Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Now, a question about XD cards, do they fit in the SD slot? Will everybody just quit coming out with new format shit and let us catch up on our possessions for a bit? hell.
    Unfortunately, xd and sd aren't compatible. I don't understand why everyone hasn't fully adopted the sd format, since xd is so much less common, and sd cards are cheaper... Lame, indeed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's like Blu Ray. Hell. Sure, it's the bomb, highest quality you've ever seen, they basically hand you the movie script and you act it out as you watch it, that's how realistic it is, yadda yadda yadda....

So you'll go buy it, brag it up, then in 3 years something else will be out because the color of yellow showed up better with BeechVision.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...603692723510&q

This video was shot with the Sony housing, no issues with sound. If you watch long enough you will hear sound clips from the camera (even when we are not in the canyon, ALL filming was done with the camera in the case). I have the raw footage on my computer, if you want I can upload some of that so you can get an idea how it sounds without background music. There is a plug on the side of the camera that hooks to an external mic on the front of the case, so sound quality is not diminished. (keep in mind that Google downgrades the bitrate on their online videos so the actual footage on my computer sounds better). Sand kills camcorders almost as fast as water so the case is pretty much essential even when not in wet canyons.
    Thanks Eric,

I'm thinking I might try the Xacti. I agree the sand is destructive; however with a waterproof camera; you can just run it under the faucet. Worked for my current camera for many years. I'll still research camcorders with cases though. If yours has an external mic, then that's a good thing...

Thanks to all for the info. Keep it coming if you have more.

Beech; yep, that's life. I have tons of old tech, outdated and useless...

Xacti isn't waterproof is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Xacti isn't waterproof is it?
    Yes, the Xacti E1 is. See the original post...

Bump.

AJ, did you decide on anything?

I'm still looking at the Stylus 790, but I'm trying to find out if there is a time limit per movie. Some cameras will stop recording after 1 minute, or a certain memory limit is reached.

I want to completely avoid those limits, and just keep shooting until my 2GB card is filled. So far, the reviews say it will keep going until the xD card is filled, but I want to be sure.

The latest olympus waterproof cameras have 10 second limit at 640x480 @ 30fps

Bogley BigShot
    What does 10 second limit mean? I would like to pick up a little pocket sized camera to take when I don't want to lug my big one around.

The movie length that the camera would record is limited to 10 seconds only (at higher res) at lower res, I believe it's memory limited

The latest olympus waterproof cameras have 10 second limit at 640x480 @ 30fps

This review of the Stylus sez it will film for the entire card capacity. Is that wrong?

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...+stylus+790+sw

[quote]Movie Mode

The 790 SW's fairly standard movie mode permits users to capture 640x480 video clips (with mono audio) at 30fps

[quote=Alex][quote]Movie Mode

The 790 SW's fairly standard movie mode permits users to capture 640x480 video clips (with mono audio) at 30fps

Nope; got bumped in priority by much higher stuff. I looked into some cameras, and was leaning towards a video camera since my next project involves video.

I use an Olympus Stylus 410 and it takes decent shots; not very good in low light, and is limited to 20 seconds at 320x240 movies. I remember all the movie modes on water-resistant cameras that I looked at all left something to be desired.

Pretty much came to the conclusion that others have stated. If you are wanting to do pics, get a camera. If you are wanting video, get a video camera.

Some of the Kodak (and other brand) cameras can shoot decent video; however, they aren't weather resistant, and you lose the mic if you get a waterproof housing...

Good luck; let me know if you find anything different...

Take care,
    A.J.

Bogley BigShot
    The movie length that the camera would record is limited to 10 seconds only (at higher res) at lower res, I believe it's memory limited

Oh... I never do movies! --- so would not need that. I do have a great new movie camera though that uses a computer disc. That might be fun to tote along in a canyon. I would have to get you and Beech to show me how to put the files on the computer though.

Bogley BigShot
    We just got the 3.1 mp panasonic HDD - 3CCD movie camera. It has a couple of wrestling matches on it but have not watched them yet. One of these days I should take it through a canyon and record stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    I use an Olympus Stylus 410 and it takes decent shots; not very good in low light, and is limited to 20 seconds at 320x240 movies. I remember all the movie modes on water-resistant cameras that I looked at all left something to be desired.
    The Stylus 790 is saying 640 x 480 30fps, but I'm still trying to find out fer sure about the video filming length, whether it shuts off at a certain time frame or not.

If it doesn't automatically stop the film, I think that's the one I'll get, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    The Stylus 790 is saying 640 x 480 30fps, but I'm still trying to find out fer sure about the video filming length, whether it shuts off at a certain time frame or not.

If it doesn't automatically stop the film, I think that's the one I'll get, and soon.
    I've got the Stylus 790 and have had it since January.

To help answer your question I grabbed it and used the video function for the first time. As soon as I turned the dial to the video mode I was given a number of 41:41, which I assumed was how much length of time I was able to record. As soon as I started recording the time adjusted to 28:XX and started to count down from 28:XX. I filmed for 30 seconds. Without digging into the manual this is what I assume. The 41:41 is the time I would have with an empty 1GB card. There were 35 pictures on the camera so I'm guessing that's why it dropped down to 28:XX minutes once I started to record. If you didn't catch it I'm using a 1GB card.

So far I like the camera. I got it to primarily take fishing. I've also taken it snowboarding. While out fishing I tried out the waterproof feature, the camera still works. While out snowboarding it wasn't really cold, maybe 35 degrees, it was in my pocket next to my leg. When I pulled it out it was ready to take a picture. I have dropped it (not on purpose) and it still works fine. It has a screen larger than I have had on older cameras so to me it's a large screen. I like the small size of the camera which makes it great for sticking in a pocket or attaching to my fishing bag so I can use it very quickly.

So far I like the camera and the cool orange one I got makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    As soon as I started recording the time adjusted to 28:XX and started to count down from 28:XX. I filmed for 30 seconds.
    Nice, that's what I had hoped.

Now do me a favor and fill your entire card with 1 video for me, just to be sure.

Alex just mentioned the 1030 to me, it has a wide angle lens. I'll check that one out too.

Thanks again icthys.

itchy, as all reviews I have seen, you didn't answer the critical question:

What is the duration of the video at 640x480@30fps?

As I stated above, anything in other resolution specs is memory length (640x480@15fps, 340x240@30fps, etc), but not the highest res and fps.

Can you check that please and repost the finding?

Thanks

itchy, as all reviews I have seen, you didn't answer the critical question:

What is the duration of the video at 640x480@30fps?

As I stated above, anything in other resolution specs is memory length (640x480@15fps, 340x240@30fps, etc), but not the highest res and fps.

Can you check that please and repost the finding?

Thanks
    Good catch. I was just trying to get a quick review for beech and didn't think about the resolution.

I switched to 640x480 and sure enough I could only record for 10 seconds. Does that answer the critical question?