Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UUtah becomes Bogley

The name change doesn't bother me.... I was never fond of the name uutah....

As for the rest we'll just have to see.... being Utah centered is/was probably the forums biggest strength. But I also see it as a weakness depending on where you plan to go. I would hate to see this forum turn into just anther generic outdoor forum.

Expanding to western states is probably cool with me.... but I really have no interest in hiking the AT or gator hunting in Florida. Have to see where things head....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And what's up with not being able to log in with my current username and password on the new site?

Maybe it's just me.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Thanks for the feedback Tree. Glad you like the site, we like you too. On the subject of more content, more members and having to sift through it all. Well, this is a problem that we would love to have. However, it will take quite some time to for these types of things to occur.

As beech mentioned, we discussed this long before we even decided on a name. As I recall, he and I discussed it extensively during a trip to Moab back in October. Here is how it would shake out. Each forum section would have some sorting options. If you wanted to see everything, you would just browse like you normally would. But there would also be pulldown menus so you could drill down. We also talked about putting some check boxes in your profiles, so you could check just areas that you are interested in. The site would then only show you content from those areas. These are some preliminary ideas. Honestly the site will take its own shape and forecasting this can be difficult. Thanks again for the feedback.

LOAH, you should be able to login to bogley.com without problems. Try it again and PM me if you are having issues.

I guess I'm with the naysayers... there are plenty of outdoor related national forums... none I choose to be a member for a simple reason... Frankly I don't care to read about anything outside of Utah. Call me an elitist ass-hole, I'll agree.

Yeah, yeah I know I can filter, search localized forums, etc... but I'm a "New Posts" freak, I don't want to have to sort through a bunch of things that have nothing to do with Utah. I've left other forums that have "expanded", I don't like having to log in to 12 pages of new posts, by the time I'm done sorting through the ones I care to read there are several new pages.

Is Bogley a bad thing? Obviously not, your in the market to "go big", its all about going corporate... if your notions are otherwise I appologize, but if the money isn't bettier (ie. advertising, membership subs, etc), then why change it? You can't be the Walmart, and the Kirkhams too ;)

Another forum will step up and fill the void IMO, you'll likely find me there...

We also talked about putting some check boxes in your profiles, so you could check just areas that you are interested in. The site would then only show you content from those areas.
    As I stated above, you could select in your profile to only see only Utah content if your that ignorant. j/k

It is not about becoming "corporate" or whatever. It is about making more friends. . .

Quote Originally Posted by ExpUt
    Yeah, yeah I know I can filter, search localized forums, etc... but I'm a "New Posts" freak, I don't want to have to sort through a bunch of things that have nothing to do with Utah. I've left other forums that have "expanded", I don't like having to log in to 12 pages of new posts, by the time I'm done sorting through the ones I care to read there are several new pages.
    I'm with you there. I'm not interested in Bike trails in Oklahoma. What we mean by filter is it will be something you can set on your profile if you want to see only certain geographical topics. You won't see "Dock fishing in Florida" if it's posted.

On the other hand, I imagine Bogley.com will stay just like it is for a long time. Don't expect a flood of non relevant material to start pouring in, as this is only a name change right now, so this filter stuff may never even be relevant.

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Don't expect a flood of non relevant material to start pouring in, as this is only a name change right now, so this filter stuff may never even be relevant.
    Ha ha you forgot about me, didn't ya.....

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    Ha ha you forgot about me, didn't ya.....
    It's good to hear from you, ya piece of cow pie.

I just did some research, and of our top 300 posters, 52 of them are from outside of Utah.
    (unless there are more that don't say so in their profile)

When we were wondering if this name change would dilute the close Utah base, we started to realize that many of our valued members are already non Utahns. Prior to this though, we never confirmed how many.

I hope this shows how things will stay the same for quite a while even if we drop the Utah based forum name.

First, beech and acca you have done and are doing an awesome job with uutah. Second, for what it is worth I agree with your decision to rebrand the site. It's not easy to go down that road, but the payoff can be great. Third, everyone has to remember at the end of the day what makes uutah, bogley or what ever it is called, great, is YOU, your life, your ideas, your experiences, etc. Its a big world out there and you never know where one may end up. So BOGLEY on Keep sharing, keep living
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    As I stated above, you could select in your profile to only see only Utah content if your that ignorant. j/k
    No need to be kidding, I'm not... I am ignorant when it comes to traveling outside of Utah. Though I have spent alot of time in traveling, when it comes time for me to plan an outdoor related trip, I have zero interest in leaving the state. Each time I go somewhere new, I find 10 more places I would like to come back and visit. At this rate I'll be ready for destinations outside the state in 2050

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    It is not about becoming "corporate" or whatever. It is about making more friends. . .
    Cool and all... but I have plenty of freinds... and I don't make a habit of gaining them over the internet . (I kid, I've actually become close freinds with alot of freinds I've met on forums). I want to learn about Utah, Utah hikes, Utah springs, Utah climbs, Utah trails... Just Utah.

I too have mixed feelings about the changes. The name change seems counterproductive to me, because what makes this site excellent is the relatively narrow scope, focusing just on Utah. I also have no interest in other topics outside of Utah, and think the forum will lose its most significant quality, and that is a community of people who are all about Utah.

The argument that most of the main contributors are from outside of Utah is pretty silly, IMO. They live out of state, but they are on this forum because they love Utah.

Anyways, not sure what precipitated the changes, and I am curious to see what happens in the long run. To be quite honest, I kinda like what we have here as it is. Getting more members is a good thing. Expanding from just a Utah based site is not. I think changing the name will also drive people away, because the forum is no longer branded as a Utah forum, but some new obscure thing. I think the uutah name, though a little confusing in it's own right, has pretty decent name recognition. Bogley? A little too strange for me.

Anywho, just my two cents, not sure they are even worth that...

OK, I couldn't agree more that UTAH is a great place to play, live and work ( notice the order ). Infact after sleeping most of the day saturday from the jet lag of 20 hours in the air, my wife and I went skiing today for a couple of hours in the greatest snow on earth. Since Nov of last year when I started my new job I have been doing nothing but traveling and I can't think of a better place to come home to than UTAH. What about anybody form UUTAH that live in Utah and go, say biking in the pacific northwest, or skiing in alaska or white water on the colorado. is that not part of UUTAH. Or some one from Arizona, Oregon or Florida that comes to UTAH to enjoy any of the many wonderful things our home has to offer, are they not part of UUTAH. It's all about community. Its about the people and the love of life and the outdoors. It is what we make of it. It's not the name, IT IS THE PEOPLE. That's what makes this forum great. I am getting of my soap box now.
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!

boo
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

DickHead
    My $.02

I was invited back as a Utah escapee. I'll rarely be posting about Utah anymore, I'm 2200 miles away now.
    I doubt you're going to be inundated with non utah reports, except for by me.
    One idea would be to combine some of the lesser used subforums. For instance, the motor sports ones (motorcycle, 4x4, and ATV) could be combined. Some of the other ones could be combined up as well.
    Then, add subforums for out of state chatter and reports.
    You'd probably have less boards to go through, and the snooty patooty's wouldn't have to complain about non utah postings.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    boo
    Thanks for the support. It means a lot coming for a guy that has posted twice in the the last four months.

I visit about 6 forums on a regular basis and the only reason I come to this forum is because its Utah focused.
    Do you guys think that our out of state people come her to get more information for their future trips to Utah?

Bogley

I rarely post, but do stop in for the newest info occasionally. I'm not sure I understand the concept of changing to Bogley? Is it to stimulate participation from those from out of state? If so, what does the Title "Bogley" have to do with that stimulous? Is it some sort of targeting strategy? Forgive me for my "internet website naievity"!

I like it
    I dont think a name change can take this forum away from Utah, Canyoneering is the most active section and Utah has the best, Mountainbiking next and Utah rules, best snow/ski, best 4x4, best hiking, etc... I suppose i am a biased utah native I would welcome reports and pictures from anywhere but Utah still owns most of the topics in this forum.

Why not just make a site for each state? Or make bogley its own site and leave UUTAH. I am guessing that everyone that lives out of state posts here because they visit or want to visit Utah at some point, with the exception of JamisJockey.

I am with tree, summit and others in the hesitation to make it national. Of course my opinion isn't worth much. Will people still be posting their favorite canyon, hike, hotspring, etc still? I like to post the things that I do because everyone has treated me like a friend and I feel like I want to share my secret spot or awesome trip with my friends. If it is just a huge amount of people that I really don't care about I am more hesitant to let the secret out. I feel like this is a tight knit group and we all kindof know each other. I worry about that being lost.

Why do you care about getting info from out of staters that don't visit utah? Mabey the change will grow on me but I feel like it's not for UUTAHNS its for the cash. I know that you guys spend alot of time and money on this site and it only makes sense to get paid for it. I know that thanks don't pay the bills but thanks anyway.
    The man thong is wrong.