Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HDR, who is doing it? How?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Beautiful, I need to get up to the Uintahs this summer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

how do you guys get your file size down for posting to teh web ? cs3 gives me no .jpg option and my 600x400 image is still nearly 3 meg. what am i missing ?
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    how do you guys get your file size down for posting to teh web ? cs3 gives me no .jpg option and my 600x400 image is still nearly 3 meg. what am i missing ?
    are you using "save for web & devices"?

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    An uncompressed 600x400 pixel Photoshop TIFF document is only 700k, not anywhere close to 3MB. Are you sure you are counting pixels and not inches, mm, picas, etc?

I export everything from lightroom

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    I export everything from lightroom
    i looked at that and my only option is to export to adobe illustrator, which i do not have, even if that would be a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    An uncompressed 600x400 pixel Photoshop TIFF document is only 700k, not anywhere close to 3MB. Are you sure you are counting pixels and not inches, mm, picas, etc?
    no, file size is 2.7 meg.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    are you using "save for web & devices"?
    that was my first choice, but after editing my image and goign to save, "save for w&d" is grayed out and not an option. and "save as" (my only available option for saving the file) gives me the option's of -

photoshop - .psd, .pdd
    large document format - .psb
    openexr - .exr
    portable bit map - .pbm, .pgm, .ppm, .pnm, .pfm, .pam
    radiance - .hdr, .rgbe, .xyze
    and tiff

something is wrong, my other tiff files i can open with the windows photo gallery viewer, but not this one. also, and sometimes this happens but i can still open and view the image, but the thumbnail file is not the image itself, but the generic "palette" image. just recently our camcorder has not worked when plugging into the pc either to import video to edit. maybe i have a larger problem ? piece of shit ****ing technology. why can't we stil just use smoke signals or pigeons or something for communication ? that was so much more reliable.

thanks fo rthe feedback guys. i really am a dummy when it comes to technology.

just answered my own q i think. when doing my initial merge to hdr it was defaulted to 32 bit. i change that to 8 or 16 bit and my world once more makes sense. it edits different though, i get an auto pop up "hdr conversion" screen for initial edits w/ tabbed options. then i can go to my normal cs3 console options. i love technology, i was just kidding w/ all that pos stuff.
    signature

Oh, 32 bit! Of course!

HDR samples, tips and opinion

HDR software such as Photomatix can be a useful tool to address the issue of digital cameras not having enough dynamic range to capture details in highlight and shadow areas at the same time. The tone mapping function in Photomatix can further help bring out the detail, contrast and vibrance that you experienced when capturing the scene:

I've posted some tips on using Photomatix (www.HDRsoft.com) on my blog: http://activesole.blogspot.com/search?q=hdr

HDR can be a controversial technique because it can be difficult to handle proficiently and produce realistic results. Some users intentionally produce wild results and call that "art" but since it's difficult to determine where their influence begins or ends, it seems a stretch to grant those users much credit for the outcome.

A collection of my attempts, with varying degrees of success, can be found on my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=HDR&...0N00&s=int&z=t

After 2 years of using HDR/Photomatix as sparingly as possible, I have to conclude that it can be difficult to use but can be critical to producing the best possible results, or even to salvaging a useful result at all under the most extreme and difficult lighting conditions.

The best compromise may be to produce the best possible HDR and non-HDR results, then overlay the two in Photoshop layers and use layer masking to select or blend the best parts of each.

Jeff Sullivan
    www.MyPhotoGuides.com

Cedar Breaks

Still a rookie with this HDR process!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Cedar Breaks

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao
    Still a rookie with this HDR process!
    What program did you use to process?

photomatix 3 pro I think...
    Can I virtually tone map this for you?
    I would really need to see the RAW files but here is how I would tone map what I can see here.

Details enhancer...

Strength - 75-85ish
    Color Saturation - 56
    Micro Contrast - 10
    Smoothing Mode - High (around 5 if you are using 3.2 in non-light mode)

Tone settings -
    Black level - .033%(ish)
    Gamma around 1.22

Color settings -
    Temp - 0
    Saturation highlights - +2
    Saturation shadows - +1

Smoothing or Miscellaneous settings
    Micro Smoothing around 4 or 8
    all the reset set at 0

2nd Attempt

Cathedral Valley and Capitol Reef (I decided that I must begin using a tripod to do HDR, which on the bridge picture I didnt do!!!) Any suggestions. I noticed on the last picture the edges of the monoliths are very um I dont know the word but its a harsh transition from the tan monolith to the background behind them.

Re: 2nd Attempt

I noticed on the last picture the edges of the monoliths are very um I dont know the word but its a harsh transition from the tan monolith to the background behind them.
    Can I see the RAW files?

Um

Ya, about the raw files, I dont have them! Typically I shoot with the setting selected that saves a raw and jpeg, apparently I didnt select that setting. I hope to do some hiking/photography tomorrow so I will send you the raw...

Here are the latest...I have the RAW's so if you have any suggestions...I also did a little photoshop action...

I haven't posted anything for a while, but just got back a trip home. Thought I'd share a few of the many HDR images I created while there. I'm sure most of you will recognize these places but they are (respectively) Timpanogos-back side from Aspen Grove, Deer Creek Res looking down canyon towards Timp and Timpanogos-front side. Had some great lighting for these.

oh, yeah. These were all processed through Photomatix and then touched up in CS3. Each consists of 3 images (1 over exposed, 1 under exposes, 1 exposed correctly. Don't remember the tone mapping details.
    Leave No Trace

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum