Thread: boltergeist?

boltergeist?

last sat. i was up in silver reef on my way to do yankee doodle, a canyon that I have not yet done. There was an older guy (50-60)in the road who told me that yankee doodle had water in it that was unavoidable and to wait. He also told me of a couple of other canyons out there though. skeer? and boltergeist? after searching the area, I have yet to find boltergeist. Does anyone know of this canyon? interested in doing it? thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Silver Reef-Boltergiest
    37N 14' 58", 113W 25' 52"
    It's really short... go down and exit up Water.
    Max rap approximately 165'

On of these days I plan to add some more of the Silver Reef canyons to Climb-Utah.

So many canyons.... so little time....

After more thought....

The other canyon you heard talk of was probably "Shear" as in Dick Shear who uncovered these slots.

Only beta I have on it is the max rap is about 170' and it's near Boltergiest where Water and Quail meet. I'm guessing it's the slot up Quail coming in from the north just above the confluence.

Good luck, and if you do these other slots please post some aditional beta. -Thanks

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: boltergeist?

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    last sat. i was up in silver reef on my way to do yankee doodle, a canyon that I have not yet done. There was an older guy (50-60)in the road who told me that yankee doodle had water in it that was unavoidable and to wait. He also told me of a couple of other canyons out there though. skeer? and boltergeist? after searching the area, I have yet to find boltergeist. Does anyone know of this canyon? interested in doing it? thanks.
    I did Yankee for the firt time this past November. It had water in it then at the pothole near the end. It is such a short canyon you won't be wet for a long time, if you don't mind being wet. Just leave a pair of dry cloths in the car or bring wet suit. Though with all the storms the water level must have risen so YMMV.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    After more thought....

The other canyon you heard talk of was probably "Shear" as in Dick Shear who uncovered these slots.

Only beta I have on it is the max rap is about 170' and it's near Boltergiest where Water and Quail meet. I'm guessing it's the slot up Quail coming in from the north just above the confluence.

Good luck, and if you do these other slots please post some aditional beta. -Thanks

I'll go do them if you wan't. I thought Silver Reef area may have some more canyons. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like there is a potential canyon in the area where Cottonwood Creek and Bitter Creek meet.

Yeah... this goes good with Dave P.'s post about looking for, finding and exploring slots.... There is some descent stuff in the Silver Reef area. Dick Shear's found most of the slots mentioned above by riding around thew area on his ATV.

I'd be happy to share a little more beta on the area... provided someone is serious about doing some leg work and then filling me in on what they uncover.

I also know Bo have done a few things in the area. I believe he once did Water/Quail from the road down to the campground if I remember correctly.

yeah from hiking around a bit last week, i'd imagine theres plenty of stuff out there, just not really mapped out. Shear canyon (as I was told) started next to the road about 4.5 miles (estimate) from the bridge towards yankee.
    Either way, I got some time off till school picks up again. I will probably try to do some exploring in that area the weekend of the 30-31, if your interested send me a message.