Thread: Alcatraz and MF Robbers Roost videos

Alcatraz and MF Robbers Roost videos

Went down to the Roost about a month ago with Hermine (my wife) and friends from France Aurelie, Giles and Anne Marie. Aurelie and Giles took videos which Aurelie put on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpa6W_LwOSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pjqbGimX-U
    nat smale

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice videos. That is nice of that person to help the other two in the pothole so they don't get wet. The road at the end of the second vid seems neverending
    The man thong is wrong.

spy music in the tight portion was very fitting. and you hang out w/ much nicer people than me, i have NEVER been offered a piggy back ride across water.
    signature

Thanks for sharing, looks like it was a fun trip. The scenery is great to see at this colder time of year.

Jason, next time we go through a canyon together don't expect a piggy back ride from me.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Those were fun videos. I haven't done either of those canyons. I have passed Alcatraz I don't know how many times doing the Larry thing but have never had the right group for it. And North Fork is nothing short of spectacular. Didn't look too technical??? I better get out the books and take another peak that that one. Thanks for posting.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Those were fun videos. I haven't done either of those canyons. I have passed Alcatraz I don't know how many times doing the Larry thing but have never had the right group for it. And North Fork is nothing short of spectacular. Didn't look too technical??? I better get out the books and take another peak that that one. Thanks for posting.
    North Fork was the first technical canyon I ever did... Few years back. It's a goodie. Hardest part of the canyon is the crack exit, which it looks like Nat and Crew used to get back up to the car shuttle.

Great videos, btw!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Alcatraz and MF Robbers Roost videos

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    Went down to the Roost about a month ago with Hermine (my wife) and friends from France Aurelie, Giles and Anne Marie. Aurelie and Giles took videos which Aurelie put on youtube.
    Fun videos, fun music.

Nice helmets ----- NOT!

Oh right, Nat is the guy that never falls or has rock fall on him, and his friends and wife share the same blessing.

Tom (obligatory helmet police commentary)

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Nice helmets ----- NOT!
    I am crying. If you read that in a Borat voice it makes it funny, or it might just be me. Have you been taking joke classes Tom?

sorry. I don't mean to take away from the seriousness of wearing a helmet.
    The man thong is wrong.

Very nice, thanks for posting, and Nat, you can always get Tom back by referencing my freezefest video on Google Video. Tom stemming in upper stair with his ultra protective blue beanie. The truck was safe though, nice sturdy helmet to keep it protected. (Sorry Tom, I couldn't resist.)

I have passed Alcatraz I don't know how many times doing the Larry thing but have never had the right group for it. And North Fork is nothing short of spectacular. Didn't look too technical???
    Scott, Alcatraz is a MUST DO. In my opinion, the best slot in the Roost by a pretty good margin (with Larry being a good although distant second along with Chambers). It is a bit stiffer than Larry. My group totally enjoyed it, but were definitely ready for something easier the next day, thus the choice of North Fork over Larry (our original choice) for day 2. North Fork is also very good, an excellent "easy slot". Very scenic, not very technical, pretty mellow, the hardest part being (as Dan mentioned) the exit, which isn't too bad. I have to say, each time I do both of these, they seem better than I remember.

One thing I noticed in Alcatraz, and am curious if anyone else has noticed this recently, is that in past descents, there was always a difficult downclimb/handline/short rap in the open jumble of boulders below the slot. Seems to be completely gone. I assume rearranged from the storms of October 2006.
    nat smale

Quote Originally Posted by nat
    Scott, Alcatraz is a MUST DO. In my opinion, the best slot in the Roost by a pretty good margin (with Larry being a good although distant second along with Chambers). It is a bit stiffer than Larry. My group totally enjoyed it, but were definitely ready for something easier the next day, thus the choice of North Fork over Larry (our original choice) for day 2. North Fork is also very good, an excellent "easy slot". Very scenic, not very technical, pretty mellow, the hardest part being (as Dan mentioned) the exit, which isn't too bad. I have to say, each time I do both of these, they seem better than I remember.

One thing I noticed in Alcatraz, and am curious if anyone else has noticed this recently, is that in past descents, there was always a difficult downclimb/handline/short rap in the open jumble of boulders below the slot. Seems to be completely gone. I assume rearranged from the storms of October 2006.
    Thanks for the info. Oh baby. If Larry is a distant second, Alcatraz just jumped several notches on the priority list. Your video really made me want to get in there. The reason I have never done it is that I seem to always be taking new folks (as in never been in a technical canyon before) through Larry. Alcatraz looks a little stiff to take newbies through. I just need to get my group of regulars and just go do it.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Oh right, Nat is the guy that never falls or has rock fall on him,

Tom (obligatory helmet police commentary)
    That's me

Actually, I do wear a helmet sometimes; always, when in a high stemming, R to X rated slots. This time, since I only have one helmet, and there were 5 of us... Not to stir the hornets nest, but on the easier canyons, I guess it is a calculated risk for me. Most of us decide not to wear a helmet when we drive to work, walk down the icy sidewalk in front of our house in winter, or when we hike down non-technical canyons like Zion Narrows, Little Wild Horse or Crack Canyon. It would be safer to wear a helmet under such circumstances, but we generally take the calculated risk and leave it at home. I think that in a number of technical slots, I am as likely to get a head injury, as in the above pursuits. I have taken some hard hits slipping on my sidewalk. When I was a kid, I even knew another kid who died (from a head injury) tripping on the curb. Frankly, I think that I am as likely to get a head injury hiking down the Zion Narrows, slipping on a bowling ball type boulder, as descending Pine Creek. A few years ago, while backpacking down Deep Creek in Zion with family and Stefan, I took I huge spill, feet flying in front of me, landing flat on my back. I probably would have had a bad head injury if I hadn't been carrying a large pack that protruded above my head. Sure, it would be safer to wear a helmet when hiking the Zion Narrows, or driving to work, or descending Keyhole.

Anyway, to appease the helmet police, I do recommend wearing one.
    nat smale

kind of sounds like some old pink floyd there whats that song at the beginning? Let there be more light....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-p...am_wma_001_001
    -Rob

Oh baby. If Larry is a distant second, Alcatraz just jumped several notches on the priority list.
    Alcatraz rocks, I could do laps on it and never get tired of it. Probably would make my top ten list. Right up there with Hard Day Harvey and Pandora's Box on my list of favorite tight slots. Only bad thing about it is it's too short. I'm always dissapointed that it's over once I hit the end.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125

Alcatraz rocks, I could do laps on it and never get tired of it. Probably would make my top ten list. Right up there with Hard Day Harvey and Pandora's Box on my list of favorite tight slots. Only bad thing about it is it's too short. I'm always dissapointed that it's over once I hit the end.

Eric.
    I agree. Alcatraz is awesome. However, each time I do it, the canyon gets shorter and the return hike gets longer...

Nat, the rap/dc in the boulders after the slot was gone before the storm of 2006. Some more rock fell from the right LDC and now it's an easy boulder hop.