Thread: Software for ripping DVD

Software for ripping DVD

I just got a new computer at home and I want to rip movies and shows off DVD

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You need two free programs to make it work.

DVDShrink
    http://www.dvdshrink.org

This program will let you copy about 90% of the worlds DVD's to anther DVD or your harddrive. It strips out most copy protections.... orgianal DVD need to be compressed to fit on your standard 4.2 gb dvd and shrink also does this. DVDShrink works best if Nero is your burning software, but it will with all.

You will also need

DVDfab HD Decrypter
    http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

There are two versions... a pay and a free... the free will rip any DVD to your harddrive and strip out all copy protection.... the pay version just has a bunch of other whistles and bells you might one day find useful (like ripping DVD's to your ipod).

After stripping ANY dvd to your harddrive you can use DVDShrink on the files to copy them to a standard 4.2 gb DVD.

Good Luck

Alcohol 120% baby!!!!

Load up the virtual drive, no need for shrinkage/compression.

Here's link, but most good stuff doesnt work on a Mac, hope you didnt get one of those.

http://www.ed2k-it.com/viewtopic.php...ht=alcohol+120

*** Alcohol 120% enables you to make a duplicate back-up to recordable media of nearly all your expensive Game/Software/DVD titles, and/or an image that can be mounted and run from any one of Alcohol's virtual drives.
    *** No other software available enables you to create up to a staggering 31 virtual drives, allowing you to run your game images at over 200x faster than from a conventional CD-ROM. Alcohol 120% is a powerful utility that uses a unique combination of options to ensure a perfect back-up every time.
    *** All you need is a PC combined with a CD or a DVD burner. No more replacing your expensive original discs due to loss, theft, scratches, or other media imperfections. Your duplicate works just like the original; your entire collection can be archived and your investment protected.
    *** In the home: Have you had experiences with the common conditions of CDs/DVDs? They can easily get scratched, damaged, broken, lost or even stolen. Alcohol provides you with peace of mind and protects your investment.
    *** Your original games/program discs can be safely stored away. Alcohol-created images mean that you always have your expensive media stored safely on your hard drive for instant retrieval at the click of a button. No more searching for the correct game disc or software application install disc, everything is at your fingertips.
    *** You can now, for instance, simultaneously play your favourite game and bring up your route planner without having to eject and reload any physical discs, The 31 virtual drive ability of Alcohol means you can have the equivalent of a staggering 31 CD-ROM drives in your Home PC, all instantly accessible. You can simply and quickly run your Disc image at around 200 times faster than that of a conventional CD-ROM drive. If you need a program or CD it is immediately there - always ready to use!
    *** At the office: Program discs and many other applications generally require the original disc to be in the computer's CD-ROM drive. This restricts the amount of people in your office who can have access to the same software at the same time without the cost of additional discs. Alcohol's virtual drives resolve that problem for you. No more hunting around the offices for that elusive disc you need to run your application, everything you require is just a click away.
    *** With Alcohol you can store your CD images on your office server, your colleagues and employees at their respective networked workstations will never need to come asking for a CD again, they will not even require an expensive CD-ROM drive installed in their workstation PC! A simple click is all that is required for them to have full access to any disc image they require for their day to day work. Your valuable CDs can be safely kept under lock and key.
    *** Does your company have a promotional CD for it's customers? Original pressed discs are expensive, using the Alcohol 120% writing engine you can copy the original to inexpensive blank discs for distribution to your customers and keep your overheads down.
    *** Alcohol software offers unrivalled usage to people from all walks of life regardless of if you are a hardened game player, busy school teacher, salesman, IT manager, student etc. Alcohol has a niche in all your everyday computer needs. Let Alcohol help you to help yourselves and give you the peace of mind you deserve when it comes to expensive PC media.

P.S. If posting hacks are against policy, I apologize in advance to the mods.

If I read the Alcohol stuff correctly you can run it on a "virtual drive" but not burn it to a DVD I can take upstairs and watch on TV?

Correct.

If you wanted to view it on an outside source like a TV, then your way would be the best.

SO my bad... I thought he was wanting to show movies on his new laptop. Didn't see the "transfering to IPOD" part sorry.

And yeah if you're wanting to play on an ipod, who cares what the resolution is, so yeah shrink it way down. Go with Iceaxe's suggestion.

I've used a DVD Decrypter for years now. All of the DVDs will decrypt with it and copy to my PC, but it's becoming increasingly hard to burn a copy.

I'll have to look into this Alcohol 120%

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    but it's becoming increasingly hard to burn a copy.
    If the DVD is ripped to the HD you should then have no problem burning them back to disk. The most difficult part of the whole deal is the ripping because of copy protection.

AnyDVD from Slysoft takes most of the decription of a DVD and runs in the background. Slysoft also has a program to automatically convert video files for viewing on a portable device.

I found that running AnyDVD with even a regular program like Nero will open up the possibilities.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Oh one other thing about the alcohol.

it makes a perfect "backup" copy of the DVD/CD. It basically fools your computer into thinking you have the DVD/CD in the drive, only under letter "V", lets say. So it will play no problem on your machine, without the DVD/CD needed. So you can have as many movies there (on your machine) as you have room for. But because it is a perfect copy it will retain the copyright protection.

So if you do want to actually transfer it to another format, you will still need to remove the copyright protection, like others have mentioned.

That was the hardest thing for me to get my head around. But if you want to be a little tricky, you can then map the virtual drives to a networked computer. Lets say your pc running Windows XP media center, and have your entire DVD collection to play perfectly on your bigscreen TV, and everything at your fingertips, no DVD's required. I only have a 100GB HD so I'm limited, but I'm sure thats not a limitation for most people.

Or James could have his laptop go wireless to his PC and watch movies chilling on the couch.

So many possibilities.... Would be curious to hear what you guys end up doing. I'm just not a big fan of the IPOD cause the screen is so tiny. Laptop is "almost" as portable and far superior IMO.