Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Room Shootout: Farmington Bay

Yep. Both were shot here; http://greatsaltlakenaturecenter.org/homepage.html on Sunday and Monday Jan 6 & 7th. They tell me that more and more eagles will arrive between now and the middle of February. I wanna get back out there, so if anyone else wants to head out that way, let me know. I'd love some photography lessons from some of you pros...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hmmm....I might be game...but definitely not a pro!

Can you get pretty close to the areas the birds are perched?

I split these out of the album discussion, so we can keep that album focused on pictures.

That said, I'm definitely interested in getting together and photographing some eagles. Prime time at Farmington Bay is probably February. Anyone who's interested, let's get a date sketched in, and make it happen.

What kind of lens would you need to do that? Is there a place that rents lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    What kind of lens would you need to do that? Is there a place that rents lenses?
    Nah. The lens is easy. What I need is the store that rents talent.
    Life is Good

Lets all get out there and shoot. I made it out there in Feb of 05. I have a photo of the eagle tree with 21 eagles on it somewhere around here... It was an amazing day, ~200 bald eagles within a mile of each other, a few golden eagles too!

I wish I had a quality telephoto, may need to rent one from pictureline...

Alex, you shoulda stuck to Canon...

I've got a couple of pretty big lenses I'd be willing to let people use while we are out there, but they are canon mount. Nikon boys would probably need to call pictureline. But, my thoughts are if there is that many birds within a square mile, you can get by with a 300mm lens or so?

I'm definately down... I wanna get some better shots, but more importantly, I want advice from some of you guys on how to compose better pictures. How does the first weekend in Feb sound? Maybe the 2nd, and again on the 3rd? With 2 seperate days, more people can participate!

If you really wanna rent a lens, you can do that here: http://www.pictureline.com/cat/463/_...tby=&viewall=1
    They also rent out camera bodies, so anyone can get some gear for the day, and come out to play!

Pictureline comes off as a little pro-Canon, (at least to a Nikonian like me) but they're still the best thing around for photographers, and located in SLC

Are you with me waltny? You won't do it... you're scared

Yuck...all that canon stuff

Quote Originally Posted by hallkc
    I'm definately down... I wanna get some better shots, but more importantly, I want advice from some of you guys on how to compose better pictures. How does the first weekend in Feb sound? Maybe the 2nd, and again on the 3rd? With 2 seperate days, more people can participate!

If you really wanna rent a lens, you can do that here: http://www.pictureline.com/cat/463/_...tby=&viewall=1
    They also rent out camera bodies, so anyone can get some gear for the day, and come out to play!

Pictureline comes off as a little pro-Canon, (at least to a Nikonian like me) but they're still the best thing around for photographers, and located in SLC

Are you with me waltny? You won't do it... you're scared
    I suppose I wont, will I??? How about we go half's on that 2.8 80-200?

Ill be there adding to the Nikon camp. I got a sigma 70-300 D lens that is fairly sharp at F8 and it does allow you to get the little extra reach to get out there.

Alex, you will be a bit hard pressed to find some of the bigger lens fitting that 40x, should have just went with the D80 or D200....

What about you Jeffers?

Quote Originally Posted by rooster32
    Yuck...all that canon stuff
    Indeed....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Nah. The lens is easy. What I need is the store that rents talent.
    Its called photoshop....

D40 was 1/2 price of the D80 body only. Plus almost 1/2 the weight too. I have been happy with the D40, I suck at photography, so an idiot proof SLR works great for me.

Probably want to avoid doing in on Feb. 9th. The UDWR is holding an Eagle watching seminar on that day. They are actually doing it on the weekends prior, but at different locations.

I've rented from pictureline everytime I'm assigned to shoot local rsl games.

I've also discovered that Pixels photo & frame also rents out lenses and studio lights at a decent rate compared to pictureline.

I have been wanting to stop by the last week or so, I've been right there in Centerville, had my camera with me and everything, but never have had the time to stop. I stopped by a few times last year to see them also, but they were never there when I stopped by (between Jan and Feb) All I saw was a Perigrine Falcon (I think) and a hawk
    So I would definitely be game to meet y'all up there and shoot around. I think it would be pretty cool

Attached Images Attached Images  

Great shots Jiffers! I was out there yet again, and this time I got some shots with the water rippling around this great white egret...

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    New objective now someone go get a picture of Pink Floyd out on the Great Salt Lake. That would be a find because it is believed he may have died in the winter of 2005-2006.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595048200,00.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Salt_Lake