Thread: Going to San Diego to watch Utes. Route questions/opinions.

Going to San Diego to watch Utes. Route questions/opinions.

I will be going to San Diego to watch the Utes. I was going to drive directly to San Diego on I-15, but coming back I was thinking of going through LA and then Death Valley by way of Lancaster. I was then thinking of going through Pahrump to Vegas - all in a day. I have never been to Southern California and was wondering if going through LA is a stupid idea. Maybe there is someone more familiar on here with the area that can give some good ideas. I basically am looking at a fun alternative from San Diego to Vegas. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area, but didn't see a section for "Road Trip"

Thanks - and GO UTES!!
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I lived in LA and depending on the time of the day, you could get stuck in some MAJOR traffic and spend hours just to drive a few miles to cross the LA basin. Plan the time of day to avoid rush hour. And yes there is rush hour on weekends too.
    Life is Good

The easiest thing to do is get in your car, turn on the ignition, make sure the garage door is securely shut and no one is home, apply pressure to the skinny pedal, and dream sweet dreams.

That's the only way that game will be enjoyable.

In your shoes, I would avoid LA, head out of SD on I-15, take the 395 (splits from I-15 in Hesperia) to Ridgecrest, and into DV from there.

If you can avoid it, for traffic reasons, do not travel I-15 southbound south of Vegas on a Sunday, and don't head out of SoCal northbound on a Friday.

Nephi to Cedar City is one big speed trap.

I used to live in San Diego and visit my family there about 6 times a year. So I drive it pretty often. Going in, like everyone says, avoid rush hour. You'll just sit in traffic and go no where 3:30 pm- 7pm. so go early or late. Also dont go really really late (1am on) I made that mistake once. They always do midnight construction and traffic will suck since they close down 5 lanes and only leave one open.

There is a pretty nice route if you take the 8 into arizona and work your way north, but its really not that fast. There is no traffic though, and its actually a nice drive.

Speedwise if I go at good times, I can get from St George to San Diego in 6 - 6 1/2 hours, depends on how many pit stops the wifey wants to make. If you hit bad traffic it will get exponentially longer of course. If you take the route through Arizona, it will take you 8 hours, but no stop and go action. So I would risk it and go 15 south all the way.

Do not take the 215 even though on the map it looks a lot shorter when going south. It's under construction and sucks soo bad its not even funny. But when going north and traffic is light, take the 215 on your way back, it will shave half hour off your trip.

Also if you can help it, stop for gas at the state line for Nevada, the gas prices are decent, but the next major place is a total and utter rip off because its the only place around for 50 miles in either direction. I forget the name of the place but it has this huge thermometer and is a total craphole. I'm sure someone else will know the name. But last time I was going through prices were $4.10 a gallon. But no other place around so you got no choice, hehe.

Anyways, good luck to ya! I think if you go at the right time the 15 should be great. I've always had a pleasant experience anyways.

Let us know how it goes.

Re: Going to San Diego to watch Utes. Route questions/opinio

Quote Originally Posted by brookiekiller
    I will be going to San Diego to watch the Utes. I was going to drive directly to San Diego on I-15, but coming back I was thinking of going through LA and then Death Valley by way of Lancaster. I was then thinking of going through Pahrump to Vegas - all in a day. I have never been to Southern California and was wondering if going through LA is a stupid idea. Maybe there is someone more familiar on here with the area that can give some good ideas. I basically am looking at a fun alternative from San Diego to Vegas.
    I-15 is pretty ruthlessly effective for getting between San Diego and Vegas. You could mix it up a bit, without gettin' full on jammed in traffic in the L.A. basin, if you wandered a bit east instead. Might I suggest a trip through Joshua Tree National Park. Then due north from there through some pretty neat scenery (ie through the Mojave National Preserve). What's that route called, the Nipton cut-across or some such? Top off your gas tank, to be sure.

I've been to Lancaster a bit, and, unless you're into desert test ranges...

I'd say a commute through L.A. isn't hugely bad as long as you avoid rush hour especially on very crowded freeways such as the 405, which, you should be able to avoid if you head towards Lancaster.

In L.A. right now....in fact...watched the sun set on Redondo Beach...neat-o...and, uhh, they have happy hour here...

-Brian in SLC

Thanks for all the comments - I will keep all ideas in mind and hopefully have a great trip. If the football game is lousy, at least I will be out of the winter for a few days.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

You could go watch the kitties play the 6-6 coach-less bruins in sin city. Guess they got strippers there. . .okay they win.