Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Canyons

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Might need to throw a few more stupid guys into the mix too, so I have someone to talk to.
    You rang????
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah Kev, you've got to hook up with some peeps in your neck of the woods, and see some of those canyons in your (literal) backyard. You done Cypress yet? Wow! It's beautiful. And it is right in Vancouver, right through a neighborhood. Wouldn't know it once you are in the gorge though.
    Not yet. Ever since I heard about it after your excursion, I've been meaning to at least stop by and have a look, but haven't had a chance yet. It's a must do for this summer. I only know one fellow personally who does (lots of) this stuff around here, so I'll be bugging him as the seasons change... I sort of know Matt, who was on the trip with you guys, so I'll probably try talk him into more of this too.
    I hear you on the grand gulch stuff too. I just mapped out my dream plan for down there, now if I can only execute it...
    Oooooh, a dream plan. I may have to pick your brain some. This won't hurt a bit...

The only one I really want to do that is new is Das Boot. I would like to get to Quandry to get some experience in some potholes. Mabey a canyon with some easier stemming to practice that as well. I would love a real challanging canyon like Kolob, Imlay, or Heaps but as Tom pointed out in my Spry thread my skills are quite lacking.

I do want to take my family down some non tech canyons. Little Death Hollow, Ding, Wild horse window, Little wild horse, Peek a Boo and Spooky.
    The man thong is wrong.

A couple of posts over on the yahoo group reminded me that I also would like to do the full Right Fork, as a two day journey. Forgot about that one.

So pencil me in for:

Heaps, Imlay, Kolob and Right Fork (2 or 3 days?)

Couple of less technical ones in Death Hollow and Grand Gulch (both hopefully to do some photography.)

And then, I'll be content with whatever... Or, at least until someone else offers up a suggestion, and I decide I must do that as well.

A couple of posts over on the yahoo group reminded me that I also would like to do the full Right Fork, as a two day journey. Forgot about that one.
    the right fork is wonderful and was my first technical canyon

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    It looks like we have enough on here that want to do Kolob, Heaps, Imlay. We should create a master epic trip

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    the right fork is wonderful and was my first technical canyon.
    When you did Right fork did you use the route in the green book or go straight down the gut?

I've never done right fork so that's anther route I could be talked into pretty easy.

Also courious what folks consider the best Approach to Right Fork.... Hammer Head? Little Blue? Blue? something in between? Anyone dropped the canyon just south of Hammer Head?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    When you did Right fork did you use the route in the green book or go straight down the gut?
    so, my memory isn't so great. i believe the route is roughly similar to the green book. though we had the book, we were also going off the memory of a friend we were with who had done the canyon a decade earlier.

so, my memory isn't so great. i believe the route is roughly similar to the green book. though we had the book, we were also going off the memory of a friend we were with who had done the canyon a decade earlier.
    The Right Fork was also my first technical slot (July '92 I think?). We followed teh green book (Brereton/Dunway). I would also like to do that one again. There are many options in various parts of the Canyon. I'd like to do the Hammerhead start next time, and then stay directly in the canyon bottom. Like Death Hollow, I think that it is also one worth taking one's time on, maybe two or three days. Many great campsites. Also, once you are finished with the tech section, there are some incredibly idyllic spots where one could spend the afternoon swimming and jumping in crystal clear pools (especially in the summer), and lounging in the shade. Also like Death Hollow, I don't think that it sees much traffic.
    nat smale

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    I'd like to do the Hammerhead start next time, and then stay directly in the canyon bottom.
    Hammerhead combined with direct is what I was thinking for my first time.....

You and Stefan in the same canyon? I'm not sure a simple-minded fella like myself could keep pace with you two... Might need to throw a few more stupid guys into the mix too, so I have someone to talk to.
    They are both polite enough to try to not talk numbers too often. Death Hollow is on my to-do list for sure, and has been for a while, I'm down to be some stupid company for you Dan. 2008, finally a year not full of books and class work. Yea, I will have some to do but not much. My list:

Death Hollow
    Heaps (again)
    Kolob flowing (again)
    Bakers (of course this means Neon and Chop again)
    Right Fork (I plan it every year, and every year it never happens)
    Powell canyons I hear so much about (finally!)
    Hog 3
    The Squeeze
    Quandary Direct
    Zero - G
    Cable
    At least one canyon in the Swell since I've never done any.
    Aardvark
    Raven and Headless
    Chambers
    and dare I say it... Sandthrax (with someone who can handle the crux)

Other goals:
    Death Valley canyons
    Glacier National Park
    Pacific Northwest Canyons (I'm not missing them this year!)
    Possibly break the 5.11 barrier into 12's?
    The Grand Teton
    Moderate cascade routes
    Since I'll be 30 this year I might even try to find a woman ;)

I'm not really up for any technical canyons this year (at least not by myself), but I am planning to do Forgotten Canyon and Moonshine Wash this spring. If I have the time and money during the remainder of the year, I might attempt some other easy Swell canyons (Little Wild Horse and vicinity).

I suppose I should post most of my to do list:

Imlay (full), only seen short, gotta see the top
    the Squeeze ( non-stinky version)
    Heaps (through Phantomn Valley this time)
    Kolob (yet to see it)
    Choprock and a lot in escalante, (yet to see any of it)
    A shit load of stuff in the San Juans ( I have until August before I'm out of Durango and SSSSSSSSooooooooooooooo much to do)
    I gotta do another backpack trip through dark canyon
    Get out to the roost
    Gotta do Little wildhorse with my Dad again (a MUST)

Hope and pray I get the river permit I applied for

FILL UP MAY ( i got the whole month off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

and more I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    Choprock and a lot in escalante, (yet to see any of it)
    A shit load of stuff in the San Juans ( I have until August before I'm out of Durango and SSSSSSSSooooooooooooooo much to do)
    I gotta do another backpack trip through dark canyon

FILL UP MAY ( i got the whole month off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

and more I hope!
    Yeah, May is the best month, in my opinion, for slots on the Colorado Plateau...having the whole month off is awesome

Escalante is a MUST DO area as far as canyons go Obviously Choprock, but the Bakers (especially the E fk) are also incredible, as well as numerous high stemming slots.

Stuff in the San Juans...climbing or canyoneering?
    nat smale

[quote="nat"]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    Stuff in the San Juans...climbing or canyoneering?
    A "few" alpine goals, but mostly canyoneering.

Right Fork, Kolob, Death Hollow, and Aardvark have been on my list for a while. Hopefully I can get a couple of them this year. The problem with Death Hollow especially is that there are so many ways to do it. I am not necessarily set on seeing the upper canyon and the slot, but I'm very interested in doing some kind of loop involving the BMT, upper Mamie and Moonshadow canyons, and DH below approximately the Sulfur spring.

I did get to Glacier NP this year--Shaggy, are you going to hike? Climb? It is scenic, with some neat ledge routes to be had, but given that they are hardly any closer than the Cascades, I probably wouldn't go back. The WA cascades are lush, soaring, pointy, ice-clad mountains. Glacier has some big mountains, but at least on the east side, it seemed like a relatively arid collection of stacked horizontal cliff bands and tall chossy slopes, with a glacier here and there. Don't get me wrong--it's very pretty and has its moments. It's just not the Cascades.

(Maybe my impressions of Glacier were colored by the fact that several trails, and therefore access routes, to my top priorities were closed throughout my visit because of bear activity. This is apparently very commonplace at certain times of year. We got back at the bears by eating a bunch of the huckleberries causing all the activity.)

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    I'd like to do the Hammerhead start next time, and then stay directly in the canyon bottom.
    Hammerhead combined with direct is what I was thinking for my first time.....
    We're thinking of doing this route in the early summer. Maybe May depending on the run-off. We're definately getting into the Right Fork this year. We've planned it so many times and it always gets pushed off. We were snowshoeing the west rim this past weekend and we were looking into the right fork and saying "we got to get into there."

What about another UUtah Zion trip? Seemed successful last summer. We'll make a few new rules, no grey bikini briefs or holier than thou whiners.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!