Ashdown - ??
    Camp Creek (Kanarraville) - In thick but full of air
    Mush for Brains - dry as a bone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by climbinghalfdome
    Tanya,
    Bo seems like the go to guy for the area. Mt. Carmell is so close! I'm looking forward to getting area beta. Nice web site BTW. Looks like you took most of the photos. They look good.
    Have you been into Zion lately? Any ice? Guess I need to get up there and see what's what.
    Anyone else have local contact info?
    Kevin
    Roughly a year ago we attempted to save a dog from a canyon and had to be lowered 600'. When I looked up the canyon to its head, there was a VERY Large Icefall. I could only see the top couple hundred feet. Might be worth going to investigate. You'd have to ski or shoe in from the Ponderosa I would think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot

Re: Cedar City Ice Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by nieder
    As of 12/29/07

Hidden Haven (Parowan canyon) - All pitches in
    Cedarsickle - 5 feet long and thin
    Suicide Flows - thin
    Ashdown - ??
    Camp Creek (Kanarraville) - In thick but full of air
    Mush for Brains - dry as a bone
    Welcome to the Group! You must live somewhere here in Southern Utah? Cedar?

WHen are we going?

I'd like to invite all folks but especially Bo to track down this monster! I've got Monday off like most folks do. What do you say? Meet at the Thunderbird in Mt. Carmel @ 6 am? Who's in?
    Bo.. you can't say stuff like "I could only see the top couple hundred feet." and not expect to get my blood pumping. My tools are sharpened and screwes ready.
    Who's in?
    Nieder?
    Bo?
    Tanya?
    Jumar?
    trackrunner?
    At the very least lets ski in and get a look at it.
    Boy it was chilly this morning. The Ice at Moqui cave is in thicker today.
    Kevin
    A good mountaineer dies in his bed.
    I'm always looking for rock or ice route info and a partner.

Re: WHen are we going?

I'd like to invite all folks but especially Bo to track down this monster! I've got Monday off like most folks do. What do you say? Meet at the Thunderbird in Mt. Carmel @ 6 am? Who's in?
    Bo.. you can't say stuff like "I could only see the top couple hundred feet." and not expect to get my blood pumping. My tools are sharpened and screwes ready.
    Who's in?
    Nieder?
    Bo?
    Tanya?
    Jumar?
    trackrunner?
    Boy it was chilly this morning. The Ice at Moqui cave is in thicker today.
    Kevin
    I haven't found out yet if I'm working on Monday or not.

Bogley BigShot
    I don't do snow and ice. --- and rarely 6am in the winter for that matter.

But I have no problem staying in a warm car or home while you guys go our and freeze.

Our friend Courtney loves to climb.... not sure if he is into Ice though? You can find him here. It's also where Bo posts the most and we put up an invite for whatever we are hiking that week. You should come with us on Sunday. There should be some type of climbing involved. Courtney is really big into Peak Bagging and we are hooking up with him on Sunday.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/

What do you teach at the HS Jeff? Today is suppose to be REALLY cold!

Monday's adventure

Well I'm set and good to go. :2thumbs: I'd not like to go alone, so if the start time or place is a problem, chime in and adjustments can be made.

I noticed JUMAR lives in Lehi. That's quite a drive. I've got a ice partner that owns a motel here in Kanab, if you want to show up Sunday night I'm sure he can hook you up for the night. Email me directly if your thinking that direction.
    kevin_likes_to_climb_much@hotmail.com
    Kevin

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: WHen are we going?

I'd like to invite all folks trackrunner?
    kevin,

I'd like to but I just graduated from university, still looking for jobs, and just had my first born boy 16 days ago, so um, it would be irresponsible for me to blow off the job search. Plus I no longer have the proper gear to snow shoe or ski in, but might think there is not too much snow after my Water Canyon hike this past weekend.

sorry another time

Shaun

Monday's get away

So I guess thats one way to kill a thread, is to invite folks to join me on a trip. Well since no one wants to go on my trip, maybe I can invite myself on one of yours.
    I'm looking to get out and do something this Monday. I've got the day off and no one to get out with. I'm up for anything, yet I'd love to get on some ice.
    Any ice climbers in the St. George area?
    I guess beggers can't be choosers, so I'm up for anyhing.
    Oh, I slept in a snow cave/grave/dog house last night. The local scouts went up to Alton Utah and enjoyed the 3 feet of snow. I showed them how to cut snow blocks from the snow pack and how to build survival shelters.
    It was nice and warm and I think they had a good time.
    Kevin

Bogley BigShot
    Did you see this post to you Kevin? The 2 guys Bo mentions are great guys and Bo's usual climbing partners. If you get out with them you will enjoy it! They are animals! --- like Bo!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N.../message/44972

Mikel

Thanks a ton Tanya!

No I missed that post on the other site.
    Thanks for showing that to me.
    I hope that I can eventually get intouch with those guys.
    If you have their phone numbers maybe you could pass them along to me off this forum?
    I get about 30 emails a day from that other Zion_hiking_forum @yahoo
    I guess it got lost in all the other stuff that is discussed.
    I'm looking for more stuff like that Z-circle post that someone found. That is the good stuff.
    I'm going to stay close to Kanab tomorrow for lack of other stuff to do. I did find a new formation that is visible from the road across from the weigh station just North of Kanab. The aproach could be tricky because I'd have to cross Kane Creek or is it Kanab Creek? Anyway that makes 3 climbable formations with in 3 miles of each other on HWY 89. I can't believe that they are all 3 one of a kind chances of nature. I think there are many more ice formations around, its just not all are visible from the HWY. Its going to take a plane ride and or lots of hiking up each wash to find climbable water ice. If anyone knows where any is feel free to hit me with it.
    Kevin

Bogley BigShot

Re: Thanks a ton Tanya!

No I missed that post on the other site.
    Thanks for showing that to me.
    I hope that I can eventually get intouch with those guys.
    If you have their phone numbers maybe you could pass them along to me off this forum?
    I get about 30 emails a day from that other Zion_hiking_forum @yahoo
    I guess it got lost in all the other stuff that is discussed.
    I'm looking for more stuff like that Z-circle post that someone found. That is the good stuff.
    I'm going to stay close to Kanab tomorrow for lack of other stuff to do. I did find a new formation that is visible from the road across from the weigh station just North of Kanab. The aproach could be tricky because I'd have to cross Kane Creek or is it Kanab Creek? Anyway that makes 3 climbable formations with in 3 miles of each other on HWY 89. I can't believe that they are all 3 one of a kind chances of nature. I think there are many more ice formations around, its just not all are visible from the HWY. Its going to take a plane ride and or lots of hiking up each wash to find climbable water ice. If anyone knows where any is feel free to hit me with it.
    Kevin
    You don't have to take email there. I never have! You can just read the posts on the web just like you do in this group.

Should be Kanab Creek.

Those are Bo's buddies so it would have to be him that gets you their numbers, but he will probably catch this post.

Kanab Update

The Moqui formation is fatter than ever! I'm itchen to get on it again.
    I'm also looking to get into Zion to look for bigger stuff. I'm sure that there are some monsters there. I can't this weekend (my son's first B-day!) but I'd like to hear if there is anyone outhere who is looking to do some major ice climbing in Zion in early Feb Drop me a line.
    Kevin

Friday is the big day

A friend and I are planning on heading into the Englestead canyon area this Friday. We will get in as far as the VW will take us. Then ski/shoe into the entrances of the canyons. Maybe do a little climbing on Friday but we plan on spending most the day Saturday. Anyone who would like to join us, meet at the Thunderbird in Mt. Carmel @ 1pm ish I'll keep you posted.
    Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PorkYouPineFlow

The above was is a photo of the ice that Forms just 4 miles North of Kanab. Its in and wide and thick. I havn't been on it this week, but it is leadable and goes at a solid WI3+
    Tons of fun.
    I found out that the locals call it PorkYouPine and not Moqui Cave formation even though its just south and across from Moqui Cave.
    Kevin

Not yet

Ok this weekend is a no go for me. My partner had other plans of the Valentines Day persuasion. Guess I'm bumming a ride to Joes Valley.
    L8r
    Keivn

Re: Friday is the big day

Very nice! I'm very jealous.

Think that moqui route will last through the warmer weather this weekend?

Moqui Cave

I played all this morning on it. Its good, wide and fat. Totally leadable. It wasn't dripping because the upper section was under 2 feet of snow. Even with the high temps its still in. Folks don't know but it only gets 2-3 hours of sun between 8 am to 10:30 am. Temps during those times are still in the 20's.
    I think it will last well into next week, but time will tell.
    I'm looking for something to do tomorrow. Anyone?
    If I don't hear from anyone I'll do some sport climbing at Black rocks in St. George all day tomorrow.
    email me.