Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deep Southern Ice & partner

Deep Southern Ice & partner

Howdy,
    I moved down to Kanab from Southern Idaho and I havn't given up on the ice yet. In fact I got out yesterday on the "Moqui Cave" formation. Its a nice WI 3 thats a full 50 meters. Its thin, but its in! The lower 1/2 must have had warmer rock which melted out the back two inches of ice leaving a detached shell that was 2-3 inches thick. Just like in sending a newly touched down pillar, less is more. Lots of hooking and standing. It felt like I was wearing climbing shoes more than crampons. Drive 5 miles North of Kanab on HWY 89, you can't miss it because its across from Moqui Cave. 90 second approach.
    I along with some other folk are doing more homework on Ice that forms in this area. I'm sure there is more stuff along HWY 89 from Kanab to Panguich. Zion shows good promise too and its only an hour north of Kanab.
    If you've got beta, or are looking for a partner drop me a line. I've always got Fridays, Saturday's and Holidays off.
    kevinhansen
    kevin_likes_to_climb_much@hotmail.com
    A good mountaineer dies in his bed.
    I'm always looking for rock or ice route info and a partner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't ever climbed down that way. It sounds like fun. Maybe I should drive down there one of these weekends from Lehi.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I haven't done any ice climbing but I do know people ice climb up Parrowan Canyon at a place called Benson Creek. I also believe there is some in Cedar Canyon. Hope that helps. If it were still in business you should have called the Mountain Shop in Cedar, some of those guys are big into ice climbing.

Cedar Canyon Beta

I'm sure that Ice forms up Cedar Canyon. (Assuming that its the one folks take from Cedar City to get to Brianhead). The Canyon walls are deeply insized and there is plenty of water running over the limestone. Has anyone been in there recently? What is in? Is there a topo guide for the area?
    Kevin

Bogley BigShot
    Hi Kevin...

Welcome to the group! I am in Mt. Carmel Jct. ... so we are close! My hiking partner, Bo Beck, runs Outdoor Outlet in St. George and therefore knows most of the local climbers and teaches climbing at Paragon as well.

http://www.paragonclimbing.com/parag...ness&bpg=staff

Post to him, email him or call him and I am sure he can line you up with some ice types.

http://bogley.com/forum/profile.php?...wprofile&u=195

[Hijack]
    Tanya you are changing your avatar everyday now? Waiting to see what you come up with next.

[/Hijack]

Bogley BigShot
    Because my moods don't usually change so fast. The avatar goes with my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Tanya you are changing your avatar everyday now? Waiting to see what you come up with next.
    Speaking of the avatar why are you crying. Is it because you didn't summit your peek this weekend. There will be other times & chances.

Found some more info thought it is not that good. Mostly rock climbing, but some ice climbing in the cedar area. It lists Hidden Haven and I believe that to be Benson Creek in Parawon Canyon. Good luck.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/...Utah&Submit=Go

Thanks so much!

Tanya,
    Bo seems like the go to guy for the area. Mt. Carmell is so close! I'm looking forward to getting area beta. Nice web site BTW. Looks like you took most of the photos. They look good.
    Have you been into Zion lately? Any ice? Guess I need to get up there and see what's what.
    Anyone else have local contact info?
    Kevin

Bogley BigShot

Re: Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by climbinghalfdome
    Tanya,
    Bo seems like the go to guy for the area. Mt. Carmell is so close! I'm looking forward to getting area beta. Nice web site BTW. Looks like you took most of the photos. They look good.
    Have you been into Zion lately? Any ice? Guess I need to get up there and see what's what.
    Anyone else have local contact info?
    Kevin
    ~laughing~ You are an ice addict!

Bo and I hike every week -- usually on Sunday because my daughter plays Bball and I like to watch and Bo often has to work... but still we do hike on Saturday's when all that works out.

Here is the trip report from yesterday.
    http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9981&start=0
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/

There was a bit of ice here and there. I can't say I saw any thing to climb though. There is usually some between Mt. Carmel Jct. and Kanab. I just drove that, but did not notice.

Iceaxe in the group --- as you can tell from his ID he is into ice climbing.
    http://bogley.com/forum/profile.php?...dda40409fa2323

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Speaking of the avatar why are you crying. Is it because you didn't summit your peek this weekend. There will be other times & chances.
    There is no reason in life to cry... except men.

Bogley BigShot

climbinghalfdome check this link to this thread out its by oldno7, Pine Creek in Zions. I asume it is upper Pine Creek, not lower, nor the slot canyon.
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9769

I forget which forum I saw it in, but I remember seeing a pic of ice in...I think it was Englestead canyon, right at the top? I'll have to see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    I forget which forum I saw it in, but I remember seeing a pic of ice in...I think it was Englestead canyon, right at the top? I'll have to see if I can find it.
    I have decended Englestead canyon and do not recall near the top a source to form good ice, it is mostly a flash flood carved canyon, not carved by springs or a stream. Though I could be wrong. If you do find it cool, I'd like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    I have decended Englestead canyon and do not recall near the top a source to form good ice, it is mostly a flash flood carved canyon, not carved by springs or a stream. Though I could be wrong. If you do find it cool, I'd like to see it.
    www.door5.com

Bunch of folks jumped on it last season, rumor has it.

Jared and company called it, the "Z-cicle" or some such. Them kids have some horse power.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    www.door5.com

Bunch of folks jumped on it last season, rumor has it.

Jared and company called it, the "Z-cicle" or some such. Them kids have some horse power.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC
    That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks

http://picasaweb.google.com/jared.e....icicle20070120

Looked pretty cool

Those pics are sweat. I looked at Tanya's website and there was a flow in the canyon. But when I went through I did experience the same tricle of water. Though I think I remeber some water seapage (sp?) down the water coarse, you don't rapperle down the water coarse on the first rappel.

Tanya's pic from her website:

My pic:

Bogley BigShot
    Dean Kurtz, in my photo is on the Kane County SAR team. They did a SAR in there (was it?) last year and he reported a BUNCH of ice. I would not want to climb that though! Scarey

http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5758