Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunday Invite - Peak 6641 in Zion

You guys have way to much fun down there in Zion. Damn we are all snowed in up North. Keeps me going seeing all your trip reports.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    We did scramble over most of the rocks, the one that stopped us was possibly doable but penalty points meant a plunge. Will save that for warmer and/or drier conditions.

Hey guys - sorry to go all quiet there for a few days - I can't login to this site through firefox so I thought I'd try IE, and voila.

It's too bad you didn't make it to the top, but was probably fun anyway.

I looked through all of Tanya's suggestions in her PM, and a few stand out as things I'd like to do this weekend. Too many GOOD options really. I'm pretty torn between doing a multi-day backpack in the desert lowlands, or doing day hikes to several places, and crashing your Sunday hike.

Oh, and if THIS Sunday hike does entail harnesses - even better. Let me know when you guys have something figured out.
    Mike

Some photos from Sunday's hike
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    Hey guys - sorry to go all quiet there for a few days - I can't login to this site through firefox so I thought I'd try IE, and voila.

It's too bad you didn't make it to the top, but was probably fun anyway.

I looked through all of Tanya's suggestions in her PM, and a few stand out as things I'd like to do this weekend. Too many GOOD options really. I'm pretty torn between doing a multi-day backpack in the desert lowlands, or doing day hikes to several places, and crashing your Sunday hike.

Oh, and if THIS Sunday hike does entail harnesses - even better. Let me know when you guys have something figured out.
    We shall do that.... we usually wait until the weekend is close, to make sure we can both go, and to get a good idea of what the weather will be. Weather usually dictates where we will go. What backpack are you looking at?

Re: Sunday Invite - Peak 6641 in Zion

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    [
    Abstract more or less?!
    Bo, Excellent photo!

If I do a backpack, probably Coalpits, and try to tie it in to the Chinle. Is that even possible? I need to break out some maps...and be more decisive. Tanya? You want to plan my 3 days? Lol. Photography is the biggest thing for me in the backcountry for sure - just getting away from everything is second.

Some of your suggestions like Many Pools seem like cool options...weather looks kinda decent half the time.
    Mike

I've also considered doing stuff in one of the roadless wilderness desert areas like Red Cliffs, or some of the other ones at lower elevations. That's what brought my attention to Canaan Mt in the first place, and it looked like the coolest option out of all of them. If it's going to rain pretty good though, I'll want to plan on day stuff the whole time. If it's gonna come down, I'll probably just drive around Zion & get pics of the waterfalls the rain made, cause those are just awesome. I just need to get away right now. I don't care much what I'm doing.
    Mike

Bogley BigShot
    If I do a backpack, probably Coalpits, and try to tie it in to the Chinle. Is that even possible? I need to break out some maps...and be more decisive. Tanya? You want to plan my 3 days? Lol. Photography is the biggest thing for me in the backcountry for sure - just getting away from everything is second.

Some of your suggestions like Many Pools seem like cool options...weather looks kinda decent half the time.
    Sure. You can wander around Chinle, Coalpits, Scoggins and Huber during the same trip. Coalpits usually has water in it this time of year and is the most scenic of them all. It's not a great area for photography however. If you want great photography in Zion in the winter hang on the east side of the park - where bad weather makes the photos all the better.

Bogley BigShot
    I've also considered doing stuff in one of the roadless wilderness desert areas like Red Cliffs, or some of the other ones at lower elevations. That's what brought my attention to Canaan Mt in the first place, and it looked like the coolest option out of all of them. If it's going to rain pretty good though, I'll want to plan on day stuff the whole time. If it's gonna come down, I'll probably just drive around Zion & get pics of the waterfalls the rain made, cause those are just awesome. I just need to get away right now. I don't care much what I'm doing.

You could (if you can get down the road) start at Eagle Crags and hike up to Cannan Mountain. That way you can turn around if you run into deep snow. The other way you hit deep snow as soon as you summit and head down into the route leaving Water Canyon. Rain would make that a muddy mess however until you get on the slickrock of Cannan.

Things like Many Pools are spectacular in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

You could (if you can get down the road) start at Eagle Crags and hike up to Cannan Mountain. That way you can turn around if you run into deep snow. The other way you hit deep snow as soon as you summit and head down into the route leaving Water Canyon. Rain would make that a muddy mess however until you get on the slickrock of Cannan.

Things like Many Pools are spectacular in the rain!
    Sounds like good options!

Right now, I think if I do day hikes:
    Saturday: Water Canyon and/or Eagle Crags - depending on conditions
    Sunday: Your trip
    Monday: Many Pools + drive home.
    Mike

Bogley BigShot
    Bo! Pick something hard. Let's tire this youngster out.

Bo! Pick something hard. Let's tire this youngster out.
    BRING IT ON!!!!!
    Mike

Bogley BigShot
    Hey Mike....

Watch this thread. We are hooking up with Courtney on Sunday ... so whatever we do if Courtney is there we are probably going to the highest point on it. Peak Bagger Addict

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/

Hey Mike....

Watch this thread. We are hooking up with Courtney on Sunday ... so whatever we do if Courtney is there we are probably going to the highest point on it. Peak Bagger Addict

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/
    I was just getting ready to mention that Courtney and DB were back in town!

Bogley BigShot
    We are set....

Doing Deertrap from the Canyon Overlook Parking Lot. From the east side of the tunnel go past the larger parking area with the bathroom and drive east to the little one just past it.

Meet at 9am. Courtney and Bo usually get there early and I show up usually just at the cutoff time of 9am.

Not sure if a harness is still needed now!??!?!

Not sure if a harness is still needed now!??!?!
    Yes...bring a harness