Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TR: Water Canyon

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

TR: Water Canyon

Went and summited Water Canyon this past weekend with some of the in-laws. I had been out there this past spring, but had to turn back because of time constriaints, and that my parents did not want to scurt up the canyon so close against the edge.

The dirt road was not bad getting in. My civic made it, though I have a off road civic, or at least I treat it as such. It was real easy hiking at the begining. The sand was not hard to walk on at all. If you go don't forget to catch Water Canyon arch right as you head up the canyon. The snow wasn't too bad at all. The trail was only slippery in a few places. Only one slippery place on the trail (sloped slick rock) was bad, and we used a recently fallen tree as a bridge over that. Had my sister-in-law wanted to turn around I would have, but she was the opposite type of a person and determined to summit so I spoted her all the way up.

I always find that I stare at the houses while driving through Hildale and Colorado Cities. Any one else do that too? There is one house that I think looks nice, but has the most hidious sheet metal security fence around it. I need to get a pic of it and post it.

The pics were taken late around 4:30 ish or 5:00 ish so they are a little washed out by the exposure. enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

more pics

So - what kind of time frame did you do this in? I'm probably going to be heading up there on Saturday. Glad to see some pics :D
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    So - what kind of time frame did you do this in? I'm probably going to be heading up there on Saturday. Glad to see some pics :D
    I started a little after 3 PM and made it up the cliff face to where you see my pics were taken from and back to the car as it started to become really dark 5:45 ish. In the past I have been like Kelsey and walk way to fast. But I don't think I went too fast I had other people in tow I had to wait for.

Be careful with the snow and switch backs some are slippery. It was not hard to find the trail in the snow. After I reached the plateau I did not continue on. It might be hard to find the trail through that snow on the plateau.

Good Luck, report back

Bogley BigShot
    Nice photos of Water Canyon, but it looks like you were not able to get to Canaan Mountain due to the snow.... other than a hike to the top where you would begin that hike. It's good you did not have trouble driving to the trailhead. That dirt road can be muddy and slippery when wet, but its just a quick little hike even if you have to park in town.

The cool thing about Water Canyon in the winter is that the water run heavier than in the summer.

This will be a short and easy hike for you Mike... although that bit of uphill to the top of Water Canyon gets a person huffing and puffing!

There is a hike to the arch mentioned, but again that is probably not possible in the winter due to snow...... or actually... you might be able to get to Cannan Mountain if you go through Squirrel Canyon? We have never tried it? What do you think Bo? I know you can't get into Canaan from Water Canyon due to snow unless you are ready to tread in some deep snow.

Regular Route from Hildale to Rockville
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...n-mountain.htm

Squirrel Canyon and the Arch
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/water-canyon-arch.htm

Day hike from Hildale and out same way
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/canaan-mountain

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

There is a hike to the arch mentioned, but again that is probably not possible in the winter due to snow...... or actually... you might be able to get to Cannan Mountain if you go through Squirrel Canyon? We have never tried it? What do you think Bo? I know you can't get into Canaan from Water Canyon due to snow unless you are ready to tread in some deep snow.

Actually you are on top of Canaan Mountain once you go up Water Canyon or Squirrel Canyon. I think maybe what you are referring to Tanya is going to The Notch, The Windlass, Sawmill Spring, Lower Mountain, The Old Stock Trail to Eagle Crags, Etc.?

Yes, routefinding would be a bit trickier with some snow cover on the ground, however not impossible. I also think you could get to the Water Canyon Arch, but once again snow might make it a bit tricky and possibly dangerous? We went up Squirrel Canyon-doubled back to the arch-went back to the atv road and-headed west to the white domes- then came back down water canyon. I think the link Tanya posted of our trip will show pretty well the route A nice big loop with a side trip to stand on the arch. You would want to get a pretty early start for this hike though.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck

Actually you are on top of Canaan Mountain once you go up Water Canyon or Squirrel Canyon. I think maybe what you are referring to Tanya is going to The Notch, The Windlass, Sawmill Spring, Lower Mountain, The Old Stock Trail to Eagle Crags, Etc.?

Yes, routefinding would be a bit trickier with some snow cover on the ground, however not impossible. I also think you could get to the Water Canyon Arch, but once again snow might make it a bit tricky and possibly dangerous? We went up Squirrel Canyon-doubled back to the arch-went back to the atv road and-headed west to the white domes- then came back down water canyon. I think the link Tanya posted of our trip will show pretty well the route A nice big loop with a side trip to stand on the arch. You would want to get a pretty early start for this hike though.
    Do you remember the very first time we went? We could only get to Top Rock. There was too much snow to continue.

Do you remember the very first time we went? We could only get to Top Rock. There was too much snow to continue.
    Yes I do remember, but by the pictures shown on this thread from last weekend, there is not nearly as much snow as the first time we went up. I do know that routefinding will be harder with any amount of snow though and some of the slickrock scrambling could be really tricky if it has snow on it.

From all the pics I've seen of that area, I just want to get lost up there for a few days and just explore, you know, when it's warm enough to not sustain snow
    Mike

Bogley BigShot
    That is what I would suggest Mike. I think you would enjoy it (and it would be safer) a lot more!!!! if you go in the spring after most of the snow is gone.

When I got on top the snow was not too deep at all. I was just in running shoes. I was not planning on continuing with the hike since it was late, but the snow was still enough that I had no idea where the trail went once on top. I do believe one could still go up and wander around reasonably and marvel, but route finding would be difficult.

Truly a gem of a place! One of my favorites! In April, those huge hedgehog cactus clusters will have red blooms that make a great big bouquet. Nice pictures! Congratulations to your sister in law for making it all the way up there with tricky conditions that could worsen around the next bend. Cheers!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

i believe the arch in the photo that trackrunner submitted is not the same arch as described by Tanya and Bo on their Water Canyon TR. That
    Water Canyon Arch is high up on the cliffwall looking right as you head up canyon. Trackrunner labelled his photo as "Unique arch formation at the second drop." I presume that that arch would be deep inside the canyon somewhere. Is it hard to spot from the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    i believe the arch in the photo that trackrunner submitted is not the same arch as described by Tanya and Bo on their Water Canyon TR. That
    Water Canyon Arch is high up on the cliffwall looking right as you head up canyon. Trackrunner labelled his photo as "Unique arch formation at the second drop." I presume that that arch would be deep inside the canyon somewhere. Is it hard to spot from the trail?
    No it isn't. Here is a picture of the arch above Water Canyon that we describe.

Bogley BigShot
    It's scarey to stand on.. how it slopes!

Quote Originally Posted by erial
    Water Canyon Arch is high up on the cliff wall looking right as you head up canyon. Trackrunner labeled his photo as "Unique arch formation at the second drop." I presume that that arch would be deep inside the canyon somewhere. Is it hard to spot from the trail?
    I wrote about two arches, Water Canyon Arch in the trail description. If start hiking and look up to the east canyon wall it is not hard to spot. Though when I took my mother there she could not find it for the life of her. I had to zoom in and take a picture to show her. One of my picture that I posted earlier looks down canyon has Water Canyon Arch high up on the (left) east cliff wall. It is hard to spot in that pic.

Tanya's website pic of Water Canyon Arch

The "unique arch formation" that I posted a close up pic is on the east wall just above the second drop (its a big drop). Arch is small, just a couple of feet. You climb the first, maybe 10ft, drop and go up the switch back. When the switch back levels out the canyon kind of slots up a little. This is where the second (bigger) drop is. Look to right (assume hiking up canyon so east wall) it

Bogley BigShot
    I am flattered, but it's good because Bo writes the trip reports and hikes with me!

ok, i got the picture of where that arch is inside the canyon. Thanks for passing along the additional information.

THX for sharing TR and photo.

We plan a hike in Water Canyon area in May.
    One question please.
    Is the road from the end of Utah Av (Hildale) to the parking lot suitable by RV?

depends on how high clearance the RV is & how good of shape the road is. I've had a low clearance passenger car make it there no problem. i've seen the road rutted with deep tracks from people driving it while it was muddy