Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! Where is this spot???

Help!!! Where is this spot???

Hi there,

How knows the location of these fantastic red and white colored cliffs, where Fatali took his picture "Happily Ever After" ???

Any ideas??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Greetings from Germany!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not quite sure, but it might be Mystery Canyon....... Actually, that is a guess. Sounds good, though, doesn't it?

I mean, I have never been to Mystery Canyon. Hell, right off hand I couldn't even tell you where it is.

Maybe this year I will have to go to Mystery Canyon. Then I will let you know if I see those rocks.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Fantasy Canyon?

Thanks for your answers!

Im sure, it isnt Fantasy Canyon. Sorry. Fantasy Canyon has only an light grey color-no red parts.

Isnt either Little Egypt located south of Hanksville.

The area, I mean is below a long cliff. From a french photographer I know the red and white canyon (his name for that spot) is somewhere in an indian reservation.
    Maybe around Page I guess...

Mmmh...hard work to discover...

Here are some more photos:

Pict #2

And last but not least:#3

looks like it could be in the vicinity of coal/coalmine canyon on the hopi nation

similar rock at least

Quote Originally Posted by jfeiro
    Fantasy Canyon?

See, I couldn't even get the name right....
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I've been to Coal Mine Canyon a couple times and haven't seen formations quite like your photos. However, it is a large place and the strata certainly are similar. Another possibility is Bisti Badlands in New Mexico.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Thanks for the pics from Coal Mine Canyon.

I think I have there a little chance to find the Spot Im looking for.

So I plan to print one of these pictures and driving to the town of Tuba City.
    If this fantastic Cliff is in the surrounding Area of this town, the citizens of Tuba City will help me to find it.

Thanks to you all!!!

PS: More ideas are very welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rocks
    Thanks for the pics from Coal Mine Canyon.

I think I have there a little chance to find the Spot Im looking for.

So I plan to print one of these pictures and driving to the town of Tuba City.
    If this fantastic Cliff is in the surrounding Area of this town, the citizens of Tuba City will help me to find it.
    i suggested the vicinity because there are a good number of shallow as well as deep canyons
    cutting through the same slab of rock which extends for miles. it's likely difficult to locate the place
    without being told where or exploring considerably. also, given that this is the hopi nation, there are
    issues with access which must be regarded.

I feel certain you are speaking of Coal Mine Canyon. From Tuba City, go 15 miles south on highway 264. You will see (on the left side of the road) a windmill and water tank for cattle. Take the dirt road leading toward the tank and go around the tank to a rim where you will see a picnic table. Near there you will find a trail that leads into the canyon. Other dirt roads lead to other rim sections and different perspectives, but no easy trails into the canyon that I have found. Watch yourself around the rim ans there is serious undercutting in places. I don't want to find your bones next time I go.

Another entry point is a dirt road around mile marker 341. Slightly different views along this road, and different kinds of formations.

There appears to be another dirt road running along the SE part of the canyon. I have not explored enough to find that road, as the dirt trails go everywhere out there, crossing and criss-crossing. I want an Indian to take me and bring me back again.

You will see lots of abandoned houses (?) around the rim. I believe these were Navajo homes at one time, but the Navajo and Hopi tribes did a land swap that left the canyon with the Hopi. Therefore, the Navajo around Tuba City don't have much to say about it. I don't think the Hopi care about the land except for running cattle. I've never seen anyone there.

Have fun. It is one of my favorite places.
    Stan

Probably on the right track, from this Philippe Schuler guy's website:

"As these remote canyons full of nice hoodoos are located on an Indian Reservation where photographers are not really welcome, the friend who led us there asked us not
    to disclose these locations when publishing our pictures. I will respect that, only calling these places "White & Red Canyon", so please don't ask me for information
    about them ! However, as many hoodoos afficionados are already looking for these places and will find them, I have no doubt that they will be soon quite wellknown."

http://www.phschuler.com/usa2006/WHI...YON/index.html

It puzzles me that I did not see hoodoos and formations like the ones in that web site, and none of his photos show the kinds of formations I saw. If it is the same canyon, it must be a totally different area. For example, I was exploring the west end (around highway 264), but there are Indian roads that appear to pass the east end. Perhaps that is how he was able to drive into the canyon. I need to go back and spend more time there.

The Hopi generally post signs prohibiting photography as you enter their towns/pueblos. I have seen no such signs around the canyon.
    Stan

Don't think you'll really get an answer to your question - specially not from any Germans who might know.
    People make a big secret out of this place, but if you search long enough on the internet you'll find out where it is...and it's not the Coal Mine Canyon.

hmm ... sounds like a waste of time to search through the internets ... but, i think i have a really good guess for where this place might be.

all this secrecy ... to play along, i'll only post a small sat image of the whole.

If you have a real idea about where the canyon is located, it's not a waste of time to search through the internet...

aye ... there's the rub.

i reverse engineered it ... i found something reasonable on a satellite image, looked at the corresponding topo, found a name, then searched for that name and ...

that being said ... you can't always trust the internets

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    to play along, i'll only post a small sat image of the whole.

Stefan, where did you find such good satellite imagery of the area? The stuff in Google Earth/Maps is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by americandreams
    Anyone found this place ?
    http://maps.google.com/maps?t=p&hl=e...,0.027294&z=15

http://www.pbase.com/dougsherman/image/95126403

http://www.zehrer-online.de/htm_bilder_bluecanyon.htm

http://www.pbase.com/tnarwid/image/65648585

http://www.pbase.com/tnarwid/image/65648255
    Blog | FB