Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighborhood Tavern

Neighborhood Tavern

The one thing that really sucks about Utah is there are no neighborhood bars. The folks who actually live in SLC or Ogden are lucky because you guys actually have a few descent neighborhood bars/taverns....

Anyhoo.... here's the deal.... I need to find a new local bar (usually a club in Utah speak) to hang at.

A descent beer selection, good food, reasonable prices, pool, darts and a couple of big screen TV's are all high priority.... close to Draper is also sweet.... the hot young stripper wife and I have recently started hitting one of my old haunts, The Leprechaun, but I'm looking for a few other options....

Thought about checking out a couple of the bars in Lehi, cause that is actually pretty dang close to my house. Anyone been into them, honestly the Lehi bars look a little scary from the outside but looks can be deceiving.... Heck, Ray's Tavern in Green River looks a little scary from the outside but we all know that place is sweet....

Any suggestions?

A pitcher of the finest ale for whomever hooks my up with a new place I like.

Oh yeah.... and no freakin' dancin', bands or DJ's.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Re: Neighborhood Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    A descent beer selection, good food, reasonable prices, pool, darts and a couple of big screen TV's are all high priority.... close to Draper is also sweet....
    Get Iggy's to add pool tables and darts - the rest is already there.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

DickHead
    Sounds like it stime for you to become an entrepreneur.....

I live Downtown now, Murphy's Pub on Main Street surprised me in its coolness factor. Don't you live in BFE? I'd meet you at Murphy's if you ever wanted to check it out, Monday, tuesday, Wednesday and every other Friday (damn Bitch!)

Moab has that Brewery, which has a decent selection of brews

A little more info....

We hit Hooter's a lot. I like their 3 mile island wings and they have "the Mtn" so I can watch the Utah and BYU games. But more a restaurant and not a tavern. We also do Iggy's all the time. Great food and TV set up.... down side, they don't have "the Mtn". And again, more a restaurant and not a tavern.

I don't live in BFE, I just live south.... where gambling and slavery are still legal. And if ya don't believe the slavery part just ask my kids.

There are a couple great bars in Park City, but that's a long drive and they double the prices figuring your a dumbass tourist. I have noticed many of the PC bars will give you a discount if you mention you are a local.

I don't mind hitting bars downtown, so long as parking is easy and freeway access is easy.... I hate driving around downtown, particularly since my car is and extended cab 4x4 truck and the downtown parking is not engineered to handle such a beast.

We used to hang at Lumpy's a lot, but I haven't been there in 20 years. Anyone been lately?

What about "The Puck", thought about checking that place out....

Other places we used to hang but I haven't been to in a while, Cotton Bottom, Demet's (Now Hog Wallow?), Canyon Inn,..... so far Murhpy's is sound pretty good, except the on Main part.

So.... tell me what ya got?!?!?

I like the Canyon Inn if you are south of the east side belt route.

The Canyon Inn used to have live music and dancing on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays..... is that still the deal? I'm looking for more a nice Sports Bar type place.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Ok......everyone put your favorite scenerio together for the "ultimate" bar (we can call it The Man Cave) No pole dancers (sorry Ice) and no full restaurant - just finger food (nachos, etc.....) I think Sandy/Draper could use a good "Cheers" type of location. Back in New Orleans, some of the newer and larger apt complexes have "neighborhood" bars located within the complex - usually next to the pool.

I have investors I work with in real estate, but the market completely sucks right now. There are some great bargains to buy out there, but the selling market is just too soft. Perhaps they would like to invest their money elsewhere for the time being. Of course, patrons would have to watch the LSU and Saints football games, and of course Mardi Gras festivities would be held (no flashing allowed unless you're over 65)

Never regret anything that made you smile!

I think a high class sports bar in Draper would do great.... but actually getting the permits for it would be next to impossable I think.

And you need enough TV's that folks can watch whatever they want.... best Sports Bar in Utah is in PC as part of the Marriott Summit complex. I go up there to watch a lot of College football.... they have EVERY game on at least one TV. The place is awesome. Sometimes 30 or 40 different games going on at the same time. And the place is packed from 10 in the morning until closing.

Sorry I'm no help, as far as I know, the closest decent bar to Draper is in Vegas.

In my never ending quest to find the perfect local tavern I found a real fun old school bar not far from my house.

Lazy Dog Saloon
    12755 S Redwood Rd
    Riverton, UT 84065

Here's the deal.... It's a bar, not a club, so no membership is required. On tap is Bud, Bud Light and Hef.... that's it... that's the entire menu.... no food, no chips, no extras, no lemon for the Hef. They do have several bottled beers in the cooler but I didn't bother checking out just what.... draft is served in a plastic cup or a pitcher. The place has two pool tables and karaoke on Wednesday and Saturday night. No darts, no pin-ball, no extras. I've only visited on Saturday nights and the place is packed, I'm told that Wednesday night is also a large crowd.

This bar is real old school.... when the hot young stripper wife and I first walked in I asked her if she was cool with the place because we might have to fight our way out at the end of the evening.... Upon first entering the place has the strong feel of a drink, fight or f**k and it doesn't really matter which type of establishment...... but everyone was really cool. It is defiantly a country/cowboy type crowd with lots of screaming yea-haws, hardcore country music and girls dancing on the tables in their boots and buckles.... in other words, an awesome bunch to party with.... anyhoo... it is a local bar populated by locals who welcomed us in and made us feel at home. The hot young stripper wife and I owned one of the pool tables all evening as we were unbeatable in teams. At the end of the evening most of the locals made it a point of welcoming us back in the future and I was amazed at what a friendly place it was.

So.... I found a fun occasional Saturday night hang-out.... but I'm still in search of the ultimate tavern.

I can vouch for a couple of watering holes.

Hogwallow - Best patio in town, great live music but can get packed on weekends. Ski crowd. Good staff and decent nachos. Pool (2), darts etc. Private club.

Canyon Inn - Went smoke free about 6 months ago and installed some pizza ovens. I havent tried the pizza's but reports from the neighborhood are positive. They have the best Black and Blue Burger I have ever tasted. Good dancing on weekends, older crowd then the Hog. Pool (3?) and darts. Private club.

Cottonbottom - world class burgers, small inside with limited seating. No dancing and a tiny pool table but good juke box. A good place to sit around and shoot the sh!t. Tavern.

The Huddle - Sports bar that started out pretty pathetic, a bar, some TV's and plastic chairs. They have added to the furniture and it is much better. A great place to watch sports but only have maybe 12 TV's versus 857 of some sports bars. OK food, Private club.

I have never had any trouble in any of these bars, but I dont go looking for it either. I cant say that about almost every bar in Rock Springs, what a place. All of these are in or near Cottonwood Heights and are observed by the establishment pretty tightly so they keep things on the up and up.

I grew up in Willow Creek so those were part of our playground....

Hogwallow used to be one of our big time summer hangouts. This was a few years back and it was then called "Demet's". They used to have horseshoe pits out on the back patio and we used to play shoes and drink beer..... Lot's of fun times in that place. Are the shoe pits still in back? For a while back in the Urban Cowboy days they even had a machanical bull out back. That was the first one I ever rode.

I've drank many a beer and have eaten many a Garlic Burger at the Cotton Bottom.

Something about the Canyon Inn.... it just never captured my interest.

I'll have to check out The Huddle.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I've drank many a beer and have eaten many a Garlic Burger at the Cotton Bottom.
    I don't drink but I do go here for the Garlic Burger

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I don't drink but
    Sweet.... hey guys... we have our designated driver.

Are the shoe pits still in back? For a while back in the Urban Cowboy days they even had a machanical bull out back. That was the first one I ever rode.
    The pits are gone but the patio has been greatly improved, even has a misting system for those hot July afternoons. I recommend a pitcher of Blue Moon on the patio.

I remember the mechanical bull, I rode that thing a few times. Usually when I had enough liquid courage and complete loss of balance. I remember it was called DJ's Beer Garden. I was pretty involved with canyon racing on street bikes early in the 80's, we would go tear up and down Big Cottonwood and then hit DJ's on the way out. This was before the freeway and the access road when it was a two lane road to the mouth of the canyon.

Canyon Inn has changed its stripes somewhat. We used to go there every once and while and would place a bet on how long it would take before the band would play either "takin care of business" or "Sweet Home Alabama" it was a sure thing. Freebird was bonus points.

Sweet.... I've probably met you before. I was a big canyon racer in the late 70's and early 80's.... Big Cottonwood was really popular just after it was repaved about 81 or 82. At the time I was racing professionally for Yamaha and had access to some of the hottest bikes on the planet

Ever remember seeing a Yamaha TZ 750 or 125? If so, that was me.

Yeah... I forgot the DJ's name, that was after it was Demet's.

Ever remember seeing a Yamaha TZ 750 or 125? If so, that was me.
    Outta my league, TZ 750, thats impressive! At that time I was on a 80' KZ550 that I really wish I still had. That was a good time when Cafe Racer meant something and you built your own ride in your garage. I got to SLC in 84 and raced around town for few years. I did some racing with the USBA (?) in Wendover and at Bonneville but never completely caught the track bug. Speeds on the track scared the crap out of me!