Thread: Nice car camping sites

Nice car camping sites

OK - So my wife and I were talking about planning some camping trips here in the spring and summer before our baby arrives in August. We have 2 young kids, so car camping is about all we'd care to venture for the time being. Restrooms, drinking water, etc. would be a must.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any preferred drive-in campsites that they'd be willing to let us in on. I see quite a number of them along the Mirror Lake Hwy., which appear to be in nice, forested locations. What about any of the campsites along the Nebo Loop? Anyone have a favorite in either of these areas? I've been trying to find photos of the respective campsites, but am not finding much.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!
    "All roads, all codes!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

check this thread out it has some good stuff. And you get to see James topless!
    http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8021

We always camp at either the Shadydell or Cobblerest campgrounds up the mirror lake highway. They are a little less "crowded" and its not that far of a drive to some great lakes for kid fishing. They have running water and bathrooms.
    Last time we were there Cobblerest didn't have the running water. A pipe broke and I heard they may not fix it. It wasn't too big of a deal to just run down to Shadydell and fill up a couple 5 gal jugs.
    Sites are nice with firepits and tables and most of them have some trees to separate you from neighbors. We try to get a spot on the Eastish side of the campground so you can walk over and play by the river. If you do go you have to visit "fairyland" with the kids.
    The man thong is wrong.

The problem with the Mirror Lake Highway or Nebo loop is that the camping there is only good about mid June or latter. Both are pretty high altitude. So I

I would agree with James 100% on this one. One thing about camping near Goblin valley at that time of year is the no-see-ums. We were there last year for spring break and got attacked by them anytime we were out when the sun wasn't up. Early morning and late afternoon were miserable bring the DEET.
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the advice you've passed along. We hit Green River State Park this past April, but it was still a bit too chilly for the wife & kids. Into the low 30's at night, and they all came down w/ colds. Daytime temps were great, though! Even got down into the San Rafael Swell near Temple Mountain for a few hours. Good times!
    "All roads, all codes!"

Just curious to know if anyone has camped at the Colton Guard (Ranger) Station before in the Ashley National Forest. Looks like it's about 20 miles north-northwest of Vernal.
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    We always camp at either the Shadydell or Cobblerest campgrounds up the mirror lake highway. They are a little less "crowded" and its not that far of a drive to some great lakes for kid fishing. They have running water and bathrooms.
    Last time we were there Cobblerest didn't have the running water. A pipe broke and I heard they may not fix it. It wasn't too big of a deal to just run down to Shadydell and fill up a couple 5 gal jugs.
    Sites are nice with firepits and tables and most of them have some trees to separate you from neighbors. We try to get a spot on the Eastish side of the campground so you can walk over and play by the river. If you do go you have to visit "fairyland" with the kids.
    +1 Both are excellent for family car or RV trips. Some of my faves.

Does anybody have any photos of Cobblerest or Shady Dell campgrounds?

What about site preferences? We'd be tent camping.
    "All roads, all codes!"

my vote is squaw flats in the needles district of canyonlands national park. great place for kids too.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.