Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to learn how to climb?

Best place to learn how to climb?

So I want to give climbing a try. Where

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The best/cheapest way is to hook up with someone that knows the ropes and tag along with them. You're welcome to come ice climbing with us this winter.

Gyms are good too, I just have always had a hard time wanting to spend the money.

Thanks jumar! That sounds awesome! I may take you up on that.

Will I be screwed if all my strength is in my lower body?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma
    Thanks jumar! That sounds awesome! I may take you up on that.

Will I be screwed if all my strength is in my lower body?
    Good climbing technique uses your legs more than your arms anyhoo. As much as is possible at least. My upper body is so out of shape these days that you shouldn't have a problem keeping up. That darn gravity sure feels stronger than it used to.

Re: Best place to learn how to climb?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma
    So I want to give climbing a try.
    I'm in the same boat. Want to try climbing but no friends interesting in having newbies doing 5.7's and 5.8's.

I won't have time or $$$ for ice this year but I've been thinking of offering to cook for a weekend trip to the Silent City of Rocks next spring just to get my feet wet.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

My upper body is so out of shape these days that you shouldn't have a problem keeping up.
    Wanna bet?

Definitely let me know next time you

Sounds good. i'm going to Joe's this weekend to see how the ice is coming along. Then I'll be in Dallas for a week, but I will likely go climbing sometime after that.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    i'm going to Joe's this weekend to see how the ice is coming along.
    Was in Joe's last weekend. Here's a short report on conditions we saw.

Climbed Melty Way. It is (way melty). Take rock gear, which, protects the soft, loose ice pretty well. We got on it in the a.m. which is prudent. Was a bit of a hair fest, though. Tough start to the season...

CCC Falls: the first pitch is fat.

Donorcicle: Formed to the ground but really thin and scary looking. We didn't get on it (no way) but, some other fellers rappelled it and decided against a TR even. But, after another week of cold temps?

Mary's Lake: from the reservior, with high power binocs, looked like at least 2 routes up there were in, and, one looked pretty fat.

Deadbolt: curtain wasn't touching but pretty close. Might be in by this weekend.

None of the other stuff (ampetheater, spear of fear, slip slidin', etc) was even a glimmer, which could spell rough for the balance of the season, as those seem to do well after good rain/snow recharges the water table. They looked pretty bone dry.

Drove back through Huntington. From the road, Inspired by Gravity looked in. That's an awesome route.

Stuff before you get to Price on 6 didn't look in yet. Dirtcicle wasn't touching. Etc.

Anyhoo...there ya go.

-Brian in SLC

I also would really love to learn to ice climb this year. I do some sport climbing in the summer, but am desperately seeking some winter activity.

Anyone willing to let me tag along, I learn quickly, I listen well, and I never whine or complain. ;)
    Afraid of death? I am more afraid of going through life without ever really living...

Maybe we should do a uutah ice climbing outing

I've only been out climbing once so far this year.
    But I'm happy to take you guys.

I'd make an appearance, for sure. Sounds like a great idea.

Excellent idea! I

Sounds great. What equipment do I need, beyond my sport climbing gear, to be sure to have?
    Afraid of death? I am more afraid of going through life without ever really living...

When would you guys be available? I have a business trip to Dallas coming up, so my wife may or may not let me go on Saturday. The 26th might work.

For what to bring, i have spares of a lot of stuff. Spares would likely be first come first serve, but you can rent most of it at Hansen's.

Here's a quick list.
    Axes
    Crampons
    Boots
    Helmet
    Harness
    Warm clothes (gloves, hat etc)
    If we have enough people coming, maybe someone else could bring another dry rope.

Stairway might be the best place to accomodate everyone, but will be crowded if we go on a saturday.

For what to bring, i have spares of a lot of stuff. Spares would likely be first come first serve, but you can rent most of it at Hansen's.
    Thinking about it, unless you don't have the money the stuff hansen's rents, is probably better equipment than my old stuff.

Any weekend would work for me. I can always make time for such an activity.

Quick question, would boots like these work fine or do I really need "ice climbing" boots?
    http://www.rei.com/product/721359

When would you guys be available? I have a business trip to Dallas coming up, so my wife may or may not let me go on Saturday. The 26th might work.
    Crap! I have appointments all day at the Outdoor Retailer Show that day. If you guys have another one let me know. I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by redbonez
    Any weekend would work for me. I can always make time for such an activity.

Quick question, would boots like these work fine or do I really need "ice climbing" boots?
    Ice climbing boots would be best. If you use any of my crampons, you need a boot that's crampon compatible (it'll have a lip on the toe and heel for the crampon to hook to).

For example, you put the front part of this crampon on the lip of the front of your boot, then clamp the back onto the heel.

You can see the lip on these boots

Quote Originally Posted by redbonez
    You'd need strap-on's, baby.

I started ice climbing with strap-on crampons (salewa's methinks). They can work ok IF you have stiff boots. Those boots look pretty floppy.

Yeah, its a poor carpenter that blames the tools, but, for steeper water ice, a stiff boot is nice.

-Brian in SLC