Thread: Satellite Phone Petition for Outdoor Enthus. & MISC upda

Blog Entries

Satellite Phone Petition for Outdoor Enthus. & MISC upda

Just so you know, it may sound like spam but its not...heh. really.

So while looking for a satellite phone for my many, many, many adventures, I couldn't come to grasp with one that I really liked. I researched all the global providers but didn't like them at all.
    They ALL required a monthly fee ($29.99) was the cheapest.
    I want a phone that I could use as a "pay-as-you-go" service.

IE. Buy the phone. Buy the minutes. Use it whenever and wherever you want. I would personally use when I reach my remote destinations and let my loved-ones and g/f know that I am safe and how the adventure is going. I am sure you would want the same too. But I DO NOT want to pay for a monthy service charge.

That's why I created this petition. Sign if you think this is a good idea! Pass the world along!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/con...-phone-service

BTW - I am nearly done with my Google Earth maps of:
    - all Utah Thermal Springs (above 65 degrees F)! over a 110 places!
    - most Arches in Utah!
    - water holes in Utah!
    - And nearly all mines in Utah!

so expect those in a few or so as well.
    Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am slowly being asked and convinced to join the amateur radio side of things.
    They have repeaters all over the area. Some of the smaller models are around a $150. But, you take a test that is avail to look at on the internet and no fees. Then, you have one radio, and your friend at home has the
    other one. But, you are limited to calling just that person, I believe.
    Especially since cell phones are mostly worthless in so many areas.

Safety net use only. If something happens to delay me or hurt me, I can talk to someone in some remote areas. Just like SAR? anyone use this?

Good luck! Great post, by the way!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Interesting petition... while I think it would be nice if they provided a more affordable service, there is a reason they don't... they don't have to and the market doesn't bear it. Look at cell phones, prices have continued to go down while features go up. Until large amounts of users start switching to sat phones, I don't see them changing anything. If they were hurting for money they would have done it on their own

However, as Rented Mule mentioned, you really ought to look into HAM radio. Very easy to get licensed, relatively cheap setup (one time purchase ~$200). An example...

We were running the Pony Express Trail last Saturday, from Faust to Wendover. Midway (near Calleo) one of the rigs in our group lost a fuel pump. Another member of our group contacted a hammer in OR, who was able to contact a hammer in St. George, who called a freind in Ely. the Ely hammer was able to communicate with us, and eventually met us in Wendover with the spare pump. Neat use of HAM radios.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule
    I am slowly being asked and convinced to join the amateur radio side of things.
    They have repeaters all over the area. Some of the smaller models are around a $150. But, you take a test that is avail to look at on the internet and no fees. Then, you have one radio, and your friend at home has the
    other one. But, you are limited to calling just that person, I believe.
    Especially since cell phones are mostly worthless in so many areas.

Safety net use only. If something happens to delay me or hurt me, I can talk to someone in some remote areas. Just like SAR? anyone use this?

Good luck! Great post, by the way!
    Thanks! So...first, you live in St. George? Well I just graduated from college down there back in Dec 07 and know the area, extremely well. I use to be a wildland firefighter working for the BLM during the summer and got to know all of AZ strip extremely well (4 hours south of the border in the middle of nowhere...wow, such memories. heh). Anywho, those repeaters you speak of are all throughout the region. I still have a list of all the frequencies but that would be a illegal to give out. Besides, those radios that we used (BK King) cost over $2000 a piece! (Granted a sat phone's price ranges from $500 to $1,200). But you are right, with those, I could reach anyone 150 miles to the north of me...BUT they had to be scanning those frequencies otherwise it is just a hassle.

Now...I do realize that getting a telecommunication company to do such a service probably isn't worth their time and money - although I see it a profitable service for them and a very, very convient service for us...and it doesn't hurt to open their eyes is it? At the very least, it "might" show them that there is a group who is interested in buying it. Over time, I believe that is how cellphones will evolve - all communicating over satellite and no more telestial. That will be a great day.

Sat Phone

Jnmar,
    Motorola offers what you are looking for. The iridium phone system has available a calling card. This card lets you use your phone when you would like to. THe down side to motorolas system is the phone costs more and I think the card has an expiration on it.
    I researched sat phones years ago and purchased a globalstar. Globalstar right now is having problems with their network so sat coverage isn't very reliable right now. There phone is less expensive and I pay about 35 per month.
    Mark

Jman
    There is also another device called spot. www.findmespot.com Spot uses globalstars network. The rates are alot cheaper. Not as sat phone but would work for most situations.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    hey thanks for the great reply moab mark. I really appreciate that a lot. I need to look into the Iridium more - sounds like it will be my best option...to bad the minutes expire with the plan though....

So how do you like Globalstar besides the downtime they are having?

Globalstar has had several satelites go out of service over the last year. They have launched several new ones but they are not in operation yet. Suppose to be up and going by feb? Prior to this problem the phone worked flawlessly. I originally purchased the bigger one, last year I upgraded to the new smaller one and like it alot. When you do your research I think you will find the iridium with the cost of the phone is to expensive. When I bought mine it would of taken about 2 to 3 years to break even going with the iridium and calling card over the cheaper globalstar phone and paying 35 per month. Could be different now due to new cost from each company. If I didn't have a phone already I would purchase the spot system. It is a inexpensive way to stay in touch.
    Mark