Thread: Fluoride - I don't understand the controversy

Fluoride - I don't understand the controversy

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7727533?source=rss

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=148947

I have been confused on this issue (is it really an issue) of fluoridating the drinking water.

I guess I don't understand why so many people are against it - very emotionally, too.

Is it the cost for the taxpayers? If it is, I can understand, but this is never mentioned in the articles I read.

Why is this opposed so badly?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes, it is a real issue. The issue is that fluoride is toxic, and the positive effects hardly outweigh the potential negative effects. The main argument is that fluoride poisoning can lead to retardation, especially in children. It is similar to lead poisoning.

Has little to do with cost, more to do with people wanting the choice. If you want flouride treatments, do it on your own. Don't put it in the public water supply.

The list goes on... But I won't write more, since I know you hate long posts, reading sucks, and I don't have time to look up pictures to animate the arguments with.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Yes, it is a real issue. The issue is that fluoride is toxic, and the positive effects hardly outweigh the potential negative effects. The main argument is that fluoride poisoning can lead to retardation, especially in children. It is similar to lead poisoning.

Has little to do with cost, more to do with people wanting the choice. If you want flouride treatments, do it on your own. Don't put it in the public water supply.

The list goes on... But I won't write more, since I know you hate long posts, reading sucks, and I don't have time to look up pictures to animate the arguments with.
    Most people just assume that the fluoride in our water is calcium fluoride, which in low levels and topical application to the teeth does promote healthy teeth and protect them against plaque...

buuut theres no research supporting that the ingestion of it has any kind of positive effect on teeth. Furthermore...the fluoride thats in our water isn't even calcium fluoride... it's a mix of sodium fluoride, silicofluoride, and fluosilicic acid, and NO calcium fluoride...hm.

An overdose in any of these can lead to serious consequences and even death, such as dental fluorosis, liver damage, damage to the male reproductive system, joint stiffness and pain, ect.
    The list goes on and on.

German Chemists working under Hitler, also decided that fluoridation was a good idea.. a way of mass medicating prisoners in concentration camps, making them more docile and accepting of their fate.

So do your own research... believe what you want to believe.. but since I've done the research I haven't drank tap water once. Oh and boiling it only concentrates it more.
    : ) sarah shorb
    http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=14949
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

can you illustrate with oreos? i am still missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan

can you illustrate with oreos? i am still missing the point.
    Well, the more oreos you eat, the more fluoride you've gotta have. They should just dump it in the water supply like in Batman Begins.

Delivering drugs via the water supply is a bad idea, period. We can't control dosage, or the species that will be drugged.

There are any number of toothpastes that contain flouride if you want to use that substance on yourself or your family.

Just don't swallow more than normally used for brushing, and if you do, the warning on each tube tells you to call a Poison Control Center, which in itself is proof that flouride is not a benign substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    German Chemists working under Hitler, also decided that fluoridation was a good idea.. a way of mass medicating prisoners in concentration camps, making them more docile and accepting of their fate.
    1... 2... And 3!

Three posts is what it took before someone was calling someone else Hitler. Usually it takes much longer for a debate to get to such hyperbole.

I have no opinion on the subject of fluoride. Hitler/Nazi references in internet "debates" are just a pet peeve of my. Please don't take personal offence Randi.

James

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    Just don't swallow more than normally used for brushing, and if you do, the warning on each tube tells you to call a Poison Control Center, which in itself is proof that fluoride is not a benign substance.
    Well not exactly. In the land of Sue Everybody (United States) companies put all sorts of disclaimers on things to limit their liability. So just because there is a warning doesn

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Well not exactly. In the land of Sue Everybody (United States) companies put all sorts of disclaimers on things to limit their liability.
    James
    I hear ya', a good example would be the silly prop 65 cancer warnings required by Ca, that show up on all kinds of simple products.

But I still find it a bit insane to deliver drugs through the water, where are the studies showing flouride is safe for pets? Livestock? My fish pond? How about plants?

This is a serious question- Is flouride removed by filtration? Reverse osmosis?

For the record, I use flouride toothpaste, I have no problem with folks choosing to use certain drugs, it's the one-size-fits-all aspect of adding it to the water supply that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    I have no problem with folks choosing to use certain drugs, it's the one-size-fits-all aspect of adding it to the water supply that bothers me.
    Makes sence, I can respect that.

James

So, just curious. has anybody ever heard of someone getting sick over city provided fluoride in the water?

I mean, sure, if you guzzle it down, you may have the shits for a while. But the same thing happens with Chlorine. And you don't wanna know how much chlorine you're getting through your tap...

There are a lot of chemicals in our tap water. Fluoride would be regulated to a safe dose, just like MOST of everything else in there.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    1... 2... And 3!

Three posts is what it took before someone was calling someone else Hitler. Usually it takes much longer for a debate to get to such hyperbole.

I have no opinion on the subject of fluoride. Hitler/Nazi references in internet "debates" are just a pet peeve of my. Please don't take personal offence Randi.

James
    Why would I take personal offense?
    I didn't post that.
    My daughter Sarah posted it.
    I think she's trying to steal my identity.
    She has access to all my bank accounts, she has keys to my car, and now it looks like she's got access to my e-mail accounts as well!!!!
    Damn that vile child!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

"The nazi's had pieces of flare they made the Jews wear."
    The man thong is wrong.