Thread: Alta, UT 12/21/07

Alta, UT 12/21/07

Day 13: Oh, hell yeah! Now that's what I'm talking about!

Another 30 inches of new snow overnight, and impeccable timing on openings. It just doesn't get any better.

I didn't get up there until 12:30, as work got in the way this morning. No matter, though, for Supreme opened around 1 p.m.:

On the first run off Supreme the Patrol had hinted that the lower gate into Supreme Bowl was open, so we buzzed down Challenger to the gate and...closed. Pissed off, but still satisfied we hit White Squaw instead. Great stuff!

On the second ride up, though, we spotted a patroller opening the top gate into Supreme Bowl for the very first time this season! Only five others passed through the gate ahead of us, and all five traversed right into Spiny Chutes:

We, of course, went left instead, where we scored absolute first tracks all the way down through Calf Rope (what I've always called Supreme Nose -- I finally learned the Patrol name for it today):

...to the flats at the bottom of Supreme. Completely untracked, completely divine:

We just kept lapping Supreme all the way to the end of the day. Skidog had been there since 9:30:

...so he cut out around 3:10. Pat and I kept going, riding Sugarloaf around 3:45 only to find the Germ Return closed due to the avi hazard on East Baldy. We thus skied all the way down to the transfer tow to head for a pitcher at GMD at 4 pm.

Tomorrow will be another good one, as Backside, Ballroom, Baldy Shoulder and Catherine's:

...remained closed all day due to avi risk. They'll surely open tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Devil's Castle come online soon, too. I, unfortunately, won't be able to get there until 11 a.m. at the earliest due to other obligations. Maybe, though, I'll get just as lucky with rope drops tomorrow.

A random skier beneath Supreme:

Yes, there really are cars buried beneath those mounds of snow in the Wildcat parking lot:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wish I had some grand entrance to this board but I don't. I actually just happened upon it a couple days ago but after looking around it looks like a good place to settle down for the winter. All I got to say is today kicked ass at Alta! Good to watch them drop the gate for the backside and ballroom/shoulder. MY LEGS HURT AND THE BEER TASTES GOOD! I didn't have an oppurtunity to pull out the camera but tomorrow is reserved for the kids so hopefully I'll bring some kids stoke next time I check in. Storms are lining up so got get sum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishwater
    I wish I had some grand entrance to this board but I don't.
    You just did. Welcome (although here I'm just a user like you).

All I got to say is today kicked ass at Alta! Good to watch them drop the gate for the backside and ballroom/shoulder.
    So I heard. Unfortunately I couldn't get up there today until noon-thirty, but there were still goods to be had in the afternoon:

http://www.uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9693

I didn't have an oppurtunity to pull out the camera but tomorrow is reserved for the kids so hopefully I'll bring some kids stoke next time I check in.
    Hope so -- we'd love to hear it.

I wish I had some grand entrance to this board but I don't. I actually just happened upon it a couple days ago but after looking around it looks like a good place to settle down for the winter. All I got to say is today kicked ass at Alta! Good to watch them drop the gate for the backside and ballroom/shoulder. MY LEGS HURT AND THE BEER TASTES GOOD! I didn't have an oppurtunity to pull out the camera but tomorrow is reserved for the kids so hopefully I'll bring some kids stoke next time I check in. Storms are lining up so got get sum!!!
    Welcome to the fold. Introduce yourself here: http://uutah.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

GREAT photos!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost