Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibram Five Fingers Footwear

Vibram Five Fingers Footwear

I just got a pair of these "Shoes" and wore them yesterday on the hard concrete and had hoped to go trail running last night, but the bottoms of my feet were too sore. I am guessing that maybe my feet will get used to being "barefoot"? Do any of you have experience with this footwear and if so, I wonder if I may solicit your opinions? I am considering bringing the line into my store as a retail item and any help would be appreciated! Thanks,
    Bo
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

"Beta"

Well....maybe no beta is a good thing? None of you have tried these "jewells"? I must admit they do look pretty.....ummmmm? Pretty strange! Well...I wore them for 2 hours on thursday on the hard concrete floor and my feet HURT that night. I wore them for 3 hours on friday on the hard concrete floor and my feet seem to have adjusted a little bit. I wore them for almost 5 hours today and my feet still hurt. Tomorrow I will try wearing them as long as I can on a hike up Petroglyph Canyon, over the saddle to Keyhole Canyon (maybe up to Jughandle Arch) and down Keyhole Canyon (No swimming). I hope I can persevere the pain (or no pain). I think I'm going thru mid-life crisis and have the need to go barefoot again!? Peace!

I've never worn the Five Fingers, but I have a a pair of Nike Free shoes that are supposed like going barefoot. (Although, the design of the Nike is quite a bit different from those of the Five Fingers). Nike suggests that you wear them around the house and for normal day-to-day junk for 7-10 days before you use them for running or other strenuous activities.

This guy was one of Vibram's original testers of the Five Finger, and may have good advice:
    http://www.barefootted.com/

I've had the Five Fingers low on my wish list for about 18 months. I like the idea of running barefooted, but I'm too much of a pansy to actually do it.

Bogley BigShot
    I need to try them out since I am the barefoot type and I bet my fat feet will be happy in them. Your bony feet Bo just are not the right types for those awesome shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    I need to try them out since I am the barefoot type and I bet my fat feet will be happy in them. Your bony feet Bo just are not the right types for those awesome shoes!
    My bony ugly feet certainly leave a lot to be desired, but they sure loved the hike up Ribbon yesterday wearing the "Fivefingers" until the snow just was too cold on my tootsies. I am anxious to use them much more often now. I am placing an order for 30 pair in the morning and maybe you'd like to try a pair?

Certainly a strange lookin' pair of flopper's. I have found that the goofy lookin' shoes are mainly just goofy.

Bogley BigShot
    I am the barefoot type. I really want to try them! My toes get so beat up with all the hiking and rubbing on shoes and then calluses from belly dance don't help.

I'v had a pair for a over a year. Mine are an early model without the strap across the top, the strap looks like a big plus. I like them well enough that I am planning to cough up the money for another pair.
    The family makes fun every time I wear them.

Bogley BigShot
    Have you wore them hiking? How are they are hard surfaces or uneven places like a river bottom?

No long hikes but I have had them camping in the mountains, desert and swiming in them, they are good water shoes and fit so snug that they are great for uneven surfaces. The rubber soles are just thin enough to transfer some feeling but still very durable. The top material is quite thin and not so durable, mine have a few small tears from general use.

I might try this model next. Just wish they had a cross for us desert dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    I'v had a pair for a over a year. Mine are an early model without the strap across the top, the strap looks like a big plus. I like them well enough that I am planning to cough up the money for another pair.
    The family makes fun every time I wear them.
    There is a strap across the top as well as two straps on each heel. They are very secure.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    where did you pick up a pair Keith?
    I should have some pairs of the mens "Sprint" in the store next week. I will have Taupe and Red. I'd be glad to sell you a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    No long hikes but I have had them camping in the mountains, desert and swiming in them, they are good water shoes and fit so snug that they are great for uneven surfaces. The rubber soles are just thin enough to transfer some feeling but still very durable. The top material is quite thin and not so durable, mine have a few small tears from general use.

I might try this model next. Just wish they had a cross for us desert dwellers.
    Vibram is coming out with a lower version of this model more or less. I think it will be available in the spring. They will have 5 models total for spring. The classic, the sprint, the KSO, the surge and the flow.
    [/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    They look light enough to fix easy in a pack if you did want to wear other shoes for the hiking part of a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    where did you pick up a pair Keith?
    When I purchased mine there were no distributors and only one model (what they now call the classic), I bought direct from Vibram. I think the straps on the "Sprint" model will help.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    They look light enough to fix easy in a pack if you did want to wear other shoes for the hiking part of a trip?
    I wore them again yesterday and I'm really beginning to love these "Soles"

Five Fingers Footwear or Not?

FWIW: I was to go out with my son Brandon climbing on Christmas Day. He never showed up at 11AM, so I decided to slip on my Fivefingers and head out to the multi-pitch "Wagasa" and check it out on my own. It is about 1 mile in over sand and rocks. Shoes performed very well. I got on the first pitch and the shoes climbed 5.7 flawlessly! Came down and headed home. Decided that I hadn't had enough trial yet. so headed up Red Mountain out of Ivins. The shoes once again were a delight as I scrambled up the 1500' vertical/ 1 mile talus hill. I have to admit that my feet were a bit sore when i got back to the car, but I think with time my feet will come to like this footwear very much!

Bogley BigShot
    Glad you got to get out. Dang teens!

I am anxious to try some of those new shoes. I do like to be barefoot or as close as I can get.