Thread: Garmin 530 HCx Users?

Garmin 530 HCx Users?

Does anyone have one of these? I'm thinking about getting a couple for our large group hiking and backpacking trips. I'd be interested in your opinions and experiences.

[img]buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=8523#[/img]

Edit: What? How do I put an image directly in the post?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have the 530 (not 530 hcx). I have enjoyed my unit for the national weather broadcast more than anything but it is my intention to upgrade this year to the hcx because of the external memory and the hcx has the same hyper sensitive antenna as the 60csx.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Have you had the chance to use the two-way radios? How about the Polling and Sending Location features that allow your partners to see where you are and vice versa.

Also, I noticed yesterday at Sportsman's Warehouse that the Magellan Triton GPS makes use of the National Geographic Topo maps. Have you seen this one yet?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

The nice thing about the hcx is you can have enough room to install the garmin topo maps and the street navigator on your unit at the same time

I have used the two way radio feature some and it has been convenient. One time I was house sitting and my friend asked me how to go to the house, I told him on the radio "I am right here" and he just set a way point from there. The main thing there is just having another Rino user to make it worth it.

I do however use the national weather broadcast feature all the time. Mush more than I thought I would. I have it in my car and on my GPS and I love it! I thought about getting the 60csx but I couldn't part with the weather broadcast. That is why the hcx is so perfect.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5