Thread: Are you as smart as a chimp?

Are you as smart as a chimp?

Ayumu, a 7-year old chimp living in a lab at Kyoto University, was in the news the last month for his remarkable cognitive performance. In a test of working memory, Ayumu and 5 other chimpanzees were able to outclass college students. Watch him go at it here.

Have you got what it takes to outsmart a chimp? Pit your wits against Ayumu in the Chimp Game

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I got 6 correct -- the chimp beat me.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I really suck at this game. Poor chimp, what does that prove when you have a chimp in a lab doing the same thing every day, that you can teach a chimp to do anything over time.
    The man thong is wrong.

This damn chimp keeps kickin' my ass.

I got a 6 both times.

Thinking is hard.

Chimps are fun.

wow, very hard
    Attached Images Attached Images  

who's the monkey now?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    who's the monkey now?
    Dude, you tied and beat the Chimp?

Freaking prevert

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I tried it twice, but couldn't match Sombeech.

I can live with 8 out of 10.

At first I sucked, I had no idea the numbers would disappear after half a second.

If you just pick one spot to look at on the screen, your peripheral vision will pick it up for you. But if you're trying to move your eyes and note each number in that short time, that's what screws you.

He beat me before it even started!

At least he had high speed internet and could play the game! Dang! One of these days I'll get a fast connection so that I can play too!

Re: He beat me before it even started!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    At least he had high speed internet and could play the game! Dang! One of these days I'll get a fast connection so that I can play too!
    That gets me thinking, try to play this game on a PC that has very little RAM, or you have a ton of applications running like a complete virus scan.

That should slow down the PC to display the numbers longer.

Re: He beat me before it even started!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    That gets me thinking, try to play this game on a PC that has very little RAM, or you have a ton of applications running like a complete virus scan.

That should slow down the PC to display the numbers longer.
    Hmmmm? Maybe I should be patient with this 56k connection and give it a go! Oh well...maybe the connection isn't the key, but at least it's an excuse for not being able to try for now.

Joke or not, that's an interesting thought. I'm pretty sure, though, that the game is java so the system would simply load the java script and run it, regardless of the other items on your system or the speed of your internet. The only thing that would be affected is how long it would take to load the game and how long it would take for your click on each number to take affect.

What's sad is that even though it was a joke, my mind took it literally and worked through it... I feel like such a geek now...