Thread: Google Earth Files

Blog Entries

Google Earth Files

What do you people think about having a forum dedicated to Google Earth files?

IE. - I have a file that lists all Thermal Springs (above 68degrees F) in Utah (125+ i think) according to the National Geophysical Data Center.

I have another file with all of the arches listings in Utah.
    I am working an another file with all the mines in Utah.

and so on and so on.

I would love to share these files...just not sure where. But a dedicated forum would be awesome cause then others could share things too.
    But probably it would need to be password protected to keep the voyeurs out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Those sound awesome. I'd love to see them personally. In the past, they have been posted in the "Members Only" Forum, at the bottom of the main index page.

Ya Members Only section could use more private stuff

Ditto. I've got a Mountain Bike trails Google Earth file in the Members Only section with over 200 trails.

I would make a link in the regular forum, say hiking, saying you've got a complete list of all these arches. Then post a link in your post that points to another thread you've made in the Members Only section.

If a lurker really wants to see it, he'll have to register after being enticed by your teaser thread.

Blog Entries
    okay - that sounds good.

I could def use the biking trails...

I also just finished a file for Scuba Diving in Utah (with 4sites that are thermal and a handful of other ones too.

BUT question for ya google earth people.

I would like to create a placemark where I can click on say "Seabase" and it would show the user a picture of Seabase out in Tooele and a description of what it is, how much it costs, how warm the water is, list other websites, etc.... All I know how to do is create a bookmark that just saves the coordinates.

I wish there was a better manual out there. So MANY possibilities....

PS - and I got another file in the work that has nearly all the lakes in utah. But man...there is a lot of those (well...I suppose reservoirs count too). hehe and we are a desert too, go figure.

I did this same thing with the mtn bike trails. I added the gif image of the trail map in the balloon, so when the marker was hovered over, the map would appear, or any pictures I felt like putting in there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I did this same thing with the mtn bike trails. I added the gif image of the trail map in the balloon, so when the marker was hovered over, the map would appear, or any pictures I felt like putting in there.

yeah! exactly! so...what steps do I need to take to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    yeah! exactly! so...what steps do I need to take to do that?
    OK, it's basically just html tags. Here's the location of that file, by the way:
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6430

You just Right Click on the kmz marker and hit properties. In the body, you can enter the html tags, as shown below.

I added all of the uutah trip reports at the time, plus UMB's map. So if they want, they can even click on the links and it will take them to more pictures, or they can quickly get a view of the map.
    Attached Images Attached Images