads, all codes!"

But they can sure vote, although many in FL showed in 2000 they had a little trouble with certain voting methods.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

And this is surprising

I just can't seem to figure out what "ADRAEM" is....... can anybody help me out here?
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70
    can anybody help me out here?
    Ebonics Yo E Bon Ikts wuked 4 me Sort of like Hooked On Phonics with a twist

Heheheh! Yeah.... that or South Central English!
    "All roads, all codes!"

Maybe one of you can clarify a few things for me? Who are "they"? Illiterates? Black people? I love it when racism is veiled with an ambiguous "they". So go back and edit your post and remove "they" and put in what you really mean. Then try for a moment to understand why stereotypes and "funny" racism pisses people off.

Quote Originally Posted by cmpbiker
    Maybe one of you can clarify a few things for me? Who are "they"? Illiterates? Black people? I love it when racism is veiled with an ambiguous "they". So go back and edit your post and remove "they" and put in what you really mean. Then try for a moment to understand why stereotypes and "funny" racism pisses people off.
    C'mon man, this is bogley. Ignorance, sex, and booze is our focus. Remember, we are trying to get a bunch of new members on the board, and new folks love this type of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    C'mon man, this is bogley. Ignorance, sex, and booze is our focus. Remember, we are trying to get a bunch of new members on the board, and new folks love this type of stuff.
    *Redneck voice* Now I dont care who you are, that's funny right there!

Seriously though, that pic would be hella funny even if they were white heterosexual males age 34. That's the only class it's "OK" to make fun of right??

Who are they? They, would be the ones in that shot.
    Illiterates? It sure appears that way.
    Black people? In this case, due to the pic, yes.
    "...go back and edit your post..." No need for it.

It has nothing to do with being a racist, although it helps feed one of their cockeyed points . Ignorant people come in all colors, they just happen to be black in the pic. Which does feed a certain stereotype like it or not. It would be just as funny with a pair of white trash recipients; complete with mullets, Kool-Aid, trailers, macaroni and cheese.
    Ebonics; know the history of it? I'll give you a clue, it wasn't the racist whites that came up with it. It was ignorance that developed it, the lack thereof to correct it, the bleeding hearted teachers fed into it and some of them were white. Even the ACLU protects racists, Neo-Nazi's and rednecks.
    Now try and understand why jokes are jokes, they're based off of something. What one finds funny another may be offended. To each their own.

Why is the words "they" and "them" always racist?

...except for them rednecks.

I want to be straight to the point- If you intentionally direct derogatory statements based on the ethnicity of another person, you are a racist. Don't tell me to lighten up, its just a joke, it doesn't mean anything. I have zero tolerance for racism. We all bleed red, we all love our families and we all die, nobody is better or worse because of their genes.

The only reason that this picture has been floating around on the internet is because of people who laugh it off. Do not play a fool and think that the topic is illiteracy. If you need an explanation why the "humor" is offensive I pity you.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Remember, we are trying to get a bunch of new members on the board
    And THEY are still upset about the name change, even though we haven't seen those Nebraska Canyoneering pictures yet.

I want to be straight to the point- If you intentionally direct derogatory statements based on the ethnicity of another person, you are a racist.
    Uh...I think the derogatory statements are based on the misspelling of the word "dream." If you spell your support/protest/whatever sign incorrectly and prance around in public with it, I'm gonna make fun of you, period.

The only reason that this picture has been floating around on the internet is because of people who laugh it off. Do not play a fool and think that the topic is illiteracy.
    Do you really think that if the signs were spelled correctly, that the picture would be floating around the 'net? Or on the other hand, do you really think the picture wouldn't be floating around the 'net if the people holding the signs were white? I think you are entirely missing the point.

Don't tell me to lighten up
    Lighten up, dude.

The reason this picture is floating around the net is because it's damn funny.

Sorry.... We are not all created equal, some of us are born stupid.... and ya can't fix stupid.

Life's not fair..... get used to it.

Maybe one of you can clarify a few things for me? Who are "they"? Illiterates? Black people?
    Funny thing cmpbiker..... but yours is the only racist post in this thread. Anyone who views this thread and automatically assumes/associates "they" with "black" is a racist....

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    looks damm funny to me

if your putting yourself on public display it may be best to have your sh8t together

so--lighten up--

And we have a "president" who cannot pronounce "nuclear."

As a writer/editor, I am constantly disappointed by the literacy recession in this country. Pathetic.

Unless of course we could all talk like Tarzan, Tonto, and Frankenstein. "Me have dream. Yarrrrrrrgh!!!!"
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Wow. Talk about your bogley-goggles. If you can't read this thread, and realize that there are some remarks that are inappropriate, or at least easily misinterpreted, than you need to read a few more books. Your comprehension levels should increase with time.

But then again, a significant percentage of the posts border on the inappropriate, in my opinion. So consider it a gentle suggestion from me, that if you really want more people to sign up, perhaps we should create an environment that caters to the largest common denominator. Chances are, if cmpbiker and myself are offended by the thread, more than a few other people are too.

And as a side note, it is not the actual image that is offensive. It is the clear racial undertones of the comments following the original post that are offensive. Can someone explain how this isn't perceived as offensive?

"Martin Luther King died for this?"

"Now you know why Bill Cosby is beside himself!"

"But they can sure vote, although many in FL showed in 2000 they had a little trouble with certain voting methods."

"Ebonics Yo E Bon Ikts wuked 4 me lol8 Sort of like Hooked On Phonics with a twist"

"that or South Central English! "