Thread: Ankle Weights

Ankle Weights

I'm considering buying some ankle weights to help my knee heal. Would you guys suggest wearing them on both legs, or just my injured leg?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I used to train some with ankle weights to build speed for soccer. I found them to be rather hard on my knees and ankles. To this date, I wonder if they're at least partially responsible for my extremely tight right hamstring. I pulled it at about the same time and continued playing through minor but chronic hamstring injuries throughout that season.

I don't consider this advice, just experience. Hopefully, there's somebody here with more of a personal trainer type background.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

How much weight did you wear, what was your daily routine, and for how long?

I use to wear ankle weights when I was playing allot of b-ball until a trainer told me they are VERY bad for you. Of course this was years ago but I would still research it carefully before going that route. You might want to ask Dr. Bruce over at UMB and see what his experience has been.
    Are we there yet?

I'd get the PT or doc's OK with that first! It could do more harm than good.

Nahhh. Don't waste money on ankle weights. Just get a couple of neighbor kids to sit on your feet. Then you just walk around the block. I got a couple of kids I could lend to you.....and a couple of neighbor kids I could give to you.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    How much weight did you wear, what was your daily routine, and for how long?
    I believe they were only 3 lbs. each but it was a long long time ago. Depending upon which practice I was participating in I would either warm up wearing them for a few laps around the soccer or baseball field or run steps with them if it was a track and field day.

It was kinda pointless really. Soccer was not sanctioned so I couldn't letter in it. I never did score a point for the track team, and I was never once put on the roster for the baseball team either.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    I'd get the PT or doc's OK with that first! It could do more harm than good.
    I would definitely ask if would be good. Depending the level of reconstruction it could set you back.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

i think about 3 lbs each would be about right and only wear them while swimming. thats easier on the knee.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I've decided against them for the time being.