Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passes away

Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passes away

LDS Church President & Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passed away tonight at 7 pm.

He was 97.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is the first time that I have loved someone so deeply and not been sad at their death. I love President Hinckley and I am really impressed with him as a man and a church leader, but I am excited for him to get back together with his wife Marjorie who died a few years ago. It is obvious he has missed her, and I feel like he did more than his share on this Earth.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

He's a great man, could go down as one of the greatest LDS leaders of all time, I can't think of another who had a greater impact except for the first two.

It was on his watch when the LDS church became relevent.

Sad Time but a Happy Time

I personally was saddened at this news. He had a wonderful sense of humor and loved everyone regardless of who they were. he had the ability to make anyone think they were his close friend. I wish I had that ability.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Re: Sad Time but a Happy Time

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk
    I personally was saddened at this news. He had a wonderful sense of humor and loved everyone regardless of who they were. he had the ability to make anyone think they were his close friend. I wish I had that ability.
    Yep. People keep mentioning about how personable he was and of course his great sense of humor. 97 years old is a long time, amazing life that he led.

He was a great man and a wonderful example. I will truly miss listening to him at the LDS General Conference. Last night was not easy for me and my family and really the first time I had to explain death to my kids. They were all very sad. I hear the kids and teenagers are dressed up for school today out of respect for Pres. Hinckley and I think that is pretty cool. He was easy to follow and appealed to all ages. I will miss him.
    Life is Good

What an amazing man! I heard this when I got home from work this morning. I always looked forward to hearing him. His passing will definitely be felt worldwide.

Hey I'm not a Mo-Mo and I am sad to see him pass. He was a stand up guy. I met him once briefly at his brother's funeral. As humble as any other man I met.

I am actually related to him thru marriage. He was one of the youngest from a large family, eleven I think. Well one of his sisters, Sylvia, married my dad's brother. Also on of his brothers, Sherman, married my dad's sister.

James

I saw the Flag at half mast today, and looked up the regulations of having the flag at half-mast.

Upon proclamation from the President or your state's governor.

Of course, Huntsman did.

http://www.utah.gov/governor/news/20..._01_27_08.html

The Governor has authorized the Flag of the United States of America and the Flag of the State of Utah to be lowered in honor of President Gordon B. Hinckley. The flags shall be flown at half-staff on all state-owned facilities until sunset on the day of his interment.

If a flag cannon be half-masted...

The flag rules make no provisions for this. However, army regulations state, "A streamer of black crepe 7 feet long and 1 foot wide will be attached to the staff immediately below the spearhead of the U.S. flag."

Just wanted to share what I learned today.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

What's the "prophet" part all about? Splain.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quiet Episcopal, let them mourn in peace

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Quiet Episcopal, let them mourn in peace :haha:
    But I'm curious. I wanna learn.

Don't YOU wanna learn?

-- Wm Blake

You want to learn, hmm? Send me your address..... A couple of guys in white shirts & ties will be at your front door shortly. DON'T slam the door in their faces, either.
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70
    You want to learn, hmm? Send me your address..... A couple of guys in white shirts & ties will be at your front door shortly. DON'T slam the door in their faces, either. :mrgreen:
    They've been here, I got the book. Just want to know what the "prophet" part means. That's all.

-- Wm Blake

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the church is led by living prophets; inspired men called to speak for the Lord (i.e. - Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon) and other prophets found in the Bible and Book of Mormon.

Church members sustain the President of the Church as prophet, seer, and revelator
    "All roads, all codes!"

Statement from President Thomas S. Monson:

"It was my privilege to know and love President Hinckley long before either of us was called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles or the First Presidency. Through the years I have sat next to him, have served with him and have learned from him. I am a witness to his prophetic calling.

"President Hinckley was prodigious in his work ethic and was totally dedicated to the gospel of Jesus Christ. He was a friend to one and all and a leader who inspired spirituality. His outreach on an international scale was unprecedented. He was truly a prophet for our time. Like the Master, he devoted his life to doing good, and God was surely with him. His life was a gift to the world."

[quote=Mooseman70]Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the church is led by living prophets; inspired men called to speak for the Lord (i.e. - Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Paul, Nephi, Mormon) and other prophets found in the Bible and Book of Mormon.

Church members sustain the President of the Church as prophet, seer, and revelator

-- Wm Blake

Great.

President Hinckley's funeral already has been targeted as a protest site by members of the Westboro Baptist Church. Members of the Topeka, Kan., church have picketed several military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality. The group issued a press release Monday saying members will picket President Hinckley's funeral.

In June, three Westboro church members demonstrated a few blocks from the funeral of a South Jordan soldier. The protesters held signs displaying messages such as "pray for more dead soldiers."
    I hope they can spell.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695248517,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Great.

President Hinckley's funeral already has been targeted as a protest site by members of the Westboro Baptist Church. Members of the Topeka, Kan., church have picketed several military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality. The group issued a press release Monday saying members will picket President Hinckley's funeral.

In June, three Westboro church members demonstrated a few blocks from the funeral of a South Jordan soldier. The protesters held signs displaying messages such as "pray for more dead soldiers."
    I hope they can spell.

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Great.

I hope they can spell.

Why have they targeted this man's funeral? Geeze!

-- Wm Blake