Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deep Southern Ice & partner

Kanab Area Update

Yesterday a group and I went in to Zion in search of Bo Becks Dog Rescue big ice. BUT the road wasn't plowed past Ponderosa Resort and the Snow was waste deep. We switched to plan B.
    We spent the day at the local ice in Kanab instead. Visible from Moqui Cave parking lot from Left to right this is whats in.
    WI5 15' collomn that starts in a tree. Named (Up a tree)
    WI2+ 65' steep ramp that finishes at a purple sling. Named (?)
    WI4 60' Real steep curtain of sky blue ice that has a little crazy top out. (Crazy top)
    Far Right
    WI5-6 30' pillared curtain just touched down. Looks hard and not leadable yet.
    PorkYouPine WI4- is previously pictured Ice flow 1/4 mile south of Moqui Cave parking lot. From the Base to the tree is 50 Meters and the top 10 meters are WI2. A group spent the day on it yesterday and left a 20' orange line dangling from the top so they could TR with a 70 Meter rope. I sunk a V thread (belay) just above the top lip 2 days ago to avoid the walk off. If your looking to set up a TR look to the South two gullies and you'll see a Green Fixed line you can Batman up.
    Thats it so for for Kanab's Ice report.
    Kevin
    A good mountaineer dies in his bed.
    I'm always looking for rock or ice route info and a partner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Do you have some photos that you could post for us Kevin!

Photos

As requested
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bogley BigShot
    Very Cool!!! Now for a close-up! We (okay I) want to know what you look like.

More!

PS... If you make the photos 630 pixel wide it won't mess up the columns on the group.

Thanks for the pics, looks cool! If I end up coming down there, I should get the beta from you.

Ice still good in Kanab?
    Can you PM me any beta you have for the ice down there? I won't know until the last minute if I can come down this weekend, but I'd like to.

PM?

The main PorkYouPine flow is in and has recovered from last weekends traffic. It was looking a little stepped out, but not any more. Still very leadable and tracks have been laid to the top if you want to TR it.
    The Moqui cave parking lot area to the North has seen some change this week. The WI5-6 have fallen however "Crazy top" and "up a tree" are still as fat as ever.
    If your in the area bring some sport and or Trad gear. We have a Crag just North of Town that hosts 12 or so climbs on sand. Right off HWY 89 just 1/4 mile South of the shooting range that is South of Moqui Cave. Look for chains on the chocolate brown sand stone on the East side of the road.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    www.door5.com
    Bunch of folks jumped on it last season, rumor has it.
    Jared and company called it, the "Z-cicle" or some such. Them kids have some horse power.
    Cheers,
    -Brian in SLC
    That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks
    http://picasaweb.google.com/jared.e....icicle20070120
    Looked pretty cool
    Its been confirmed that this is Englestead Canyon, but I think the next canyon over to the West hold even more according to Bo's map. I've decided to head that way this Saturday, before the heavy snow dump.
    Care to join me?
    Kevin

Long Time

Well I've gotten out Ice Climbing several times a week this season. FOr lack of a prtner, I'd rap down and climb out. BOY is Zion a great place for ICE. I spent all day in the park today. Found a new (new to me) line that was off the beaten path. It was nice to get on. WI 3+ to WI 4ish Coliflower fomed for a pitch with a big tree at the top for an anchor. Not many perfect days like today.

I drove into Kolob Canyon for the first time on Saturday and I totaly regret not getting in there sooner! There is so much Ice. I wish I'd a been there three weeks ago when Temps were colder. Now most of the stuff is gone. (not all)
    The short flow North of Kanab is still in and Good. BUT Day time temps are in the 50's. It would be good to climb in the Morning.
    I'm still looking for partners.
    I can lead WI 3 and follow about anything.
    Kevin
    kevin_likes_to_climb_much(at)hotmail(dot)com