Thread: any room for Noobs?

any room for Noobs?

I'd really like to get some canyoneering trips under my belt, and am wondering if any of you have any trips planned in the next few months where there's room for one more. I have some climbing and rappelling experience, and plenty of desert hiking experience. I've done quite a few non-tech canyons, have done plenty of down-climbing, technical scrambling, etc. I have some gear - harness, atc,etc... and am more than happy to be the rope grunt if I can work my way into someone's trip.

Since my normal desert buddy, summit42, has a deathly fear of cold and/or dirt water, I'm thinking I'm going to have to try and find some other folks that wouldn't mind me tagging along. Best case scenario would be a free seat in a car coming from slc or u.c., but I can provide my own transportation if need.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Most of the trips I go on are posted here in the forums, once you see a trip just commit to it and show up. Nothing is worse than a noobie committing and canceling at the last minute

Any group could use a rope carrier

But before you are invited you have to pass rockgremlins test!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Hmmmm...if you wanna go with us, you have to pass this canyoneering quiz:

1) Who is the Emperor?

2) Your anchor fails while you are on rappel. You are 95 feet from the canyon bottom, there is no wind, and it is a free-hanging rappel. What is your velocity when you strike the canyon bottom? (in feet/second)

3) How many slot canyons are featured on Climb-Utah.com?

4) If Jane tramples twice as much cryptobiotic soil as Susan, but not half as much as Jason, how much more cryptobiotic soil will she have to trample before the NPS closes public access to the Fiery Furnace?

5) What cheese goes best with apricot hefe-weizen?

This quiz must be completed in 20 minutes. I'm timing you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Or someone to bring the after canyon beer.

Most of the trips I go on are posted here in the forums, once you see a trip just commit to it and show up. Nothing is worse than a noobie committing and canceling at the last minute

1) Who is the Emperor?

2) Your anchor fails while you are on rappel. You are 95 feet from the canyon bottom, there is no wind, and it is a free-hanging rappel. What is your velocity when you strike the canyon bottom? (in feet/second)

3) How many slot canyons are featured on Climb-Utah.com?

4) If Jane tramples twice as much cryptobiotic soil as Susan, but not half as much as Jason, how much more cryptobiotic soil will she have to trample before the NPS closes public access to the Fiery Furnace?

5) What cheese goes best with apricot hefe-weizen?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Hey! That's how I got into the group, don't be giving away my tricks.

Speaking of a next one... Shane?

1) Who is the Emperor? Even monkey's know that's Tom

2) Your anchor fails while you are on rappel. You are 95 feet from the canyon bottom, there is no wind, and it is a free-hanging rappel. What is your velocity when you strike the canyon bottom? (in feet/second) mm. since maths not my strong suit, I'll say fast enough that fps isn't my first concern?

3) How many slot canyons are featured on Climb-Utah.com? c'mon - even I'm not that bored.

4) If Jane tramples twice as much cryptobiotic soil as Susan, but not half as much as Jason, how much more cryptobiotic soil will she have to trample before the NPS closes public access to the Fiery Furnace? who cares, they'll pave it in a year anyhow, right?

5) What cheese goes best with apricot hefe-weizen? The real question is who the hell put fruit in your beer in the first place...

Good luck!

Thanks guys - I appreciate the responses. Alex, I'll keep an eye out for your posts, but keep me in mind. I don't like to "horn in" on people's trips, I'd rather know that they are comfortable with me tagging along.

Just for fun, I completed the quiz...

Like pony keg or party pig?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Like pony keg or party pig?
    I'm not familar with the term "party pig"... unless this is what you mean....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm usually in need of partners and if you don't mind meeting a strange man in the middle of nowhere, I'll let you know next time I'm on the lookout, I usually post a "partner hunt" thread when I'm desperate.

I'm not familar with the term "party pig"

This is the best small tap system on the market. It holds 2.25 gallons of beer, it needs no CO2, fits on a refrigerator shelf, and unlike 5-liter cans, it is meant to be reused over and over

So where do you get the beer to fill the party pig?
    Growlers?
    Home Brew?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha
    I'm usually in need of partners and if you don't mind meeting a strange man in the middle of nowhere, I'll let you know next time I'm on the lookout, I usually post a "partner hunt" thread when I'm desperate.
    That would be awesome. definately let me know next time you are heading out.

Speaking of a next one... Shane?
    Maybe the weekend of January 5-6????

I would be up for the weekend of Jan 5-6th.
    Afraid of death? I am more afraid of going through life without ever really living...

Is January 5-6 take two for Moab? If it is I'm in.
    "Mountain climbers rope themselves together, probably to prevent the sensible ones from
    going home." Unknown.

I don't think I have anything planned, need to check with the boss and I am in...