Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The lord steps in again for the cougars. . .

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    It's just that all of this "magic" talk and "lord" talk has got to quit.
    First off, it's clearly a joke. In fact, your own homeboy Scott brought it up. And what purpose is good smack if it doesn't get your rival's panties in a twist? The more the Utes cry about it, the louder the chants will be from Provo.

And I know you'd hate to ever give any credence to the fact that BYU carries the MWC, but it's true. At least partially. Not necessarily in terms of winning, but in terms of being a nationally recognized program. BYU is consistently on the national radar, and has been for more than twenty years. It's a known fact. While BYU is yet to bust the BCS, they have always been the most prominent "mid-major" team in America prior to the BCS, and they will also produce the most consistent threat of busting into the BCS in the future. Many teams will get their one'n'done, but BYU will be in the conversation multiple times, especially now that it appears Bronco has brought some consistency to the program. Now, if BYU could just get their act together and win a few out-of-conference games....

Anyways, I'm not sure why Utah fans get so angry about this. Your school has never been a football school. It's a basketball school. And your fan base shows it. Your football team will never be a "program" like BYU's, you simply don't have the money, or enough fans. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd bet BYU football brings in more than double the cash that Utah does (I may be wrong, but I'm sure it's substantial). BYU is consistently the ONLY athletic department not from a major conference who doesn't lose money with their athletic programs (there are only 11 others in the whole nation). Looking at it that way, it's a shame BYU isn't even better than they are...

There is no comparison between the two. Utah football has always been second fiddle to BYU. But when it comes to basketball... Any self-respecting fan would have to give the same credit to Utah's basketball team. BYU is historically second fiddle to Utah.

So yeah, when it comes to only one season of relevance, it's true. Just be glad that one season was on helluva season, one that rivals any season BYU has ever had in football. I personally cheered you guys on. As I see it, what's good for BYU is good for Utah, and vice-versa. But consistency is still King, and BYU has been there, done that, and has a national championship to prove it. That said, I really like beating you guys. Especially when it is only by God's grace.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excuse me... As I recall Utah is still ahead on the overall wins!

"BYU and Utah also have a long history in football, however the two schools disagree on exactly when the series started. BYU asserts that the series began in 1922, but Utah claims that it actually began in 1896 when BYU was known as the Brigham Young Academy (BYA). From 1896-1899, BYA and Utah played each other six times, with each school winning three games. Either way, Utah leads the football series: 52-33-4 or 49-30-4, depending on the way you look at it."

"Through most of its history, this rivalry was classified as mainly a basketball rivalry. Though the schools have regularly played each other in football since at least 1922, the football aspect (known as the

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    MWC Champs AGAIN. Ranked AGAIN.....too bad Alex "Small Hands" Smith can't come back and play for ya again.
    Do I sense a bitter cougar fan? Why would you crack with the Alex Smith reference I wonder?

BYU should go ahead and label this the "miracle season" and start selling DVD's.
    That would require me to actually have something to be bitter about..got any ideas, I'm coming up with nothing. Undefeated in the MWC again, beat the Yewts again....yeah I'm still looking for something to be bitter about. Maybe after Xmas I can be bitter about some gifts I don't end up getting, but when it comes to Cougar Football I'm set.

The Alex Smith reference was just to help you remember the only season your team ever really mattered.
    I am glad that your not bitter. Like you said, what do you have to be bitter about. Your team just handily beat a quality pack ten team.

Happy holidays!

Last twenty years are a push... due to BYU winning the past 2 (10-8 until then)

1988: Utah 57 - BYU 28
    1989: BYU 70 - Utah 31
    1990: BYU 45 - Utah 22
    1991: BYU 48 - Utah 17
    1992: BYU 31 - Utah 22
    1993: Utah 34 - BYU 31
    1994: Utah 34 - BYU 31
    1995: Utah 34 - BYU 17
    1996: BYU 37 - Utah 17
    1997: Utah 20 - BYU 14
    1998: BYU 26 - Utah 24
    1999: Utah 20 - BYU 17
    2000: BYU 34 - Utah 27
    2001: BYU 24 - Utah 21
    2002: Utah 13 - BYU 6
    2003: Utah 3 - BYU 0
    2004: Utah 52 - BYU 21
    2005: Utah 41 - BYU 34
    2006: BYU 33 - Utah 31
    2007: BYU 17 - Utah 10

The Alex Smith reference was just to help you remember the only season your team ever really mattered.

1. Utah
    2. Boise State
    3. Hawaii

Apparently BYU hasn't had a season that has mattered.
    HAHAHAHAHA. I'll take a National Championship over the Fiesta Bowl any day. If you want to live in the past we'll live in the past...or if you prefer the present, this year was just fine for us as well.

At least every year I know the BYU vs. Utah game will be good no matter how good or bad either team has done that year. Somehow Utah has more than risen to the occasion the last two years when expectations were all in favor of BYU.

MWC Champs AGAIN. Ranked AGAIN.....too bad Alex "Small Hands" Smith can't come back and play for ya again.
    Do I sense a bitter cougar fan? Why would you crack with the Alex Smith reference I wonder?

BYU should go ahead and label this the "miracle season" and start selling DVD's.
    That would require me to actually have something to be bitter about..got any ideas, I'm coming up with nothing. Undefeated in the MWC again, beat the Yewts again....yeah I'm still looking for something to be bitter about. Maybe after Xmas I can be bitter about some gifts I don't end up getting, but when it comes to Cougar Football I'm set.

I am glad that your not bitter. Like you said, what do you have to be bitter about. Your team just handily beat a quality pack ten team.

Happy holidays!
    I'm glad that "your" on top of things. Sorry, that use of "your" is a major pet peeve of mine.

No doubt we should have played UCLA better both times we played them, especially the first, although as a whole I honestly think we had a better showing the first time. We didn't get to play them at home either time though. We did take care of UNLV at least. How did that go for you guys?

Oh and feel free to mention Tulsa, another embarrassment for us this year. That one turned into a track meet. Not sure what was up with our D in that one, TERRIBLE.

As for comparing apples to apples....17-10

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    Last twenty years are a push... due to BYU winning the past 2 (10-8 until then)

1988: Utah 57 - BYU 28
    1989: BYU 70 - Utah 31
    1990: BYU 45 - Utah 22
    1991: BYU 48 - Utah 17
    1992: BYU 31 - Utah 22
    1993: Utah 34 - BYU 31
    1994: Utah 34 - BYU 31
    1995: Utah 34 - BYU 17
    1996: BYU 37 - Utah 17
    1997: Utah 20 - BYU 14
    1998: BYU 26 - Utah 24
    1999: Utah 20 - BYU 17
    2000: BYU 34 - Utah 27
    2001: BYU 24 - Utah 21
    2002: Utah 13 - BYU 6
    2003: Utah 3 - BYU 0
    2004: Utah 52 - BYU 21
    2005: Utah 41 - BYU 34
    2006: BYU 33 - Utah 31
    2007: BYU 17 - Utah 10
    Well then let's just discount the last 6 and call it 8-6 in favor of BYU. Fact is we won the last two, you won the 4 before that. You can't discount them because they were recent.

That 3-0 game in 2003 was one of the ugliest games I've ever seen in person. Not only was the weather terrible, but both teams looked terrible. Utah managed to put some points on the board at least.

It looks like he measures significant seasons by BCS births. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I measure significant seasons for the Yewts in that manner because they haven't had any other season of significance...I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like he measures significant seasons by BCS births. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I measure significant seasons for the Yewts in that manner because they haven't had any other season of significance...I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.
    My god can beat up your god.

Shouldn't be hard...I never claimed to have one. You don't have to be Mormon to go to BYU, nor do you have to believe in any God.

Shouldn't be hard...I never claimed to have one. You don't have to be Mormon to go to BYU, nor do you have to believe in any God.

Kick its ass Seabass!!!

Talk about tangents...

I won't get into this mindless As to the game itself, I am glad the defense had one final push and play in them. That last play was just about the only time the BYU line (on either side of the ball) won the battle of the line of scrimage. Ugly game. It certainly appeared that something motivated UCLA to play. They showed up ready and the Cougs did not. Disappointing to say the least. Drove me nuts to watch our line get blown away throughout the game. Oh and I am grateful Collie came to play. All in all, what a great rebuilding year! my hunch is that we in Cougarville may be setting our expectations a bit too high for next year. I am thinking we all may be setting ourselves up disappointment if we are not perfect and in a BCS bowl. As for UCLA, they will be back and ready to play again in September. We had better get the line back in the game and have a running attack. And we have lost some key defensive players.
    Life is Good

Not to bring this up again peeps. But I just found this picture and yes it is a JOKE.

That's an unfair use of the wing. Those things can get in your eyes, and boy do they sting.

Austin Collie's comment was typical of the self-righteous behavior I have encountered every time I venture to the 'Y' for the U/Y games. I may be LDS, but I'll root for Utah every time.
    Never pistol whip someone with your gun...that could mar the finish.

Out of the past 26 bowl games BYU has entered, they've won 8.
    Never pistol whip someone with your gun...that could mar the finish.