Thread: Canyoneering near Fairview?

Canyoneering near Fairview?

I am looking to take some inexperienced scouts on an all day canyon with in about 1-2 hours from Fairview. Technical or non, just want to give the boys some good options. I know that we could make it to goblin Valley area but I was hoping to stay as close as possible to their base camp. The camp would be summer 2008. Any info would be great. THANKS
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm thinking something in the northern Swell might be a little closer. The Upper and Lower Black Box might be the hot ticket, particularly if it's in the hot summer.

I don't have a map in front of me at the moment to check the exact roads, but I'm thinking the Black Box might be at least one hour closer then Goblin Valley.

Cool, thanks. Is Lower really a 3 day hike? It looks like fun. Do you know of any routes with some beginner rope work? I dont want to scare the boys but it would be nice to help them learn a new skill. Thanks.
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Ryan posted a variation on Upper awhile back, makes it shorter and has a rappel, but you still get the best stuff.

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/...black-box.html

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Was south of Scipio yesterday, found 3 canyons with good potential,will have to wait till snow is gone.

Where can I get full beta on upper black box canyon? I was thinking of the shorter version of the canyon by rapping in. Any info would be helpful..

Quote Originally Posted by chabidiah
    Where can I get full beta on upper black box canyon? I was thinking of the shorter version of the canyon by rapping in. Any info would be helpful..
    That link that Carpey posted has full beta, just register for free and log in. Kelsey describes both the long hiking option and the rappel (I think he says to handline after a downclimb, but warns this route is not for beginners) in his "Non-Technical Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau." I'm sure it's in his Swell book as well. Ryan's beta has a better map and more detailed info than Kelsey though.

Eric.

I posted the link in my first reply. It is on Ryan's site, outdoorzen.org.

Quote Originally Posted by chabidiah
    Is Lower really a 3 day hike?
    No, the LBB is about 7 hours and is a nice route.

Lower Black Box
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/lbb.htm

The problem with some info on the LBB is it lists the old way of doing the route by using the Swasey's Leap road, but the road is now closed and requires a long hike. The better way of doing the LBB that is listed in the link above uses the Sulpher Springs road and it's a much shorter hike.

Thanks guys, I'll check those out. Always appreciate the help..