Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UUtah becomes Bogley

UUtah becomes Bogley

UUtah becomes Bogley - (bo-glee)

Friends,

Over the past 3 years UUtah has become the best place to get outdoor information in Utah. We have all experienced this; a user posts a question on the site and usually within an hour or so the question is answered. Not just a quick answer, but many suggestions and options are given. Often a lengthy discussion ensues and considerations for anything related to the question are listed and discussed further. In the end the question is answered far beyond the requesters expectations. It has been and continues to be a team effort. This website has so many friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and don't forget very witty characters. I really could ramble about each of you and how you help this process. But let me cut to the chase and leave out the kleenexes.

UUtah has grown from a small site among friends, to friends of friends, to an outdoor social networking site where information is freely shared and spread to a much larger audience. In order for the site to grow, the name "uutah" is not going to work beyond Utah and it doesn't work the best in Utah either. Here are a few reasons why:
    [list][*]Many people confuse the name with the University of Utah.[*]10 of 30 top members & moderators are from outside of Utah and there are countless others registered from out of state.[*]The name "uutah" discourages out of state people from joining the forum.[*]Our members who vacation or live outside of Utah don't feel comfortable sharing their experiences on the forum. Members often say, "I know that this isn't in Utah but. . ."[*]The community can

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ah dats Kule
    See you on the Trail

Go For It

Looks like some very positive changes and growth are coming. GO FOR IT.

MTpockets

wonderful, wonderful!

Great change guys! It gives me the warm fuzzies to have the name feel more welcoming to all. Thanks for thinking of this!

Dang.... and I was just about to post all the pictures from the uUtah wet t-shirt contest.... guess we'll need a redo in Bogley t-shirts.

Attached Images Attached Images  

They are reputed to live for the simple purpose of torturing young children
    If this is involved, then I'm all over it. Home is people, not an address. So long as you don't name the site bunnyhuggers.com then I'll keep coming back for more.

Great job!!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Looking forward to the changes. Are there going to be new t-shirts and bumper stickers and any other kind of swag? Now that i've relocated to Vernal i'll try to make a better effort in my contributions.
    Jim

CONGRATS ! Sounds like some progressive changes for you guys. Way to go!

Nothing wrong with UUTAH to me but I definetly know what you are talking about.
    Let me know if you need a Great Lakes Rep.

GOOD LUCK DOWN THAT WEB ROAD!

Andy
    Beatthetrain.com
    When the goin' get tough, put your shoulder to the wheel or just Beat the train
    www.Beatthetrain.com

www.myspace.com/Beatthetrain

Keep up the good work guys, I really like the new name & logo.

DITTO!!!

My post wnt through but I got the error message also.

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    I just got this error while trying to post
    We've selected a couple of members in whom we've become very annoyed with their content. Our plan is working.

Thanks for the positive feedback from everyone. We realized among all of the small improvements to come, this name change would be the big obstacle to start it off. We can all realize that no matter how good a plan is, there will always be somebody who doesn't like it.

The format will stay pretty much the same, except for little modifications that are long overdue; such as, the way photos are attached and uploaded, things like that.

For those of you who are worried about our small "Utah" community disappearing, not to worry. This is already a site with quite a few "non Utahns" posting valuable content and feedback, and that's exactly the way it will stay.

We just won't be discouraging new members with the Utah based name. Thanks again everybody, and to those of you who aren't quite as optimistic about this change, I'd like to address your concerns.

Nice changes fellas. With my impending move to Washington State, I hope to draw some fellow local citizens to help me find new areas to ride, hike and otherwise explore the great Pacific North West.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    DITTO!!!

My post went through but I got the error message also.
    The server has been working on sending out all the Bogley email announcements to nearly 12000 users today. This is causing a few minor hiccups. I usually do it in the middle of the night.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the kind words so far.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the kind words so far.
    Ginger and I say Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Any changes planned for the fishing section?

...Just wondering.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

OK, call me the naysayer, the doubter, the troublemaker, I'm not sure what word might fit best here. I dont do well with change, particularly when it's something I'm accustomed to and I like a lot. :-) I gotta admit that I like that this site has a primarily Utahn focus and am concerned that it will become a general outdoor site. Most of the out of state posters are people who vacation and recreate here so the info stays in the Utahn realm. Of course there are some posts that take us out of state and I enjoy them, but I can envision with thousands more posters from out of state that there will be so many posts to weed through to find info on Utah now. For example, if I want to find a great hike somewhere in Utah, will I have to go through 50 posts from 50 different states to find one here? Just wondering what you are envisioning with such a great influx of out of staters. Will there be a separate forum for out of state info? If UUtah becomes a generic, country-wide outdoor forum format which is kind of what I'm hearing), I see something much different than what we have now. I could be wrong - can you clarify your vision for me? Thanks.

As far as the logo, I think the Bogley idea is pretty cool, although I think it's a stretch from the outdoors. The little creature is creepy and I dont see anything in that logo that might suggest this is an outdoor site. I suppose that doesnt really matter, as it will become clearly apparent when people log on, but it's a little weird. (sorry, my opinion)

ANYWAY, I am not at all trying to be critical, just letting you know my initial reaction to it all. I'm sure I'll settle into it and it will be great. I must say that I truly appreciate that you have a vision and you go for it, not many people do that. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to put together something so great, like this site. You guys do an awesome job and it is appreciated by many, like me, who simple reap the beneifits of your hard work. Thanks.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    but I can envision with thousands more posters from out of state that there will be so many posts to weed through to find info on Utah now. For example, if I want to find a great hike somewhere in Utah, will I have to go through 50 posts from 50 different states to find one here?
    Your concern is likely shared by other people, and this is a major topic acca and I have worked on in these past several months.

We expect Utah and the western region to be the focus of the forum for quite a while longer. But we've also come up with a couple of alternatives if the site does grow larger than expected (geographically) that would let us filter the content that we aren't interested in.

Our close community that we've developed is VERY important to us, even with a great number of us who actually live outside of Utah, but visit often. But we really don't expect this to happen anytime soon. It's just good to change the name really.

We appreciate your feedback, and I want to let you know that we've spent a great deal of time focusing on this very subject.